Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook v Bodmin

7-0 it was and Gouldie's got backache!

It was always going to be a tough game for Millbrook and made tougher still with injuries, illness and suspensions depleting Mark Jones' squad to just 11 regular players.

Keano will probably disagree but I think that the Millbrook lads gave a reasonable account of themselves. They were 3-0 down at half time but played well for periods in the first half and the first 15 minutes or so after halftime. In the end fitness told though and three of the Bodmin goals were scored close to the end of play.

Bodmin always looked comfortable, especially the defence who work well together. I was susprised how often they go route one but if you have keeper Miller's long boot and Danny O'Hagan up front I suppose you would!

Although I moaned about a few decisons, on reflection, ref Mark Oldacre had a pretty good game. Don't think he used his cards all night and allowed the game to keep going - Millbrook might have wished for more whistle and time for a breather :D

Bodmin now meet Saltash United in the Semi Final of the Charity Cup

Bodmin to play Saltash in the Semi Final of the Throgmorton SWPL Cup

Bodmin lost 2-5 to Saltash in the Semi Final of the Senior Cup

Bodmin also have to entertain Saltash in the SWPL(P)-the earlier meeting at Kimberley ended in a 5-3 win for the 'Ashes'.

Correction 5-3 to Bodmin - Thanks Ian.

Did I hear Porthleven got through at Liskeard to face Launceston in the other Charity Cup Semi Final?

Do you consider the Charity Cup as a hinderence to fixtures backlog and also going over the same ground as the Senior Cup ie same teams creating more familiarityand indiscipline?

Guest keano

Keano will probably disagree but I think that the Millbrook lads gave a reasonable account of themselves

not at all i agree , it was allways going to be hard against bodmin and i think millbrook had good spells during what was a very tough game

Guest Gouldie

This was always going to be a near impossible task with the standard of Bodmin and us on a bit of a dip in form and not scoring easily in games. We started quite slowly and thought that it took us going down 1-0 to a quick free kick to wake up. I hate that rule! We then started trying to hassle the midfield a lot more. We probably played too high a line and with the Bodmin experience they breached the offside trap for the 2nd. The 3rd was not a great goal. 2 of our players slipped when clearing and we couldn't get out of our half and they scored again.

In the 2nd half I thought that we battled very well and without creating many clear cut chances still looked OK on the counter attack. The fact that we fell apart with 15 minutes to go with Bodmin scoring 4 was really gutting and made it look a lot worse. We continued to push our line quite high which was a bit of a mistake as we didn't win much in the air. Flicks started putting people through. Made a couple of good saves but generally disappointed with my own performance but hey Friday's another day.

My back does hurt!!!!

Bodmin now meet Saltash United in the Semi Final of the Charity Cup

Bodmin to play Saltash in the Semi Final of the Throgmorton SWPL Cup

Bodmin lost 2-5 to Saltash in the Semi Final of the Senior Cup

Bodmin also have to entertain Saltash in the SWPL(P)-the earlier meeting at Kimberley ended in a 5-3 win for the 'Ashes'.

Correction 5-3 to Bodmin - Thanks Ian.

Did I hear Porthleven got through at Liskeard to face Launceston in the other Charity Cup Semi Final?

Do you consider the Charity Cup as a hinderence to fixtures backlog and also going over the same ground as the Senior Cup ie same teams creating more familiarityand indiscipline?

The Charity Cup is going over the same ground as the Senior Cup for the top SWP clubs. There is a real need for a cup to cater for the clubs in SWP Div 1 West. It would give something to play for clubs like Newquay, Penzance who are out of the title race / relegation zone by Christmas. Devon FA have the Premier Cup which does exactly that.

Why not change the Charity Cup is to be the top 16 clubs below step 6. i.e. the 15 Cornwall clubs in Div 1 West + one from either Combo or ECPL. Alternatively could be the top 16 clubs not entering the FA Cup.

Could play the first round on the day the SWP Premier clubs are playing the FA Cup qualifying round.

Theres a couple good suggestions 'Skippy', there must be more.

Falmouth declined the CCFA invitation to enter the Charity Cup for many seasons but I guess it was more diplomatic to participate now and keep onside with the governing body.

Although Truro declined this season probably with the CCFA 's blessing.

Perhaps 'Pidge' could quote the seasons when Falmouth did not enter .