PREMIER DIVISION

Helston Athletic                2-1              Falmouth Town

Millbrook                             0-1            Saltash United

Shepton Mallet                 3-0         Buckland Athletic

Torpoint Athletic              0-3         Barnstaple Town

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24 2022

WESTERN LEAGUE

PREMIER DIVISION

Street                                   1-0              Ashton & Backwell United

• Dave Deacon changed the title to FIXTURES & RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday August 23 & 24 2022

Had a look at the Helston v Falmouth game last night. First half on the poor side with both sides cancelling each other out, second a football match broke out.

Helston first off the blocks for the start of the second half, then bang! Falmouth dominated for the last 35+ minutes, but the Helston defence dealt with the pressure really well. 

Helstons clinical attacks all coming through the left winger (excellent) and the impressive blonde number 9 (very good)

Falmouth's final ball nowhere good enough to bother the Helston centre half (excellent) with the rest of the defence spoiling Falmouth's attacks.

Expected to see a bigger crowd than that, Ftroop thinning out a bit?

As for the continual banging on the advertising hoardings...boring and certainly disliked by many the racket it was making, come on boys a and girls...change the tune...sweet Caroline again, again, again, again...sorry - dozed off!

49 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Had a look at the Helston v Falmouth game last night. First half on the poor side with both sides cancelling each other out, second a football match broke out.

Helston first off the blocks for the start of the second half, then bang! Falmouth dominated for the last 35+ minutes, but the Helston defence dealt with the pressure really well. 

Helstons clinical attacks all coming through the left winger (excellent) and the impressive blonde number 9 (very good)

Falmouth's final ball nowhere good enough to bother the Helston centre half (excellent) with the rest of the defence spoiling Falmouth's attacks.

As for the continual banging on the advertising hoardings...boring and certainly disliked by many the racket it was making, come on boys a and girls...change the tune...sweet Caroline again, again, again, again...sorry - dozed off!

Agree with you on the game report, Helston did what they needed to.  What was sad to watch was the time wasting antics towards the end of the game and it was good to see the referee add on the extra minutes.  Some were so obvious it was almost funny. 

Midweek crowds are usually a bit lower, in this case 430 as opposed to 502 on Saturday.  I don't think the F-Troop will be thinning down anytime soon.  Both sets of fans cheered their teams and banged the hoardings.  As for 'Sweet Falmouth Town' and the other songs, that makes for a good atmosphere. 

Well that's it, the only game that matters now is the next one.

UTT 💛🖤

8 minutes ago, Town Fan said:

Agree with you on the game report, Helston did what they needed to.  What was sad to watch was the time wasting antics towards the end of the game and it was good to see the referee add on the extra minutes.  Some were so obvious it was almost funny. 

Midweek crowds are usually a bit lower, in this case 430 as opposed to 502 on Saturday.  I don't think the F-Troop will be thinning down anytime soon.  Both sets of fans cheered their teams and banged the hoardings.  As for 'Sweet Falmouth Town' and the other songs, that makes for a good atmosphere. 

Well that's it, the only game that matters now is the next one.

UTT 💛🖤

Town really missing JBE ,should we be looking for another striker in the meantime ? As for " sweet Caroline ",she loves it .😁

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A good review of the match there Dave.  Maybe forget your digs at the F-Troop though mate. Approx 1000 fans have watched the 2 games with Helston where at least 80% of which were Town fans. (There last home game prior to Saturday i think they had a crowd of around 90). Adding to that i believe we top the Western league average crowds already.

Just get yourself better mate and it was great that you came to watch us.

Oh and i think "Sweet Falmouth Town" only had 2 showings last night lol.

Go easy Dave and hopefully see you at Bickland Park soon.

First time I’ve visited Helston this season, and I must say the pitch was in excellent condition considering the dry weather we’ve had. Got caught out by the kick off time, thought it would 7.30pm being a local derby, will check next time. To be fair, nothing really happened in the first half, probably due to both teams playing each other on the Saturday. Falmouth probing, Helston sitting deep. Second half much the same, until the Helston scored resulting in Falmouth wobbling for the next 10 minutes. After that Falmouth settled down and added more urgency to their game and deservedly got their equaliser, but got caught cold immediately after the restart and Helston got their second. A very tight affair, but it seemed that Helston had more experience in managing tight games, being in this league last year. Solely based on this one game, Helston are a solid outfit and will prove difficult to beat, whereas Falmouth seem to be more adventurous and open to improvement. For me no individual players stood, but Helston’s back 3 look solid. All three goals were scrappy affairs. All three officials were excellent.

As for the crowd, I believe it was well over 400 and majority seem to be Falmouth fans and the atmosphere was pretty good as their seemed to be a tense atmosphere in the crowd as no one knew which way the result will go. Helston could be dark horses for promotion based on their defensive display, but might have too many draws. Whereas, Falmouth results are likely of be made up of wins and losses.

I know it will inevitably become about Falmouth and the F-Troop, but Helston now putting together a bit of a run after their opening day reverse. 

On the other hand, Torpoint still looking for their first win in the league. Will be interested to hear from anybody at The Mill last night after a 3-0 reverse against Barnstaple, a side that will probably be in the leading group at the end of the season.

32 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

I know it will inevitably become about Falmouth and the F-Troop

Torpoint still looking for their first win in the league. 

A few polite elephant-in-the-room observations shared by many, especially those who've recently had first hand experience:

1. Falmouth will struggle in this higher calibre of Football (its already happening).

2. The F-Troop gimmick passed the sell by date many moons ago, most people now consider it boring dare I mention embarrassing.

3. Torpoint are well overrated... their only hope is to get unsuspecting sides on their atrocious playing surface down at The Mill, anything could happen on a pitch like that.

No disrespect intended, just commenting on what some folk feel compromised to mention on the forum. All of which is often heard in conversation with people attending games.

16 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

A few polite elephant-in-the-room observations shared by many, especially those who've recently had first hand experience:

1. Falmouth will struggle in this higher calibre of Football (its already happening).

2. The F-Troop gimmick passed the sell by date many moons ago, most people now consider it boring dare I mention embarrassing.

3. Torpoint are well overrated... their only hope is to get unsuspecting sides on their atrocious playing surface down at The Mill, anything could happen on a pitch like that.

No disrespect intended, just commenting on what some folk feel compromised to mention on the forum. All of which is often heard in conversation with people attending games.

Krugg, you are total helmet and obsessed with us. A keyboard warrior who's opinions are driven by jealousy and envy. You mention the F-Troop on this forum more than the everyone else put together. Just a coward hiding behind a stupid username name.  

I think the F-Troop are great for Cornish football, clubs they visit get the Benefit of some much needed extra revenue and as an opponent it’s good fun to play in front of larger crowds.

you are always gonna get the odd incident here and there when large numbers are involved but that doesn’t mean the whole of the f-troop needs to be tarred with same brush. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

A good review of the match there Dave.  Maybe forget your digs at the F-Troop though mate. Approx 1000 fans have watched the 2 games with Helston where at least 80% of which were Town fans. (There last home game prior to Saturday i think they had a crowd of around 90). Adding to that i believe we top the Western league average crowds already.

Just get yourself better mate and it was great that you came to watch us.

Oh and i think "Sweet Falmouth Town" only had 2 showings last night lol.

Go easy Dave and hopefully see you at Bickland Park soon.

No getting better for me Jeff I'm afraid, just making the most of what's left!

Nothing wrong with Ftroop, bunch of noisy bleddy kids. Just change the record for gawd's sake...lol.

11 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No getting better for me Jeff I'm afraid, just making the most of what's left!

Nothing wrong with Ftroop, bunch of noisy bleddy kids. Just change the record for gawd's sake...lol.

I think the size and type of support we have brought over the last few years is rare in Cornish football Dave, the numbers, chants, songs, drums etc. I guess Cornish football is used to be played in a hush hush atmosphere whereas we have brought a football league type atmosphere that the odd one or 2 just simply don't like, ie Krugg, thats why he keeps mentioning us continually in a negative way. I ignore 90% of the comments made by the minority on here but now and again feel the need to respond.

More importantly stay safe mate and it would be really good to see you at Bickland, weve got Helston again in 2 weeks so maybe then ???

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

I know it will inevitably become about Falmouth and the F-Troop, but Helston now putting together a bit of a run after their opening day reverse. 

On the other hand, Torpoint still looking for their first win in the league. Will be interested to hear from anybody at The Mill last night after a 3-0 reverse against Barnstaple, a side that will probably be in the leading group at the end of the season.

Barnstaple a very strong outfit. Not much football played through midfield by either side to be fair. The Barnstaple keeper didn’t play short once but when he could punt it well into the opposition half in the direction of Bowker and Swann I can’t blame him/them. Their midfield of Andrew, Tucker and Colley very good technically so I’d be surprised if they weren’t frustrated playing that direct. The only Barum player under 6ft is Tucker so physically they’re a challenge. And Tucker was the best player of the pitch technically I’d say, with Swann also very impressive. A little fortunate for Tucker’s goals though. First a well taken spot kick but the 2nd a huge deflection from a crossed free kick. Their 3rd also a set piece. Torpoint without a win in the league but beating Millbrook and Mousehole in the cup is enough hope to know wins will come after a very tough opening to the WL fixtures. Officials on the night were good too imo. Strong enough with any card needed or minor altercations squashed. 

39 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

I think the size and type of support we have brought over the last few years is rare in Cornish football Dave, the numbers, chants, songs, drums etc. I guess Cornish football is used to be played in a hush hush atmosphere whereas we have brought a football league type atmosphere that the odd one or 2 just simply don't like, ie Krugg, thats why he keeps mentioning us continually in a negative way. I ignore 90% of the comments made by the minority on here but now and again feel the need to respond.

More importantly stay safe mate and it would be really good to see you at Bickland, weve got Helston again in 2 weeks so maybe then ???

I'll see if I'm still here Jeff...might see you then...not if Penryn are playing though!

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Think Richards struggling with injury so must have got Lorenz on. Saltash also getting Levi in.  Falmouth should be looking for help  give Dan Jennings a ring. 

Jordan Annear and Liam Prynn are the Falmouth "Guns For Hire." Both listed as Town players on FA Full Time.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Jordan Annear and Liam Prynn are the Falmouth "Guns For Hire." Both listed as Town players on FA Full Time.

I believe Jordan plays for Bishops Cleeve and Liam Prynn obviously still with Tavistock. Although dual signed still with Falmouth. 
I am no expert but when I follow some teams,  I personally like to see two strikers because I believe having a partner relieves the burden to carry the attack and then defenders have to spilt their attention between two forwards putting greater strain and confusion on defences and bringing more dimension. However when you play with two strikers I think more defensive stability can be lost because of one less player in midfield. 

2 hours ago, Mark Jones said:

I believe Jordan plays for Bishops Cleeve and Liam Prynn obviously still with Tavistock. Although dual signed still with Falmouth. 
I am no expert but when I follow some teams,  I personally like to see two strikers because I believe having a partner relieves the burden to carry the attack and then defenders have to spilt their attention between two forwards putting greater strain and confusion on defences and bringing more dimension. However when you play with two strikers I think more defensive stability can be lost because of one less player in midfield. 

One for more tactically minded folk than me but, just as with most players, strikers can be better suited to one particular system. For instance, Glyn Hobbs was virtually unplayable as a lone forward for Tavi in 2016/17 and then Parkway in 2017/18, while Jordan Annear looked a bit out of place not playing as part of a two for Parkway in 2018/19. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Absolutely agree. F-troop make games at Bickland feel like "proper" matches.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday August 23 & 24 2022
1 hour ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Attention of Dave Deacon

Simple enquiry Dave, does this Forum condone and allow blatant abuse, derogatory slander and downright bullying?

A few casual observations made by myself regarding the generic profile of the Western League, without any reference to individuals whatsoever, resulted in this embarrassing personal attack.

It's meant to be a Forum for a polite communication of various views about Cornwall Football. 

No wonder supporters choose to keep quite about whats happening in our local game when bully boys immediately jump on them. Time this stopped.

Your response to this attack shall be welcomed and appreciated. I'm hoping some form of sensible remedial action can restore confidence in free speech (even at our non league level).

Thank you 

I can’t believe I’m reading this…,BULL

Totally deserved in my opinion ! It’s been brewing for years with you buddy

Personal and totally aggravating and exaggerated comments and Lies finally catching up with you.

You can’ give it loads but can’t take a comment that was a bit rude (which it was)

Stop slagging people off (Managers and clubs mainly)

Its not worth it surely

”oh Dave, come and save me “

Dear oh dear

2 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Your response to this attack shall be welcomed and appreciated. I'm hoping some form of sensible remedial action can restore confidence in free speech (even at our non league level).

Do you actually know what would be the best remedial action in my opinion (and this is my opinion, I’m not speaking on behalf of the other ‘staff’ when I write this. By the way ‘staff’ isn’t the right word, but it’s the word the forum designers describe us as, but we do it in our spare time and are not expected to be at various members beck and call when things start getting tough).

Anyway, back to suggesting the ‘best remedial action’ - its quite simple really! A lot of users on this forum need to grow up and if they give it, expect to take it! A lot of people posting on here need to have respect for others. Not dish it out and then run to mummy when things get tough!

Surely we can disagree without throwing our toys out of our prams? Before you press that button to post, just read again what you’ve written and think - would YOU like it if it was a post about yourself?

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Do you actually know what would be the best remedial action in my opinion (and this is my opinion, I’m not speaking on behalf of the other ‘staff’ when I write this. By the way ‘staff’ isn’t the right word, but it’s the word the forum designers describe us as, but we do it in our spare time and are not expected to be at various members beck and call when things start getting tough).

Anyway, back to suggesting the ‘best remedial action’ - its quite simple really! A lot of users on this forum need to grow up and if they give it, expect to take it! A lot of people posting on here need to have respect for others. Not dish it out and then run to mummy when things get tough!

Surely we can disagree without throwing our toys out of our prams? Before you press that button to post, just read again what you’ve written and think - would YOU like it if it was a post about yourself?

100%

(plus I think requiring real names rather than allowing people to hide behind pseudonyms would help too) 

19 minutes ago, Lee Mitchell said:

Shepton Mallet will win the League, 

Shepton Mallet 3 Buckland Athletic 0 was the most notable result for me. That's four out of four for Shepton plus two cup wins.

Too early for maps and spreadsheets but raises the question of where "the split" will fall if no Cornwall or Devon team is promoted.

Obviuosly depends if any of Bideford, Exmouth, Tavistock or Willand is relegated.

If none of those come down, it looks like the split will be Taunton. Nine current Cornwall and Devon Western League clubs + eight Peninsula promotions + Wellington.

All things being equal of course. Early days at step 5 and the level above.   

9 hours ago, Easterfield said:

Shepton Mallet 3 Buckland Athletic 0 was the most notable result for me. That's four out of four for Shepton plus two cup wins.

Too early for maps and spreadsheets but raises the question of where "the split" will fall if no Cornwall or Devon team is promoted.

Obviuosly depends if any of Bideford, Exmouth, Tavistock or Willand is relegated.

If none of those come down, it looks like the split will be Taunton. Nine current Cornwall and Devon Western League clubs + eight Peninsula promotions + Wellington.

All things being equal of course. Early days at step 5 and the level above.   

I wouldn’t disagree with you but Buckland had 5 key players missing so it’s difficult to judge on that performance to be fair.

certainly they looked  very organised and comfortable in possession throughout.

The pitch Definately goes in their favour with that slope !! 

played it very well

2 hours ago, Devils@Dusk said:

In my experience forum staff are known as "Admins and Moderators".

There's also a great thing on forums called an "Ignore" function. Some people might want to give it a try. 

Why? If you're comfortable and confident to use your own name, that's great. Some of us aren't. Plus, I don't give away personal details to people who I don't know.

If you’re not willing to be held to account for the things you say in public, you shouldn’t say them in public. 

11 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

If you’re not willing to be held to account for the things you say in public, you shouldn’t say them in public. 

Did social media training several years ago at work. The golden rule was that if you wouldn't be willing to see your comments on an advertising billboard on a busy street, then don't put it on the internet.

4 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Did social media training several years ago at work. The golden rule was that if you wouldn't be willing to see your comments on an advertising billboard on a busy street, then don't put it on the internet.

Don't agree...... If I want to give the opinion, say for example that I don't rate Liam Eddy as a player (I do actually.. He's class).... Then I don't need to be held accountable for that or maybe even bump into him or be abused by someone for that opinion. 

BUT I also think I have the ability to know the difference between posting an opinion and abusing someone. 

If people used there real names on here you would very quickly see the forum Dissappear 

Think it’s easy for Mr Deacon to say grow a pair blah blah blah but the amount of posts on here slagging off a certain director of football and to a slightly lesser extent the club he’s at is no more than bullying and I’m sure if anyone else was subjected to it they would be fuming. He’s probably not on this forum but it is completely over the top, let alone boring. 

35 minutes ago, le boss said:

Think it’s easy for Mr Deacon to say grow a pair blah blah blah but the amount of posts on here slagging off a certain director of football and to a slightly lesser extent the club he’s at is no more than bullying and I’m sure if anyone else was subjected to it they would be fuming. He’s probably not on this forum but it is completely over the top, let alone boring. 

Those at the top will always be shot at, a back handed compliment in many ways.

Everyone has a pop at some stage, just let it go over your head if possible.

Wait until you start losing...lol.

9 hours ago, le boss said:

I wouldn't worry le boss, I'm sure Steve would have contacted me direct if he had a problem. 👍