Ivybridge Town               7-2        Torrington

Okehampton Argyle       0-0        Plymouth Marjon

WEST    

Bude Town                    6-1        St Dennis

Penzance                       2-2       Sticker

Wendron United             3-0          Launceston

FA VASE

First Qualifying Round

Bodmin Town              0-1           Odd Down (BATH)

Bovey Tracey               5-0           Newquay

Camelford                     3-2       Ilfracombe Town

Cheddar                        2-4         Crediton United

Dobwalls                       1-5        Elburton Villa

Elmore                           2-4        St Blazey

Falmouth Town               3-1         St Austell

Godolphin Atlantic        0-10          Barnstaple Town

Radstock Town             2-4      Newton Abbot Spurs

Wadebridge Town          0-1      Cullompton Rangers

If attending the Wendron v Launceston fixture today, please note that parking will be in the field opposite due to several events taking place at the club today. If this is an issue, please get in touch with the club directly or notify the Marshalls on duty  and I’m sure that they will be of assistance. 

Our digital programme is available to view here:

https://t.co/qR0r3TUmJl

3F8C53EC-63C1-4C27-BE25-8DA839B2BC80.jpeg

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 27 August 2022

WADEBRIDGE  (0)  0

CULLOMPTON  (0)  1        Wilkinson 66’

ATT    92

What a difference a week makes in football! I watched the Bridgers win 7-0 at a decent St.Austell team the same time last Saturday, looking like they would score with every attack ,this week you wondered where a goal would come from for most of the match. To be fair the visitors went into the game on a great run of form as well with 3 straight victories including a 4-1 midweek success at Holsworthy. With the Bridgers 6th in the West Division and Cullompton 8th in the East, it looked like a tight contest on paper and that’s exactly what it proved to be. 

BBC Radio Cornwall must have thought the same as reporter Matt Allen was there to cover the cup tie but by half time he must have wished he went to another game! It proved to be a pretty miserable day for the West Division teams altogether and this game was to end no different. (Well done to Camelford by the way! Some success for the West).  The hosts started well enough with 4 corners in the first 6 minutes but their first half chance came when Jack Rapsey lobbed well over the bar after 15 minutes from the edge of the area, Cully replied with a far post cross headed well wide on 23’ before a long ball over the top found Matt Lloyd on the right side of the area but his lob also sailed wide of the target on 32’. Cully headed just over from a corner before the Bridgers best moment of a dour half saw good work down the left from Lloyd cut the ball back for Rapsey to set it into Morgan Vallejos path but his strike from 10 yards was bravely blocked  on the line with the defender needing a bit of treatment after it. In added on time Vallejos block fell to Lloyd 15 yards out but his low shot lacked the power to trouble Will Davis in the visitors goal.

Cullompton started the 2nd half better and had a couple of shots from distance that was never going to beat the Bridgers superb keeper Rob Rosevear. Experienced defender Steve Simmonds was adjudged to have fouled the visitors lone striker Joe Wilkinson 30 yards from goal but I agreed with the ref who produced a yellow card with the visitors screaming for a red saying it was a last man challenge. The only goal came in the 66th minute when from Wadebridges free kick at the other end, Davis gathered and punted the ball 70 yards down the pitch to Wilkinson who looked to be miles offside but with everybody stopped Wilkinson didn’t and lobbed Rosevear from 25 yards. Good finish to be fair but it was clearly offside. One of those where you’re looking at the Lino then the ref but nothing happened!! I wasn’t actually going to mention this for fear of sour grapes or bias that a few of the trolls on the forum these days jump on, but listening to Radio Cornwalls Matt Allen on the way home who was in a great position in the stand said it was literally 10 yards offside in his match report and that’s actually what I thought at the time. Anyway goal given which did force a bit of a response from the Bridgers with a Chris Reski cross being headed over at the far post by a full stretch Lloyd on 69’.

Rower did his best to respond with the 3 allowed substitutions in the Vase with Tom McLachlan, Will Tucker, and Cory Sargent replacing Sam Mellor, Reski and Vallejo late on and the Bridgers came agonisingly close in the 88th minute when Sam Gerkens dangerous cross saw the backpedaling Davis tip the ball inches past the far post and a few minutes later the ref ended the hosts Vase hopes of a run for another year with Cullompton going on to face Callington away on the 24th September in the next round. Far play to Wadebridge for sticking to their football until the end, trying to pass it around on a difficult pitch as most are at the moment. As for Cullompton their more direct style of play paid dividends in the end albeit controversially and they live to fight another day. The good news for the Bridgers is they won’t have to dwell on this performance for too long as they host Callington in the league on Wednesday night.

Dobwalls on the end of a hammering at home from an elburton villa team that are pretty poor and sit near bottom of the east league.  
Is the east league a far more stronger league? I’d say yes. 
we have discussed on here before the decline in quality players at the Cornish teams. Starting show more and more. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Might have to build into the equation that now 6 Western League sides in Cornwall compared to only 3 from Devon!

Maybe that’s the issue. The Cornish western league teams have picked up all the better players leaving a lot of teams in Cornwall with very poor squads. ( Newquay , godolphin  , callington , Bodmin  dobwalls etc ) 

Went to see Godolphin v Barnstaple today and what a pleasure it was to see a side committed to playing the 

ball forward at every opportunity, Barnstaple were a very competent young side, I only wish Newquay management

could have been there to see the game and to get Newquay playing a more direct game and not spend time playing the 

ball across the back four every time.

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Dobwalls on the end of a hammering at home from an elburton villa team that are pretty poor and sit near bottom of the east league.  
we have discussed on here before the decline in quality players at the Cornish teams. Starting show more and more. 

Were you there ???

you seem to know all about it ??

Elmore 2 - 4 St Blazay.

The scoreline doesn't really tell the full story of the game. Elmore took the lead twice, the first from a big deflection, but got forward rarely and never looked in control. St Blazey had the lion's share of possession and looked the better side throughout, but toiled in front of goal for large portions of the game to no avail, particularly in the first half. The Elmore goalkeeper was much the busier and dropped a couple of catches early on that St Blazey couldn't take advantage of.

Luke Cloke will be wondering how he didn't get a clear penalty when the score was 0-0. Paul got the moment on video, so I look forward to seeing it again, but from where I was stood it was fairly obviously a penalty.

Kyle Marks got his first start of the season following his recovery from injury and created the first goal with a tremendous first touch (Bergkamp-eske!) to bring a long ball under control and send him in on goal. He rifled his shot against the post, which rebounded to Cloke for the first equaliser.

Cloke equalised again with a well taken finish in the second half and seemed to enjoy his celebrations with the fans.

With Blazey looking to secure the win, substitute Gino Garside was brought on and made an immediate impact with the goals to seal the victory.

On to the next round against Camelford.

26 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

No I was at a different game . 
they lost 5-1 at home to elburton what is it I need to know ?  Ref fault ? Lucky 5 goals ?? 

First Goal in the first minute caught the defence napping. 2nd goal was an own goal where the right back lofted a pass back to the keeper and in trying to head it clear put it in his own net. 3rd was a defensive error - ball passed square from the centre back straight to an elburton player. 4th and 5th were both pens, 1st resulting in the keeper being sent off for flicking his foot at the attacker that had just followed through on him, both harsh penalties that even the Elburton coaches didn't think were the correct decision. Ref had a shocker, looked completely out of his depth. Bad day at the office for Dobwalls, the game was fairly even, Dobwalls just didn't take their chances and made some mistakes defensively. 

4 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Went to see Godolphin v Barnstaple today and what a pleasure it was to see a side committed to playing the 

ball forward at every opportunity, Barnstaple were a very competent young side, I only wish Newquay management

could have been there to see the game and to get Newquay playing a more direct game and not spend time playing the 

ball across the back four every time.

I watched Newquay play Penzance on Wednesday evening Barry, I think Newquay are in for a very long season ahead. Infact I overheard a guy at the teahut suggesting he can't remember such a poor Newquay side ( bit harsh as he was about 75! ) 

If Launceston improve it could be to close for comfort for the Peppermints at the bottom. 

Congratulations to the Cornish sides that progressed through in the Vase yesterday. 

5 hours ago, DU82 said:

First Goal in the first minute caught the defence napping. 2nd goal was an own goal where the right back lofted a pass back to the keeper and in trying to head it clear put it in his own net. 3rd was a defensive error - ball passed square from the centre back straight to an elburton player. 4th and 5th were both pens, 1st resulting in the keeper being sent off for flicking his foot at the attacker that had just followed through on him, both harsh penalties that even the Elburton coaches didn't think were the correct decision. Ref had a shocker, looked completely out of his depth. Bad day at the office for Dobwalls, the game was fairly even, Dobwalls just didn't take their chances and made some mistakes defensively. 

Classic, ref has a shocker and team just a bad day at the office. 

Dobwalls pitch/ground in superb condition which is a credit to their hard working volunteers.

No issues on the day with both sets of players, managers, supporters and great hospitality afterwards... exactly what it should be like on game day!

Fair comments around the game, goals, chances etc... aim was to let the officials do their job and concentrate on ourselves, which we did!

Wishing Ben, Mike, Brad and their lads all the best for the rest of the season... no doubts Dobwalls will give any team a good go on the day!

Thanks Nick. I don't get to many games these days but found the atmosphere around the ground yesterday really good. That's down to all that travelled with Elburton too, in whatever capacity. Its been a hard summer for those that look after pitches everywhere, and I know those at Dobwalls will be pleased you gave them a mention. 

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sorry bighairydave, but can you describe what we're actually supposed to be seeing from that fuzzy still photo?

The first photo here shows that the goalkeeper has clearly kicked the ball.

F38A9D0F-0B68-4E68-9AD9-15F9EE6B90B0.png

2 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sorry bighairydave, but can you describe what we're actually supposed to be seeing from that fuzzy still photo?

The second showing the Cullumpton scorer standing onside still.

95BB04C1-335A-40EE-9EBE-C5906069A892.png

14 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Can I ask if anyone from the club or even from BBC Radio Cornwall will be apologising for calling the assistant so wrong?

To be honest, I’ve looked at the Veo clip, and I’m not sure what I’m looking for to make a judgement. However, unless you’re exactly in line with the assistant/lines person, you can’t really give a valid opinion. Very difficult for assistants/line persons these days with VAR being the football news every week. 

Just now, Yourhavingalaugh said:

To be honest, I’ve looked at the Veo clip, and I’m not sure what I’m looking for to make a judgement. However, unless you’re exactly in line with the assistant/lines person, you can’t really give a valid opinion. Very difficult for assistants/line persons these days with VAR being the football news every week. 

I was listening to Radio Cornwall and the assistant was lambasted time and time again by Matt Allen. I wonder if a better quality picture will have him truly eating humble pie.

Ah right, I thought you were circling the ref for some unknown reason!

I have to say I've watched it back at normal speed numerous times and because the goalkeeper's kick goes so high, I think its inconclusive as to where the Cullompton forwards were in relation to the defenders when he actually kicked it. It may well be that the forward who didn't score was offside, but obviously it was the other one who ran to and scored. I don't know that from the veo footage I've seen that I would be confident to say there was or wasn't an offside!

7 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Ah right, I thought you were circling the ref for some unknown reason!

I have to say I've watched it back at normal speed numerous times and because the goalkeeper's kick goes so high, I think its inconclusive as to where the Cullompton forwards were in relation to the defenders when he actually kicked it. It may well be that the forward who didn't score was offside, but obviously it was the other one who ran to and scored. I don't know that from the veo footage I've seen that I would be confident to say there was or wasn't an offside!

On Veo I believe you can pause it at the moment the ball is kicked and swing the camera around to show the defenders instead which is very similar to the still I believe was shared earlier but now I cannot find (maybe it was deleted).

The footage 100% shows he wasn’t “miles offside”, “10 yards offside” or “clearly offside” as has been quoted here and from a reporter at the game.

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Offside for me, even from the fuzz.

The lino has to do it in real time...offside. 

The player furthest away Is offside but the player that scored us nearest us and is clearly onside and yes it has to be done in real time but that doesn’t change the decision being correct in law and onside. The video does show the player is onside that scores also. 

On 28/08/2022 at 09:17, sportsman10 said:

You are correct sportsman10 that Elburton Villa are not the best of teams, but on the day Dobwalls pretty much gifted them all 5 goals.

In the first minute a defender lost possession in his own penalty area to give the visitors the best of starts.

The score remained the same until 5 minutes into the second half when a crazy head high back pass saw the keeper head the ball into his own net.

Shortly after the ball was given away in midfield and a first time pass found the striker for an easy tap in.

Things then went from bad to worse when the keeper came rushing out for a through ball where him and the striker reached the ball at about the same time, the keeper took the ball and I can only assume that he caught the striker with his follow through? The referee showed him a red card and a penalty from which they scored number 4.

Not long after they were awarded penalty number 2 and made it 5.

Dobwalls did pull one back late on.

As to whether the east is stronger than the west it is hard to say.

The photos @ wadebridge show us nothing that can help us determine an offside offence or not. 

law 11 Offside.

It is not an offence to be in an offside position. 

A player commits an offside offence if he is closer to the goal line than his second last opponent at the moment his team mate plays or last touches the ball and then:

plays the  ball, or attempts to play a ball that is close and this impacts an opponent.

Interferes with his opponent by either challenging/immediately challenging him for the ball, impacting visions or line of sight or making an obvious action that impacts his opponents ability to play the ball, or,

gains an advantage (i.e. from a deliberate save or rebound). 

If two players are moving towards the ball one of which from offside and one from onside then the assistant must wait to see which player plays the ball to determine if an offside offence is committed. 

As the ball has already been played by the keeper in the photo provided it does not give any indication on the players positions at the point the ball was played, which is the point it is first touched. 

Based on the still of the two players , if that were the moment the ball was played then the Collumpton player closest in the frame is clearly onside. The position of his team mate is irrelevant as he is not committing an offside offence unless he did one of the 3 above actions which would so determine an offence 

Cheers Keith, do miss the old Sunday Independent from 5/10 years ago mate! Great couple of hours read on a Sunday morning that was before it went to the dogs. Nice to see a few reports on here on a Saturday night to try and keep in touch with things. Wish more would do it but you can’t blame them for not wanting to, always a few trolls ready to jump on anything you say they don’t like!? Always try to be as honest and non biased as I can and see a game from both sides but bound to get a few things wrong along the way I guess? The eyesight ain’t what it was Keith, along with the Knees!! All the best and thanks for reading it to be honest mate! 🤓😀👍