Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday August 6 2022

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Mullion deservedly finished their first-ever SWPL game with a 4-1 win at home to Camelford. It was a fully deserved three points against quite an unrecognised opposition from last season’s campaign.

Camelford had to make a pre-match change to their line-up after skipper Adam Sleep went over on his ankle in the warm-up and their afternoon soon got worse with Mullion going two up early on. The first came after only 4 minutes with Josh Wilson-Hone touching the ball home after getting in amongst the defence and Camels keeper Josh Colwill.

Their second was a header from Phil Cattran who throughout made playing midfield on a very hard pitch look easy. I’m not sure how much he knew about the goal though as he was positioned beyond the far post and it seemed as if the ball all but bounced off his head and back through a packed 6 yard box and into the net! I was half a pitch away though!

Tyler Cheshire pulled one back ten minutes before the half-time break with a well-struck shot into the top corner. Paul Williams, in goal, had no chance of stopping it. However the visitors cause to get back completely into the game wasn’t helped when midfielder Charlie Hambly was sin-binned soon after.

Midway through the second-half Wilson-Hone once again made the most of a hesitant defence for his second of the afternoon and the scoreline was completed with Harry Roberts hammering home from not too far out with Colwill, although getting a touch on the ball, having no way of stopping it going in.

In the end Mullion, runners-up in last season’s St Piran West, finished comfortable winners with Wilson-Hone probably wondering how he didn’t actually get a hat-trick!

I have to admit I didn’t recognise too many of Camelford’s side which made me look deeper today. 4 of them didn’t play for Camelford last season; 3 played 5 or less. 8 players (including Sleep) who each made 19 league appearances or more for them last season were not there – either having moved on, injured, suspended, retired or whatever! Reg could well have another rebuilding exercise on his hands!

Fair report Dave, I watch Camels most weeks and I didn't recognize many of the players either. Only 4 started from the team that beat St Blazey last day of last season. The boys that did play did ok having not played together even in pre season I think Reg got his work cut out this season unless he can make some  quality signings, going to have sterner  tests than Mullion this season.

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

Easy to say get rid of the manger but who’s going to go in at Bodmin? Darren isn’t going back so move on.  

Totally agree. Bodmin’s difficulties over the last few seasons won’t be sorted in the blink of an eye. They seem to be going about it the right way, forming a second team, asking for more volunteers and rebuilding the 1st team from more or less scratch. They may have a slow start, however, if they form a settled side I’m sure they’ll continue to improve as the season goes on. For me, it’s all about signing the right players who are reliable and will improve with time and don’t get their heads turned by more money. Bodmin need to hold their nerve and they’ll be fine. 

20 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Mullion deservedly finished their first-ever SWPL game with a 4-1 win at home to Camelford. It was a fully deserved three points against quite an unrecognised opposition from last season’s campaign.

Camelford had to make a pre-match change to their line-up after skipper Adam Sleep went over on his ankle in the warm-up and their afternoon soon got worse with Mullion going two up early on. The first came after only 4 minutes with Josh Wilson-Hone touching the ball home after getting in amongst the defence and Camels keeper Josh Colwill.

Their second was a header from Phil Cattran who throughout made playing midfield on a very hard pitch look easy. I’m not sure how much he knew about the goal though as he was positioned beyond the far post and it seemed as if the ball all but bounced off his head and back through a packed 6 yard box and into the net! I was half a pitch away though!

Tyler Cheshire pulled one back ten minutes before the half-time break with a well-struck shot into the top corner. Paul Williams, in goal, had no chance of stopping it. However the visitors cause to get back completely into the game wasn’t helped when midfielder Charlie Hambly was sin-binned soon after.

Midway through the second-half Wilson-Hone once again made the most of a hesitant defence for his second of the afternoon and the scoreline was completed with Harry Roberts hammering home from not too far out with Colwill, although getting a touch on the ball, having no way of stopping it going in.

In the end Mullion, runners-up in last season’s St Piran West, finished comfortable winners with Wilson-Hone probably wondering how he didn’t actually get a hat-trick!

I have to admit I didn’t recognise too many of Camelford’s side which made me look deeper today. 4 of them didn’t play for Camelford last season; 3 played 5 or less. 8 players (including Sleep) who each made 19 league appearances or more for them last season were not there – either having moved on, injured, suspended, retired or whatever! Reg could well have another rebuilding exercise on his hands!

Will be interested to see how a fully fit and playing every week Phil Cattran goes at Mullion. One of the very highly rated youngsters at Helston a few years back, who has lost a few seasons to injury.

2 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Totally agree. Bodmin’s difficulties over the last few seasons won’t be sorted in the blink of an eye. They seem to be going about it the right way, forming a second team, asking for more volunteers and rebuilding the 1st team from more or less scratch. They may have a slow start, however, if they form a settled side I’m sure they’ll continue to improve as the season goes on. For me, it’s all about signing the right players who are reliable and will improve with time and don’t get their heads turned by more money. Bodmin need to hold their nerve and they’ll be fine. 

Building from the bottom up, and engaging the locals is the only sustainable way back. It was a long road back for Liskeard, but they have done it with a strong nucleus of local management, (I know Lee Mann is Plymouth based) players and new volunteers coming on board alongside the stalwarts. No quick fix for Bodmin I'm afraid, may take many seasons and a selection of managers that come and go.

1 hour ago, FootballChat said:

Does anyone really think Bodmin will ditch Matt Hayden because of some colourful language towards the referee? 
They didn’t seem to care for however many years Darren was in charge so why would that change? As a club they clearly don’t see this behaviour as an issue.

For many years though Darren Gilbert was effectively Bodmin Town, he was also (up until 5 or so years ago) consistently winning trophies and delivering runs in the FA Vase.  It is now apparent how integral he was to keeping the club going on and off the pitch, and what a gap he has left behind.

13 hours ago, FootballChat said:

Does anyone really think Bodmin will ditch Matt Hayden because of some colourful language towards the referee? 
They didn’t seem to care for however many years Darren was in charge so why would that change? As a club they clearly don’t see this behaviour as an issue.

Seems like looking at St. Austells club statement things were far more serious at Poltair on Saturday .... Opening day of the season as well. Shocking. 

On 07/08/2022 at 16:34, Dave Deacon said:

Not the reshuffle but the levels where teams should be 

People obviously have different opinions of "where teams should be" but the final league position is the only decision maker. The latest re-structure is all about reducing travel for teams at Step 5; with more teams at that level, there's bound to be a drop in over-all standards, with the same knock-on effect at lower levels.

Unfortunately, the usual merry-go-round of players & managers means that the strength and performance of teams cannot always be carried forward to the following season. The cream always rises to the top but there's no guarantee that it won't turn sour!

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Seems like looking at St. Austells club statement things were far more serious at Poltair on Saturday .... Opening day of the season as well. Shocking. 

Well done to St Austell for taking prompt action, and then putting a statement out regarding the incident.

At a time when when Cornish clubs need all the supporters, volunteers and players that they can get, morons like this that put people off need purging out.

On 08/08/2022 at 12:52, Yourhavingalaugh said:

More money?! Some of them are on ridiculous amounts anyway!

I actually think it’s going to be a great season, what’s considered a shock in previous seasons won’t be, it’s an open league. I’ve watched some great football pre season. 

Godolphin beat Launceston 6-0 at weekend and people were predicting on here Launceston would be beat 10-0 tonight by Liskeard, it was only 2-1. 
Godolphin better than people thought, or Liskeard not walking to the title as people thought?

I think it’s exciting to see an open league, some of these young chaps are great players getting a chance to shine now