Cornwall Football Forum

FALMOUTH 3 TORPOINT 1 - Wednesday 17 August 2022

mattelot

A good performance by town in front of a crowd of 361 which moved them up to 6th in the table .Town scorers were Tim Nixon (11mins) Charlie Edney (30 mins ) and Luke Barner 45 mins .Ryan Richards scoring for Torpoint midway through the 2nd half .

The game was marred as early as the 6th minute when Alex Wharton was assaulted by a forearm smash to the back of the head by a Torpoint Defender ,right in front of the linesman with the referee behind the incident .After a brief discussion the referee decided no further action was required to the astonishment of the majority of the crowd .Alex had to be subbed with suspected concussion.

38 minutes ago, mattelot said:

A good performance by town in front of a crowd of 361 which moved them up to 6th in the table .Town scorers were Tim Nixon (11mins) Charlie Edney (30 mins ) and Luke Barner 45 mins .Ryan Richards scoring for Torpoint midway through the 2nd half .

The game was marred as early as the 6th minute when Alex Wharton was assaulted by a forearm smash to the back of the head by a Torpoint Defender ,right in front of the linesman with the referee behind the incident .After a brief discussion the referee decided no further action was required to the astonishment of the majority of the crowd .Alex had to be subbed with suspected concussion.

Going to stick my neck out here - I was the Assistant Referee, I didn’t see a forearm smash! I did see the away defender come in a bit hot through the back of the Falmouth Forward and I gave the foul. I was positioned at pitch level and was also trying to keep an eye on the line to make sure I was in the correct position to signal an offside if required,  if a forearm was used i didn’t see it but will just add I really enjoyed the remaining 84 min of regular abuse from both crowd and players after that it made my night!

Been a tough old season for torpoint so far with arguably the best strikers in the league it’s not been great. . Losing Calum obrien back to Saltash start of the season didn’t  help.  Falmouth on the other hand seem to be enjoying it.  I still think the bigger tests will come away.  But millbrook , Saltash helston , moushole and Falmouth all starting to find their feet it going be a great battle in the league. 

4 hours ago, Pitty said:

Going to stick my neck out here - I was the Assistant Referee, I didn’t see a forearm smash! I did see the away defender come in a bit hot through the back of the Falmouth Forward and I gave the foul. I was positioned at pitch level and was also trying to keep an eye on the line to make sure I was in the correct position to signal an offside if required,  if a forearm was used i didn’t see it but will just add I really enjoyed the remaining 84 min of regular abuse from both crowd and players after that it made my night!

And there you go, it all depends where you are standing what you see compared to others many yards away.

You had the flag and in a great position by the sound of it, well played you and great post.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And there you go, it all depends where you are standing what you see compared to others many yards away.

You had the flag and in a great position by the sound of it, well played you and great post.

If you'd been there Dave ,you wouldn't have said that .A former referee watching said it was a straight red and I'm sure the torpoint player will be looking himself in the mirror this morning thinking he got away with one there .

8 hours ago, Pitty said:

Are you told to put up wuth more abuse at the higher level Neil?  As we all know,  if you play junior football,  most abuse towards a referee will get dealt with firmly. 

I've seen a referee -  who has not retired - caution players in the Falmouth Helston league for questioning a decision,  yet in the SWPL took all kinds of abuse and never did a thing. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to FALMOUTH 3 TORPOINT 1 - Wednesday 17 August 2022
8 hours ago, Pitty said:

will just add I really enjoyed the remaining 84 min of regular abuse from both crowd and players after that it made my night!

Pathetic that Match Officials are treated like this, without them there wouldn't be a game.

When you consider this happened at Non League level it's ridiculous 🤦‍♂️

Mind you, considering the venue, alongside their self inflated opinion of themselves, it doesn't seem surprising.

3 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Pathetic that Match Officials are treated like this, without them there wouldn't be a game.

When you consider this happened at Non League level it's ridiculous 🤦‍♂️

Mind you, considering the venue, alongside their self inflated opinion of themselves, it doesn't seem surprising.

Uwdi presumably you weren't there .Anyone that was,cannot have failed to have been horrified by the incident .It was violent conduct that escaped any punishment ,not even a yellow card .It has nothing to do with the venue ,it would have sparked the same reaction anywhere in the country .

8 minutes ago, Toastie said:

A lot of mistakes last night by the officials. Things were being let go when they should have been free kicks and free kicks given when they were perfectly good challenges. Just have to put it down as a bad day at the office 

Bad day at the office? Maybe 

excuse to barrage the officials with constant abuse? Absolutely not!

The personal abuse that officials get in general now a days is horrendous and it needs to stop. Officials and even club linesman are getting so much abuse and in a minute, we won’t have a game that we all love because no one will want to officiate a game. 

9 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Bad day at the office? Maybe 

excuse to barrage the officials with constant abuse? Absolutely not!

The personal abuse that officials get in general now a days is horrendous and it needs to stop. Officials and even club linesman are getting so much abuse and in a minute, we won’t have a game that we all love because no one will want to officiate a game. 

The referees need to be toughger with it and need to be supported from above. The same laws need to be implemented no matter what level. 

If you are abusive towards an official then you get sent off. It would stop the issue from happening. 

3 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

There you go again, just can't help yourself can you.  I've read Pitty's comment above and I accept what he said.

12 hours ago, Pitty said:

I was the Assistant Referee, I didn’t see a forearm smash! I did see the away defender come in a bit hot through the back of the Falmouth Forward and I gave the foul.

From where he was standing, he made the best decision he could, but having told the referee this and the fact that the Falmouth player was floored on the pitch for several minutes, I cannot understand why the referee didn't caution the Torpoint defender and give him a yellow card. 

The abuse the officials get should not be condone, I've given enough through the years. However much of it is through frustration of poor decisions, not all but most. If officials, particularly refs had the ability, experience and were able to ref at that level then I believe there would be less and less abuse.  Ie why quickly promote someone who is not able to do job, answer is numbers!!! There we have the chicken and egg situation. 

I was actually behind Pitty from an elevated level and have never seen such a blatant assault with a forearm on a pitch.  However I have ran the line as a club linesperson, so from my elevated position I saw the Torpoint 6 smash Alex, I saw it 5 yards before he did it, his arm coming up, the intent on his face and the subsequent impact. I saw this as I  have the luxury of not having to assure ball contact from player, direction of ball, concentrate on line and probably ensuring the Torpoint 6 also didn't take me out being that close!!  I applaud Pitty coming on and posting, all about perspectives and know its difficult but you can only call what you see. I do feel the ref let the game start to get out of hand, needless cards for some and assaults going unpunished, that leads to frustration. 

5 hours ago, mattelot said:

If you'd been there Dave ,you wouldn't have said that .A former referee watching said it was a straight red and I'm sure the torpoint player will be looking himself in the mirror this morning thinking he got away with one there .

Wasn't there bud but every game is now becoming about the match officials,  I say just get on with it,  it all evens itself out in the end.

7 minutes ago, EddieD said:

I was actually behind Pitty from an elevated level and have never seen such a blatant assault with a forearm on a pitch.  However I have ran the line as a club linesperson, so from my elevated position I saw the Torpoint 6 smash Alex, I saw it 5 yards before he did it, his arm coming up, the intent on his face and the subsequent impact.

Interesting comment Eddie.  I was on the top terrace of the Packet End, so I saw the Torpoint No:6's arm clearly raised as he came in on Alex Wharton.  It certainly looked intentional to me.  However, I accept Pitty acted in accordance with what he saw, it's the referee's decision not at least issue a yellow card that I fail to understand.

1 hour ago, EddieD said:

The abuse the officials get should not be condone, I've given enough through the years. However much of it is through frustration of poor decisions, not all but most. If officials, particularly refs had the ability, experience and were able to ref at that level then I believe there would be less and less abuse.  Ie why quickly promote someone who is not able to do job, answer is numbers!!! There we have the chicken and egg situation. 

I was actually behind Pitty from an elevated level and have never seen such a blatant assault with a forearm on a pitch.  However I have ran the line as a club linesperson, so from my elevated position I saw the Torpoint 6 smash Alex, I saw it 5 yards before he did it, his arm coming up, the intent on his face and the subsequent impact. I saw this as I  have the luxury of not having to assure ball contact from player, direction of ball, concentrate on line and probably ensuring the Torpoint 6 also didn't take me out being that close!!  I applaud Pitty coming on and posting, all about perspectives and know its difficult but you can only call what you see. I do feel the ref let the game start to get out of hand, needless cards for some and assaults going unpunished, that leads to frustration. 

Out of interest I believe your son is now playing at Falmouth how would you feel if people took to this site finding faults with his performance?

38 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Being in the very early minutes of the game probably saved the defender no.6 from getting punished. He did get booked later in the second half.

I was told he quickly ran back into his pack to get out of the lime light.

I wonder if there is any film from the automatic cam ball camera.

Don't know if Falmouth, like many clubs do now, were filming the match for future highlights clips, but, if they were, would there be a situation where it could be looked at for any retrospective disciplinary action to be taken? No idea if such a process exists at step 5 level.

11 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Out of interest I believe your son is now playing at Falmouth how would you feel if people took to this site finding faults with his performance?

If my son did something that warranted a red card he would be told, likewise if I feel he got away with one.  if he asks my opinion of his performance he will also be told my opinion. Football is subjective and all about opinions hence why we love it. This is not a dig at Torpoint No6, he tried intimidating players and didn't work, he fouled a player and got away with it. I've been in exactly the same situation as a player. He actually looked a decent player, but as a centre back not wanting to find himself out wide against a smaller nippy winger...... again been there done that. 

28 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Don't know if Falmouth, like many clubs do now, were filming the match for future highlights clips, but, if they were, would there be a situation where it could be looked at for any retrospective disciplinary action to be taken? No idea if such a process exists at step 5 level.

It certainly exists the other way around, as last season Buckland got a red card overturned after submitting footage filmed by Saltash. If you can get a card rescinded then I would say they can issue one retrospectively. 

19 hours ago, Pitty said:

Credit to you Pitty for coming on here and putting across your perspective of the incident.It would be good if the referee could explain how after his conversation with you he came to the conclusion that despite Alex being taken out from behind in the manner that happened and awarding a free kick he deemed it unnecessary  to even dish out a yellow card .

I'm also reliably informed that there was a C.F.A. member present ,so maybe retrospective punishment could be forth coming .

11 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Credit to you Pitty for coming on here and putting across your perspective of the incident.It would be good if the referee could explain how after his conversation with you he came to the conclusion that despite Alex being taken out from behind in the manner that happened and awarding a free kick he deemed it unnecessary  to even dish out a yellow card .

I'm also reliably informed that there was a C.F.A. member present ,so maybe retrospective punishment could be forth coming .

The referee can't give what he/she can't see and base a decision on assumption

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

The referee can't give what he/she can't see and base a decision on assumption

I don't know how the referee didn't see it?

Linesman has to watch to see who has the last touch, has to make sure the ball goes out of play, and keep himself safe as two players are flying towards him. Referee has a much bigger picture of the incident and didn't see a thing 🤔 

I was buying a cup of tea, and still managed to see a blatant forearm to the neck/jaw area, which thankfully the falmouth no7 managed to get up after treatment and hopefully is ok today. 

There were several what looked like bad challenges in the game around ankle height, these can happen as two players collide at pace, but the raised forearm was no accident.