Launceston                      0-5                       St Blazey

Penzance                          1-3                       St Dennis

St Austell                          1-0                       Callington Town

Wadebridge Town          3-1                       Wendron United

WADEBRIDGE  (2)  3          Smale 5’   Willis 41’   Beare 49’

WENDRON   (1)   1               C.Young 12’

ATT:  counted bout 85 I think?

Pitch temp : 32c!!!  🥵🥵🥵

Firstly can I just say how much I admired those 28 or so players and 3 officials today for serving up a decent game in conditions that most of them I would have thought have never played 90 minutes football in. 

The intense heat and little or no breeze was almost unbearable just to sit and watch let alone run around for 90 minutes on an almost concrete pitch! I know it was the same for everyone who played today but these must be 2 of the fittest teams around the county! Very impressive fitness levels on show.

Difficult to play too much attractive football with the ball bouncing around your ears every 5 minutes but the hosts took an early lead when some great work in the right corner flag saw captain Tom Strike dig out a cross which was partially cleared into the air for Jacob Smale to volley the dropping ball low into the net from 15 yards. It didn’t take too long for the visitors to get back into the match when a free kick delivery from the right by Joe Souch was superbly headed into the corner of the net by centre forward Charlie Young. 

The Bridgers snuck back in front just before half time when a superb 40 yard diagonal cross field pass by Jack Rapsey saw debutant Charlie Willis borrowed from Mousehole because of the Bridgers player shortage (just the 7 out today! ) control the ball brilliantly, cut inside and shoot low into the net. The Dron almost restored parity straight away when a lovely whipped in cross from left back Reece Carroll saw Jack Stocker do everything right really, header back across the goal but it went just wide of the far post,

The hosts scored what proved to be the all important goal 4 minutes into the 2nd half when Sam Wickins playing his last game before he goes off on a football scholarship to the states this weekend cut the ball back from the byline for Ross Beare to time his run perfectly to crash the ball into the top corner from just inside the box despite the best efforts of Dron keeper Ethan Fearn who got a few fingers to the ball on its way into the top bin.

Fearn was carrying a foot injury by now but made a superb reflex save to deny Rapsey a Bridgers 4th tipping his sharp shot on the turn over the bar. The Dron never stopped trying which was commendable in the stifling heat and forced half a dozen corners in the last 10 minutes but the hosts managed to see out the game really well for a possible surprise victory considering all the absentees with Wendron just missing their ace new signing from Penryn Russell May away on holiday. 

Wadebridge take their depleted outfit to league favourites Liskeard on Wednesday night hoping for another character building performance while Wendron got a midweek break before they travel to St.Dennis next Saturday who came away from Penzance with a superb 3-1 today.

Nice to have a quick 10 minute chat with gentlemen Mr Ben Slater and Mr Nigel Semmens before the game and always a pleasure to catch up with my old Newquay Combo gaffer Ian Carhart who gave a 15 year old wet behind the ears Malabar striker a chance to play for a massive club like the Peppermints, got a lot to thank the boss for. Good days football but the big thing to come out of today was the commitment of both teams regardless of whatever result to play like they did in that heat, you have my full admiration lads. Poor Brad Rowe a massive 16 year old talent who had a great debut the other night at Blazey was physically sick in the changing room and had to come off at half time with heatstroke bless him. Jack said it was the hottest conditions he’d ever played in and he’s had a few tournaments in Spain, Germany, Portugal  etc as a youngster. Well done to the ref, plenty of common sense, good decision making and wasn’t too fussy if the players grabbed a quick drink outside of the two allotted drinks breaks, a job well done. 

Dobwalls 0 Mullion 0

credit to both teams playing in such hot conditions, probably a fair result as neither team really tested the goalies throughout the 90 minutes. As a Dobwalls supporter it was good to see a few younger players in their team who all performed with credit. Referee in my opinion did his job quietly and efficiently. 

21 hours ago, Graham Deacon said:

Dobwalls 0 Mullion 0

credit to both teams playing in such hot conditions, probably a fair result as neither team really tested the goalies throughout the 90 minutes. As a Dobwalls supporter it was good to see a few younger players in their team who all performed with credit. Referee in my opinion did his job quietly and efficiently. 

Dobwalls did however hit the woodwork twice