Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook management

panda

1 hour ago, panda said:

Millbrook have announced that the current managers of the St Pirans team have taken over the reins of the western league side

Tough job them, any word on Gary Jeffrey carrying on as coach? Believe it was his links to the youth set up at Argyle that brought a lot of talented, Plymouth based, youngsters to the club last season.

Considering how he guided a Millbrook side that lost their two long time key players (Tom Payne and Rikki Shepherd) last summer, that weren't paying players and had crowds below 3 figures, to a mid table step 5 level finish and the Cornwall Senior Cup final, Macca Brown should be in the manager of the year running.

How much sponsorship or money put in  and influence on players did the previous managers have on the squad ? Can you really see any of them doing another season for no money travelling all over the place in front of crowds of about 15 .  I be surprised if that squad hangs around there 

• 1 month later...
On 11/05/2023 at 11:16, Foul Throw 3 said:

If Gary and Lee find another club and the players they brought in follow, Millbrook are in barney rubble. Even more so if Macca finds a new club! 

Early days but 2 months on unfortunately this seems to be coming to fruition... pre season not about results but opening friendlies aren't showing much in terms of promise with losses against 2 sub par SWL sides in Sticker and Elburton and not enough players to field 2 XIs for an inhouse friendly between their 2 teams at the minute. Ominous...

5 hours ago, Wetsuit said:

Didn’t they also lose to dobwalls at the weekend.      How are they going to compete in W L

Hopefully they will. Else you do worry  a few heavy defeats and players not committed to travelling the club could be in trouble.  Doesn’t take much these days unfortunately 

20 hours ago, Wetsuit said:

Didn’t they also lose to dobwalls at the weekend.      How are they going to compete in W L

Dobwalls was their 2nd team's friendly losing 2-0. However the worry is, it was largely the same players who had played the night before vs Sticker for their 1st team. There's been a huge exodus and it's looking bleak. I worry for their existence.

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Will Millbrook make it through to the seasons end? Whilst PSFs mean little, the results must still be dispiriting. Many expected the Brook to take voluntary relegation. Maybe this might have been in their best long term interests?

I hope they can confound my expectations and stabilise in the WL.

Millbrook look like big losers from the collapse of the SWPL/WL merger.

The current state of the club makes you appreciate the miracles that Macca Brown was achieving in keeping them competitive. Fingers crossed, and hoping that they find their feet once the season proper starts.

11 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Millbrook look like big losers from the collapse of the SWPL/WL merger.

The current state of the club makes you appreciate the miracles that Macca Brown was achieving in keeping them competitive. Fingers crossed, and hoping that they find their feet once the season proper starts.

Very interested to see how Macca B does with the new look Ashes. Sad to see a very good squad disintegrate post season. A season of transition to be expected and no reason for the committee to fret about promotion this year!!

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash have had some pretty good results to be fair in pre Season and have managed to get Reece Thompson back. I think they surprise a few. 

Things seem to have been reassuringly quiet at Saltash this summer, which has made the keyboard warriors on here move on.. In amongst the bulk of players that have followed Macca Brown from Millbrook, a couple of signings stand out. The already talked about return of Reece Thompson from Mousehole, and also the addition of Dylan Jones to their squad. He's a player that they have high hopes for at Parkway after scoring lots of goals for their successful under 18's last season, and has appeared in all of their PSF's so far. It seems likely that he'll go out on loan this season as part of his development, one to watch if this is with The Ashes

Reece is a great signing and if Dylan Jones plays I think he'll score a few as he's already done in games for Parkway, he is certainly one of the best youngsters I've seen since Adam Mac during his Elburton Youth days. Saltash have done their business early and by the looks of things they've had a look at some others in the area (Bunning/Preece).

Macca certainly did more than what was expected at Millbrook, recruitment is always tough as Clubs try to find the right players whilst being financially stable.

One signing under the radar for Millbrook is young keeper Jack Arthur who ended the season deputising at Parkway. There seems to be lots of good keepers at Step 5 these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2023 at 09:11, Dave Deacon said:

Word is that there could be a withdrawal soon!

Overnight flight from US and en-route to Porthleven for 3 month stay took detour to Jenkins Park.

Visitors dominated match from start to finish and deserved winners. 

Strong rumour amongst home supporters, and have to say there was not that many, that Millbrook will be withdrawing from league by end of next month. If this happen does todays result still count towards end of season tally ?

Hoping to watch first ever fa cup match next Saturday but not sure whether to go Falmouth, Wendron, Mousehole or Helston. Any recommendations please ?

48 minutes ago, Leroy said:

Overnight flight from US and en-route to Porthleven for 3 month stay took detour to Jenkins Park.

Strong rumour amongst home supporters, and have to say there was not that many, that Millbrook will be withdrawing from league by end of next month. If this happen does todays result still count towards end of season tally ?

Hoping to watch first ever fa cup match next Saturday but not sure whether to go Falmouth, Wendron, Mousehole or Helston. Any recommendations please ?

Not sure what game you was at but the attendance was well over 100  getting half that last year and I didn’t hear any rumours amongst home crowd about pulling out of league  🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Leroy said:

If you want to go to a real occasion at a proper football ground with a large and vocal crowd and a decent atmosphere, there is nowhere like Bickland Park, Falmouth.

1 hour ago, Cornsish Pasty said:

Not sure what game you was at but the attendance was well over 100  getting half that last year and I didn’t hear any rumours amongst home crowd about pulling out of league  🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Was told that Bridgewater brought about 70 supporters with them.

9 hours ago, Leroy said:

Wendron 100%!

On 29/07/2023 at 21:58, Leroy said:

Mousehole if you want to see the best ground and best team out of those mentioned… Otherwise Falmouth would be a good second choice.

22 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Wendron 100%!

On 29/07/2023 at 21:58, Leroy said:

Can’t go wrong with either any of those. 
Helston best food

Falmouth best atmosphere

Mousehole best team

I’d vote Wendron obviously. Best ground in my eyes, certainly most unique. Pitch won several awards over past 10 years or so - admittedly Mousehole’s is top notch now and looks spectacular in photos. For us, debut season in FA Cup, potentially best game as well v St Blazey. Nicked us to the SWPL title last year by 3 points. Beat us on our patch last year but we beat them on theirs final game of the season, so should be a good fixture too. 
£6/£3 concessions 

Not sure financially that folding would be the best way forward and I'm sure Millbrook already assessed the option prior to the season starting. Withdrawal will be hit with a fine from the League, repayment of the travel grant, potential reimbursement of sponsorship etc. Unsure of the ruling in the WL but the SWPL state that if a side have travelled to you and you've not played away, then £1/mile must be issued for travel expenses. If you were going purely on a financial POV then folding the Reserves would be the sensible way forward. Ask those players to step up (4 involved in the squad on Saturday), use the travel grant as intended and hope that there are enough through the gate and in the bar to run the side.

If the 1sts fold, it could be a tricky way back for those involved at Millbrook.

a real shame for a club full of great people, it appears unfortunate, but a lot of the problems come from players following managers all at one time. Hard to begrudge players the opportunity to better themselves/enjoy their football more at a more successful side. Perhaps raises the question of succession planning with a good no 2! 

They had local/loyal players for the past 5+ seasons with Macca. Still have a strong local connection with Danny and Washy at the helm but finances have always been a sticking point. Think this shows what Mark and Macca built together, multiple fundraisers from stopping the Club going under again coupled with a strong local nucleus playing for minimal expenses.

I don't think there's any blame to be put on anyone. Running a local Club, as a volunteer, takes an awful lot of time and energy and once Mark stepped away, then Nick Hall, a new committee has had to be built with their own values and goals.

one game in and the hot topic on Luke’s lips is still the Millbrook setup.

Only reason I can see the for this is that his current 3rd team at Torpoint are struggling for players.

The same for FoulThrow3/ Callum Bays when a few of the 2nd team players were training with us, if u notice the timings of the comments from each, fair play, they’re doing well trying to destabilise us. 

A majority of the comments about Millbrook folding are coming from them, willing it to happen almost. It will be massively detrimental to local football if Millbrook were to fold, we have 3 Western League sides all within a 3 mile radius of Torpoint, celebrate it and enjoy it! The derby games are the biggest gates of both our seasons, why would u want to lose it?!

Financially the Club is in a better position that it has been in a few seasons, with all players for the 1st being paid on Saturday (some even refusing the take the packet after the loss). I can assure you all now, finances will not cause either of the teams to fold, nor the Club.

After Macca’s departure, Washy has had to build a whole new team, better performances will come. I have also had to put a new team together with the reserves. We have good numbers in each team.

Granted in 6 months time the situation may have changed, it could at any Club, I think for now, the topic can be closed and reassessed in a few months, not after 1 game.

Let’s talk about Torpoint 1st winning the WL, 2 in 2 now, Dean and Ryan are a fantastic pairing.

2 hours ago, Kori said:

Only reason I can see the for this is that his current 3rd team at Torpoint are struggling for players.

I can get 7 days put in for you if you like?

2 hours ago, Kori said:

A majority of the comments about Millbrook folding are coming from them, willing it to happen almost. It will be massively detrimental to local football if Millbrook were to fold, we have 3 Western League sides all within a 3 mile radius of Torpoint, celebrate it and enjoy it! The derby games are the biggest gates of both our seasons, why would u want to lose it?!

You've hit the nail on the head... Why would we want to lose a Boxing Day derby at The Mill? 

Player wise, they move in both directions all the time and this season is no different. We were disappointed to lose Charlie Brown and Jordan Mason this off-season but I wouldn't begrudge them playing a higher standard in the Western League. Vise-versa we would always look to improve, hence the signings of Ethan Hunt and Jay Boyle.

2 hours ago, Kori said:

Granted in 6 months time the situation may have changed, it could at any Club, I think for now, the topic can be closed and reassessed in a few months, not after 1 game.

There'll always be interest in the bigger Leagues, especially as the season starts. Results stand out as will be the case with yesterday's games, conscious Millbrook weren't playing.

Good luck for you season, sure that'll get picked up in the St Piran League sub-section. Sure you don't need to worry about our 3rds ;)

Definitely had us on the ropes a little bit during June with multiple players flirting between the two clubs. Luckily for us we've managed to keep/sign them. I genuinely haven't willed a Millbrook demise, more a concern. The derby was the first fixture I looked for when they were released in both leagues. Look forward to it and I wish you, Meds and Washy all the best, except when you play us of course. The Xmas period will be interesting! 

Great to hear the club is in a good position. I am delighted to hear that the infrastructure is so sound. Always saddens me to see the gates closed at Godolphin 

players/managers come and go, however the sustainability and future of the club should never be toyed with 

I for one will be supporting Millbrook from afar. The players who are representing the club at the moment are keeping it alive. Too many players could (and have done at other clubs) run off to score hat tricks on park pitches with their mates when times get tough 

The players that are there at the minute may not be good enough long term, but some will pull through. Those that aren’t should be remembered and celebrated in years to come in the lovely bar! 

A chance to regroup, bring through younger players and build perhaps for the year after (even in a lower league where you can win a lot more league games and get a good feeling ) 

the financial pressure a relatively small club like Millbrook must be under with travel etc is phenomenal. Every cloud and all that 

I am also not saying the club will get relegated already, but even if they did it wouldn’t be the end of the world