Cornwall Football Forum

St Just/Penzance double friendly

Well I travelled up to the Mecca of Cornish football that is Lafrowda Park yesterday to see how Penzance were getting on with the construction of Rome! 
And I unfortunately must say it’s not good news, firstly I was taken back when I seen this friendly announced due to it being a real “nothing to gain” match for Penzance especially in their current position, St Just go into the game with everything to gain as it’s a free hit for them no expectations. With what seemed pretty much the same squad that crawled across the line against the Pendeen team they started ok (which you would expect) plenty of the ball with lots of chasing down from the St Justers with no evident system or shape but nothing that would be of any surprise from a Junior team, with the crowd enjoying the premium larger available the St Justers were feeding off the atmosphere the “locals” were creating and the home team managing to take the lead through Ashley Ellis and a mistake from the clearly injured Mike Flores who was shortly after replaced (why he even started the game is beyond me as it’s well known he was injured). Penzance again having lots of the ball with Kevin Lawrence having lots of space in the middle with St Just not adjusting they’re shape to counter this, more possession from Penzance but I don’t remember any real attempts to trouble the St Just Goalkeeper, lots of side to side football but Penzance didn’t look like troubling in the final third at all.

St Just continued to chase and out muscle the Penzance team which only fuelled the already vocal home crowd, a few strange decisions from the young St Just linesman added to the atmosphere including a disallowed goal which was clearly onside but in all honesty they didn’t deserve it, St Just then dominated the last period with the departure of the influential Lawrence and it could have been an increased score line, a very relived management team upon hearing the final whistle blow which now leaves very big question marks around this team and management for the new campaign ahead. 
I stayed on to watch the reserves play the St Just 2nd team straight after and that was a real spectacle, the new look Penzance reserves started well and had some good new signings on show, Penzance had all the ball and we’re moving it swiftly around the pitch, the youngster upfront for Penzance was lively and looked a real goal threat until the St Just team decided to kick him until he had to go off, honestly the lad got absolutely booted on and off the ball  until he had to retire with the last challenge on him resulting in him shrieking out aloud, this continued throughout the game with some absolutely ludicrous tackles going unpunished by the referee (who I thought was poor in both games), with the again already intoxicated crowd fuelling the atmosphere it was becoming a serious risk to player safety with continued dangerous tackles and off the ball incidents everywhere, a player from each getting sent off in one altercation which was always going to happen. St Just then bringing on a couple of the first team lads who played the 1st game and they then had most of the possession, the young Penzance Captain seemed a strange choice for the armband to me and my fellow spectators, flying in at every opportunity, arguing with supporters throughout and making error after error including a ridiculous rugby tackle in the area resulting in a stone wall St Just penalty which was slotted home by the young first team player, not a great Captains performance ??? 
So with the final whistle resulting in a bad day at the office for both Penzance teams we chose to treat ourselves to a Chinese on the way home which we ate overlooking the Cape which was delightful.

1 hour ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Well I travelled up to the Mecca of Cornish football that is Lafrowda Park yesterday to see how Penzance were getting on with the construction of Rome! 
And I unfortunately must say it’s not good news, firstly I was taken back when I seen this friendly announced due to it being a real “nothing to gain” match for Penzance especially in their current position, St Just go into the game with everything to gain as it’s a free hit for them no expectations. With what seemed pretty much the same squad that crawled across the line against the Pendeen team they started ok (which you would expect) plenty of the ball with lots of chasing down from the St Justers with no evident system or shape but nothing that would be of any surprise from a Junior team, with the crowd enjoying the premium larger available the St Justers were feeding off the atmosphere the “locals” were creating and the home team managing to take the lead through Ashley Ellis and a mistake from the clearly injured Mike Flores who was shortly after replaced (why he even started the game is beyond me as it’s well known he was injured). Penzance again having lots of the ball with Kevin Lawrence having lots of space in the middle with St Just not adjusting they’re shape to counter this, more possession from Penzance but I don’t remember any real attempts to trouble the St Just Goalkeeper, lots of side to side football but Penzance didn’t look like troubling in the final third at all.

St Just continued to chase and out muscle the Penzance team which only fuelled the already vocal home crowd, a few strange decisions from the young St Just linesman added to the atmosphere including a disallowed goal which was clearly onside but in all honesty they didn’t deserve it, St Just then dominated the last period with the departure of the influential Lawrence and it could have been an increased score line, a very relived management team upon hearing the final whistle blow which now leaves very big question marks around this team and management for the new campaign ahead. 
I stayed on to watch the reserves play the St Just 2nd team straight after and that was a real spectacle, the new look Penzance reserves started well and had some good new signings on show, Penzance had all the ball and we’re moving it swiftly around the pitch, the youngster upfront for Penzance was lively and looked a real goal threat until the St Just team decided to kick him until he had to go off, honestly the lad got absolutely booted on and off the ball  until he had to retire with the last challenge on him resulting in him shrieking out aloud, this continued throughout the game with some absolutely ludicrous tackles going unpunished by the referee (who I thought was poor in both games), with the again already intoxicated crowd fuelling the atmosphere it was becoming a serious risk to player safety with continued dangerous tackles and off the ball incidents everywhere, a player from each getting sent off in one altercation which was always going to happen. St Just then bringing on a couple of the first team lads who played the 1st game and they then had most of the possession, the young Penzance Captain seemed a strange choice for the armband to me and my fellow spectators, flying in at every opportunity, arguing with supporters throughout and making error after error including a ridiculous rugby tackle in the area resulting in a stone wall St Just penalty which was slotted home by the young first team player, not a great Captains performance ??? 
So with the final whistle resulting in a bad day at the office for both Penzance teams we chose to treat ourselves to a Chinese on the way home which we ate overlooking the Cape which was delightful.

Anybody know the phone number for the Samaritans….? I think the whole forum community are praying that your Chinese was palatable 🤣🤣🤣