Cornwall Football Forum

Hot weather

36 minutes ago, FootballChat said:

Does the league have any rule in place to permit drinks breaks during the games? 
I’ve heard a mixture of view pre season from referees, some say it’s not permitted in the rules but others say go for it.

Hopefully common sense prevails during the 30C temperatures forecast around the county.

Something will be coming out before the weekend from leagues.

Might be a shock to some but their is quite a lot of common sense out there 😉 - Refs discretion when the weather is Uber-Toasty as long as both management teams are happy for it to happen and usually kicks in around the 20-25 min mark in a natural break in play……….quite funny to watch it though as the players take a few sips and then huddle in to attempt to steal a few extra seconds of a tactical masterclass chat 😂😂

10 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

No ref will want to be in a situation where a players collapsed with dehydration because he been refused a sip of water in a Cornish football match. Just pure commen sense in this weather.you  Don’t need the ok from higher up. 

Absolutely quite right. And no ref would ever refuse a player taking on board fluids. 

However, the laws of the game defines a drinks break (which is also different from a cooling break, difference being time and purpose) and it specifically states if competition rules permit. 

Even where an official drinks break is not permitted there are opportunities during a game where fluids can be taken in. 

It's administrative really. With drinks break permitted the referee can actually stop the game for a minute for players to get a drink. Without it, strictly speaking it should be at a natural stoppage or break in play.

But absolutely there would never be a refusal for a player or players to take on water, extreme heat or not. But that's as and when, rather than a set about time for it to happen.

I believe they have been agreed for this weekend anyway so no danger. Expect to see drinks breaks across the leagues.

In reality, we'd have seen them anyway as even us refs will be gasping for a drink too. 

Never mind drink stoppages, with plus-30-degree heat forecast for Saturday there's rumblings across Non League that some fixtures maybe postponed in the interest of player safety. Heat stroke factors etc.

If games go ahead, would imagine spectators will be choosing grounds that offer a degree of shade.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

I wonder how a Saturday night 7.30pm kick off would go down for a hot summers fixture. 

Good idea but You won’t get many player votes for that I bet. That eating into players nights out. Wonder how many unavailables  you get. 
also would work in the western league as it would be too late to travel. 

20 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Good idea but You won’t get many player votes for that I bet. That eating into players nights out. Wonder how many unavailables  you get. 

3am kick off on a Sunday morning? Nice and cool, players making their way home from a Saturday night out. 😁

21 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Maybe just something to trial as a one off. 1st game of the season, St Austell and St Blazey home at 3pm. Could one of us have had a late kick off and if it clashes a month later the other side have a late kick off. Maybe just do it twice a season each for example. If it means more people through the gate and supporters get to watch two local sides, maybe not a bad thing. 

5 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Plenty of that went on in Sunday 1030 am ko back in the day. 😂

Yes, remember players turning up at 10.29am very much worse for wear. On one occasion, somebody turned up with his previous night's "liaison ", and couldn't remember her name. And no, she wasn't hastily signed up and named as a sub.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Yes, remember players turning up at 10.29am very much worse for wear. On one occasion, somebody turned up with his previous night's "liaison ", and couldn't remember her name. And no, she wasn't hastily signed up and named as a sub.

The good old days. Remember playing for 1 Sunday side turned and we only had 10 men then. First five mins we lose another with head injury down to 9  then 30 mins later 2 had to go to work as their  pager went off. Played on with 7 till ref called it off    We we’re only 1 down as well.  Then back the pub.  Definitely the fun side of it Sunday football. 

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

The good old days. Remember playing for 1 Sunday side turned and we only had 10 men then. First five mins we lose another with head injury down to 9  then 30 mins later 2 had to go to work as their  pager went off. Played on with 7 till ref called it off    We we’re only 1 down as well.  Then back the pub.  Definitely the fun side of it Sunday football. 

Great times, many stories. Really surprised nobody has every written a book about Sunday morning football. 

I still remember subs stood on the touchline in their under pants, as we only had 11 pairs of shorts and they had to swap with the player coming off.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Great times, many stories. Really surprised nobody has every written a book about Sunday morning football. 

I still remember subs stood on the touchline in their under pants, as we only had 11 pairs of shorts and they had to swap with the player coming off.

Not a book but there’s a great Instagram page of photos from Cornish Sunday League sides from a former Uni student I believe. Not sure it’s been updated in a while but worth a quick look. 

https://instagram.com/sunday_league?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=