Cornwall Football Forum

FA CUP draw

Dave Deacon

On 22/08/2022 at 14:36, Uwdi Krugg said:

Not great

Bit of a trek for the travelling Truro Impi (sorry, mini bus) 🥴

Much prefer Helston & Torpoint to have separate ties, bit of variety etc.

The FA Cup is good for earning a few quid (agree that it's frustrating that the Cornish sides seem to attract like magnets in these rounds), but it's the Vase that's special.

In my humble opinion, the best of all the national knockout competitions. Still got a real magic to it, the one that everybody takes seriously.

17 minutes ago, Pinky said:

Helston v Torpoint will be a cracker, a battle of the big money strikers! Will the man Dammeral who Helston spent the summer trying to sign be the player to knock them out the cup?

Will Rikki Shepherd be suspended for this?

5 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The FA Cup is good for earning a few quid (agree that it's frustrating that the Cornish sides seem to attract like magnets in these rounds), but it's the Vase that's special.

In my humble opinion, the best of all the national knockout competitions. Still got a real magic to it, the one that everybody takes seriously.

Will Rikki Shepherd be suspended for this?

No with 3 games this week (Tues, Sat, Mon) his ban will be done.

Also I think league suspensions don’t count and the same the other way round in FA Cup.

1 minute ago, Footy Detective said:

I have to agree with WOTP, the FA Cup is a nice little earner with no real chance of progressing that far, however the FA Vase is the real deal for our clubs.

The Vase is the only one that everybody takes seriously. The FA Cup and League Cups are a distraction for clubs that are looking to win the league, get promoted or stay up, and likewise, the FA Trophy is a nuisance for the bigger non league clubs that have other priorities. No, the Vase is something that everybody has a real go at. There's the attraction of getting a run in it to visit clubs in far flung parts of the country, or bringing unsuspecting teams from more "fashionable" football areas down for a difficult day in a "sleepy Cornish backwater." And, as St Austell showed in 2014/15, get beyond Christmas and you can start to dream about Wembley.