Cornwall Football Forum

FA Cup Prelim Round - Torpoint 3 Mousehole 2

A truly epic cup tie! A fascinating contrast of styles. Both sides played well and the commitment from both sides was immense. £6.00 admission including the best match programme in Cornwall. Great value for money too. All this on a more than difficult bumpy surface. praise could not be higher for both clubs! The best game I've seen this season, easily!

First half belonged to Mousehole. Nice slick passing with an air of arrogance about it. First goal came via an astounding diagonal ball splitting the defence and the Seagulls forward beat the home keeper to the ball and glanced the ball into an empty net. Super goal! 

A Darren Hicks header got the 'Point level in a well worked move. The goal of the season, let alone the goal of the game, had Mousehole deservedly back in front before half time. It was not far from the touchline and was arrowed  into the top corner - about 30 yards of bullet precision accuracy! Mousehole clearly the better side in the first half. Only 2-1 in front though.

The second 45 saw more intensity from the Point. Several close things before they pulled level. There were strong claims for a penalty, but the Ref pointed to just outside the box. It looked too close to the goal to be a real threat. Wrong! A crashing shot from the free kick put the Amber ones level. Honestly, if there had been no netting I think the ball may have landed in Plymouth! What a set piece! Torpoint were well on top now and for the first time in the afternoon, with about 15-20 minutes left, a classic strikers' finish with a glancing header from Curtis Damerell made it 3-2! It was too and fro from then on. You still couldn't call it either way! About 5 minutes from the end Mousehole had a gilt edged chance. A header begging to be put away, wasn't! A frantic and and times niggly game ended in a memorable home triumph. Mousehole will wonder how they were outmanoeuvred tactically and got knocked out of the cup. The 'Point pressed, harried, took the initiative. They were brave! 

Maybe if you press, close down Mousehole, they might struggle to get into their normal fluent vein. Certainly this game, following the Millbrook league loss, will give Jake Ash plenty to ponder over!

Great match report 👍

The “Seagulls forward” who scored the first goal was Hayden Turner, and the man who can claim that goal of the game / season was Callam McConie. The non-awarded Torpoint penalty was a good couple of metres inside the box so how it wasn’t given I have no idea but, as you report, Torpoint scored anyway so justice was served. I was particularly impressed by Curtis Damerell - tormented our defence for 90 minutes, and his headed goal was one Andy Carroll would have been proud of. 

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

A truly epic cup tie! A fascinating contrast of styles. Both sides played well and the commitment from both sides was immense. £6.00 admission including the best match programme in Cornwall. Great value for money too. All this on a more than difficult bumpy surface. praise could not be higher for both clubs! The best game I've seen this season, easily!

First half belonged to Mousehole. Nice slick passing with an air of arrogance about it. First goal came via an astounding diagonal ball splitting the defence and the Seagulls forward beat the home keeper to the ball and glanced the ball into an empty net. Super goal! 

A Darren Hicks header got the 'Point level in a well worked move. The goal of the season, let alone the goal of the game, had Mousehole deservedly back in front before half time. It was not far from the touchline and was arrowed  into the top corner - about 30 yards of bullet precision accuracy! Mousehole clearly the better side in the first half. Only 2-1 in front though.

The second 45 saw more intensity from the Point. Several close things before they pulled level. There were strong claims for a penalty, but the Ref pointed to just outside the box. It looked too close to the goal to be a real threat. Wrong! A crashing shot from the free kick put the Amber ones level. Honestly, if there had been no netting I think the ball may have landed in Plymouth! What a set piece! Torpoint were well on top now and for the first time in the afternoon, with about 15-20 minutes left, a classic strikers' finish with a glancing header from Curtis Damerell made it 3-2! It was too and fro from then on. You still couldn't call it either way! About 5 minutes from the end Mousehole had a gilt edged chance. A header begging to be put away, wasn't! A frantic and and times niggly game ended in a memorable home triumph. Mousehole will wonder how they were outmanoeuvred tactically and got knocked out of the cup. The 'Point pressed, harried, took the initiative. They were brave! 

Maybe if you press, close down Mousehole, they might struggle to get into their normal fluent vein. Certainly this game, following the Millbrook league loss, will give Jake Ash plenty to ponder over!

Thank you for your kind compliments about the programme, it means a lot!

11 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

Great match report 👍

The “Seagulls forward” who scored the first goal was Hayden Turner, and the man who can claim that goal of the game / season was Callam McConie. The non-awarded Torpoint penalty was a good couple of metres inside the box so how it wasn’t given I have no idea but, as you report, Torpoint scored anyway so justice was served. I was particularly impressed by Curtis Damerell - tormented our defence for 90 minutes, and his headed goal was one Andy Carroll would have been proud of. 

Thanks Garry! Living close to the Tamar I don't see Mousehole play too often so wasn't sure who the Seagulls scorers were. 

Good point about Damerell - spot on about how he kept defenders busy!

I could see why Mousehole are so highly rated. At times  the quality of football is a thing of beauty by WL standards, but wonder if teams get at you, press well, can this stop your 'beautiful game'? 

The sub who petulantly blasted the ball into the stand could have hurt someone. He needs speaking to! 

Really wish Mousehole well. The type of football you seek to play is what I love to see. I grew up on Brian Clough and pass and move football, so this is where my love of stylish football ️ comes from!

20 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Thanks Garry! Living close to the Tamar I don't see Mousehole play too often so wasn't sure who the Seagulls scorers were. 

I could see why Mousehole are so highly rated. At times  the quality of football is a thing of beauty by WL standards, but wonder if teams get at you, press well, can this stop your 'beautiful game'? 

The sub who petulantly blasted the ball into the stand could have hurt someone. He needs speaking to! 

Really wish Mousehole well. The type of football you seek to play is what I love to see. I grew up on Brian Clough and pass and move football, so this is where my love of stylish football ️ comes from!

The point about pressing is a fair one but I suspect if we start converting more of the chances we create then that will seem less of a problem. The sub was Moussa (making his debut and had only been on the  pitch a couple of minutes) - I’m not defending what he did because I agree it was genuinely dangerous but I honestly think he was intending the ball to go out of the ground, not into the stand. I’m not party to what conversations might have gone on in the dressing room afterwards but I think anyone who knows anything about Jake Ash would know that he’s exactly the type of manager who would definitely  have a quiet word with a player after an incident like that - I wouldn’t expect to see anything like it to be repeated. 

1 hour ago, GaryHocking said:

The point about pressing is a fair one but I suspect if we start converting more of the chances we create then that will seem less of a problem. The sub was Moussa (making his debut and had only been on the  pitch a couple of minutes) - I’m not defending what he did because I agree it was genuinely dangerous but I honestly think he was intending the ball to go out of the ground, not into the stand. I’m not party to what conversations might have gone on in the dressing room afterwards but I think anyone who knows anything about Jake Ash would know that he’s exactly the type of manager who would definitely  have a quiet word with a player after an incident like that - I wouldn’t expect to see anything like it to be repeated. 

A very fair response Gary.  A quiet word is all that is needed with Moussa. Wish the young lad well  I really must get down to Trungle Parc this season for a first visit.

3 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Curtis Damerell has become a really potent player in the Torpoint attack, and has come back well after a disappointing spell at Parkway. Wonder if clubs from higher levels have made a note of his goal scoring record and had a look. Know that Bideford and Tiverton both keep an eye on players in Cornwall, and have given them a chance in the past.

Seems some punters got to witness an enjoyable afternoons football, which is in stark contrast to the incredibly poor opening League game I witnessed between these two sides on the first Saturday of the season.

Think I mentioned it was a very poor advert for Western League standards.

Worst of the dozen games I've seen across the WL and SWPL so far... and believe me there's been some howlers in that lot. I remember it was an awfully scrappy match on a terrible pitch. 

Appears both sides have now improved by leaps and bounds. Pleased things have turned around, especially for the Supporters, there were quite a few glum faces at the final whistle last time around.

It's a funny old game 🙂