Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard Vs Helston

9 minutes ago, Cornish Dave said:

Helston set for a relegation battle this season it seems 👀

Liskeard are probably a tough team to beat even for a Western league side. 
but I do agree I don’t see helston challenge for a title.  I would have expected cusack to have had more  of a budget and pull for players , you would argue blazey and liskeard both  have signed and improved thier squads with better players compared to helston. 

I went to this one. Thought Helston were ok at best in the first half, but after a couple of tweaks at half time a much improved second half followed. The introduction of colwell changed the game and was best player on the pitch in the second half.  Think there is always going to be a period of transition with Matt taking over from Steve.  Matts style of play will be very different to what they have been used to but fully expect them to be more than ok across what is a long season. 

As for Liskeard they looked like a team that have played together for a few seasons with good link up play between all the units on the pitch. I do think they could have made more of the man advantage after the red card but nevertheless a good work out for both teams, some good goals and good minutes in the legs ahead of their season openers. 

25 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Liskeard are probably a tough team to beat even for a Western league side. 
but I do agree I don’t see helston challenge for a title.  I would have expected cusack to have had more  of a budget and pull for players , you would argue blazey and liskeard both  have signed and improved thier squads with better players compared to helston. 

Possibly a transitional season for Helston. From what I have read, Matt Cusack is looking to change their style of play and bring in players to suit this system. 

Will be interesting to see how Rikki Shepherd and Tom Payne perform, two long time players at Millbrook and an integral part of their rise to the Western League

4 minutes ago, Dane said:

I went to this one. Thought Helston were ok at best in the first half, but after a couple of tweaks at half time a much improved second half followed. The introduction of colwell changed the game and was best player on the pitch in the second half.  Think there is always going to be a period of transition with Matt taking over from Steve.  Matts style of play will be very different to what they have been used to but fully expect them to be more than ok across what is a long season. 

As for Liskeard they looked like a team that have played together for a few seasons with good link up play between all the units on the pitch. I do think they could have made more of the man advantage after the red card but nevertheless a good work out for both teams, some good goals and good minutes in the legs ahead of their season openers. 

Beat me to it Dane. Agree with you regarding Liskeard, they will be a hard team to beat this season. Could be a few cricket scores against the lesser sides if the Lorenz and Jennings partnership clicks into place.

Didn’t see last night’s game (stayed in to watch England on TV) but I did see Helston get held to a 1-1 draw by Teignmouth on Saturday. The result felt about right to me although it took Helston until the 89th minute to get their equaliser, and based on his interview in the Packet Helston’s new manager seemed to think the draw was a fair reflection too.  Helston had a few regulars away and gave debuts to a 16yo and a 17yo but even so a draw at home against a SWPL side isn’t promising. 

Think Dane is pretty much spot on to be honest, if anyone finishes above Liskeard they’ll win it! Said to Hodgie and Lee when I spoke to them quickly at the game last week I thought they would win it and I said the same to Lafs and Sweeter at the Blazey game the other night I think they’ll be the runners up. Seen a few sides in pre season and they are the outstanding two for me. Think the fact the Blues have played together for a few seasons and just adding DJ to that will tip it in their balance but Blazey already look an accomplished side for a new team, like what Ficey has done already, got a real shape and balance about them. Wendron look quality again in pre season and have added to their squad including two cracking players from Penryn. Mike done an absolutely fantastic job there last season and I can see them matching their 3rd spot again in the table. Obviously saw quite a bit of Wadebridge in pre season and some of the possession football they’ve been playing is unreal! 30/40 passes at times, Rower added some real quality to his already decent team and could well be a dark horse although I noticed that the Bridgers have got Liskeard and Blazey both away evening games and Wendron at home in 3 of their first 4 games which ain’t the luckiest of opening fixtures!! Cheers for that Phil!! 🤔😲 Plenty more dark horses as well and teams I haven’t seen yet, Dobwalls over achieve every season it seems, Reg will always get a competitive side together at Camelford, Shaun did an amazing job at Callington coming in halfway through last season, a new challenge for Matt at Bodmin trying to fill Gilbeys massive shoes! Be like clowns shoes to fill those buggers!! Like Fergie leaving Utd those shoes!! I’m sure other sides will surprise as well, I’m a big fan of Sparky at St.Austell and he’s got a couple Cornish football legends in Chappy and Slates back to the club this season, I could go on really but won’t! I think anyone thinking it’ll be a crap league or fish and chip 🍟 league this season will think otherwise when you mention that lot! Honestly think it’ll be a really good season and the teams know probably a top 5 possibly 6 spot will be good enough to get promotion to the new set up for the following season, plenty to look forward to for the 22/23 season ahead in my opinion and with our 6 Cornish sides already in the Western league be an exciting season I reckon!? #lovecornishfootie 👍