Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth Town 8. Wellington 0.

The Town Man

Wellington were the first team Falmouth faced on their return to the Western League last season and, if memory serves correctly, it was a tight affair that ended in a draw. 

Today highlighted how far Falmouth have come in those 13 months. Albeit if seems that Wellington have a weakened team this season.

Falmouth started brightly and were 3 up within 15 minutes. Tom Annear with the first from a powerful free-kick after a positive run from the much-improved Cam Hutchison ended in Hutchison being brought down a few yards outside of the Wellington box.

Luke Brabyn got his first from inside the area and then added another soon after. The best one coming after a mazy run from the tricky Jacob Grange. Later in the half, Alex Wharton broke down the left after an incisive through ball from Hutchison, cut in and put the ball through the legs of the advancing keeper. The scoring was completed by Grange after his central run was picked out putting him one on one with the keeper. 5-0 at half-time.

Falmouth started the 2nd half with the same line-up but with a little less intensity and had to wait a few minutes before adding a 6th through skipper James Ward from a Hutchison corner. The 7th goal came from a deep cross from the impressive substitute Kian Thomas which fell to Jared Simms on the far post who volleyed it Van Basten style past the Wellington keeper.

The final goal was scored by Hutchison after Brabyn performed some typical magic wide left in the box bamboozling the full back before the ball fell to Hutchison centrally who steered it home for his 5th of the season, cementing his position of top-scorer this season. Much deserved after an excellent game.

So Town improve their goal difference but remain behind Helston in 2nd place in the league.

How many weeks until Boxing Day???

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Wellington were the first team Falmouth faced on their return to the Western League last season and, if memory serves correctly, it was a tight affair that ended in a draw. 

Today highlighted how far Falmouth have come in those 13 months. Albeit if seems that Wellington have a weakened team this season.

Falmouth started brightly and were 3 up within 15 minutes. Tom Annear with the first from a powerful free-kick after a positive run from the much-improved Cam Hutchison ended in Hutchison being brought down a few yards outside of the Wellington box.

Luke Brabyn got his first from inside the area and then added another soon after. The best one coming after a mazy run from the tricky Jacob Grange. Later in the half, Alex Wharton broke down the left after an incisive through ball from Hutchison, cut in and put the ball through the legs of the advancing keeper. The scoring was completed by Grange after his central run was picked out putting him one on one with the keeper. 5-0 at half-time.

Falmouth started the 2nd half with the same line-up but with a little less intensity and had to wait a few minutes before adding a 6th through skipper James Ward from a Hutchison corner. The 7th goal came from a deep cross from the impressive substitute Kian Thomas which fell to Jared Simms on the far post who volleyed it Van Basten style past the Wellington keeper.

The final goal was scored by Hutchison after Brabyn performed some typical magic wide left in the box bamboozling the full back before the ball fell to Hutchison centrally who steered it home for his 5th of the season, cementing his position of top-scorer this season. Much deserved after an excellent game.

So Town improve their goal difference but remain behind Helston in 2nd place in the league.

How many weeks until Boxing Day???

And some (myself included) thought that Falmouth needed to sign a recognised striker in the summer...

24 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Let’s not do Luke Brabyn a disservice. He’s dangerous upfront. I still think they wouldn’t say no to another front-runner but as any manager will tell you, there aren’t many out there! 

Been very impressed with the young lad Jacob Grange, looks a class act and very clever player who never gives defenders a second.

Took in my final game before heading back to US tomorrow .

Deserved win for Falmouth, and no questioning they have the best of any teams supporters, but Wellington were extremely poor this afternoon, I reckon Porthleven Reserves would have beaten them today.

As always have enjoyed my stay in Cornwall.

Best wishes to you all until we return, hopefully similar time next year.

My one prediction for the season. Mousehole to profit from the transfer of some extremely talented players, maybe even their manager. Their overall business set up in both clever and interesting. 

11 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Continue to go against the grain without a recognised striker …. Very refreshing 

Just don't understand why strikers aren't cueing up to play at Bickland Park these days.  Decent level of football, a winning team, a now excellent ground and playing surface, and of course the infamous F-Troop providing an almost Football league-like atmosphere with their large numbers and constant singing.  When will local players ever get the chance to experience that in their playing careers?  

££££££??????

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Maybe it’s only the F Troop that think it’s everybody’s desire to play infront of Pikachu and a large cassette player🤣🤣🤣

Bash your so old school ,cassette player! :D.Its a Bluetooth speaker working off an I phone these days ,keep up old boy.As for pikachu ,that's Alan's weekend escape from  his arduous weekday job.Highest average attendance in the western league last season and will probably be this season as well.I see your attendances are dropping since the £2 increase in admission. Was told one of your early season games att was 85. SHOCKING

23 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I did just say I admire the support and atmosphere at Falmouth. Not sarcastically either if that’s what you’re suggesting.

Im glad we don’t have a speaker blasting out songs though I got to be honest!

Just asking tavi fan ,my source tells me you get about 130 -170 depending on the competition or opposition.what would you do to boost attendances?

54 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Bash your so old school ,cassette player! :D.Its a Bluetooth speaker working off an I phone these days ,keep up old boy.As for pikachu ,that's Alan's weekend escape from  his arduous weekday job.Highest average attendance in the western league last season and will probably be this season as well.I see your attendances are dropping since the £2 increase in admission. Was told one of your early season games att was 85. SHOCKING

But you do count all the kids who run around so not really ALL watching the wonderful attacking football perhaps. As for the £2 increase - doesn’t really encourage new spectators tbh but c’est la vie. 

42 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Just asking tavi fan ,my source tells me you get about 130 -170 depending on the competition or opposition.what would you do to boost attendances?

We’re a town which is half the size of Falmouth so naturally I wouldn’t expect our attendances to be as good as yours. 

However I do think we should be averaging about 200 (234 I think so far, only two games in and boosted by the bank holiday gate against Mousehole)

The club have given 300 free season tickets for the players and coaches of Tavistock Community FC to try and boost attendances now and for the future.

At £10 a pop too maybe that’s putting people off I don’t know? Social media has improved in recent years but I’d like to see more advertising within the town but all comes down to people have the time. If you could tell us the secret to boosting attendances I’d bite your hand off!

23 minutes ago, le boss said:

But you do count all the kids who run around so not really ALL watching the wonderful attacking football perhaps. As for the £2 increase - doesn’t really encourage new spectators tbh but c’est la vie. 

We don't alow goats in the ground ,not even on a lead.As for the children,no we don't count them otherwise the att would be even higher 😉 

19 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

If you could tell us the secret to boosting attendances I’d bite your hand off!

General Jeff!

Seriously though, Jeff has been prolific on social media over the last few years amongst some others and have raised the profile of the club in the town and surrounding areas. This coupled with year-on-year improvement and a majority of local (West Cornwall) players, as well as link-ups with local youth football clubs. Which is why we have so many kids running around Le Boss.

Finally, there is a rich history in the club and many of the past lapsed supporters have returned.

3 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

General Jeff!

Seriously though, Jeff has been prolific on social media over the last few years amongst some others and have raised the profile of the club in the town and surrounding areas. This coupled with year-on-year improvement and a majority of local (West Cornwall) players, as well as link-ups with local youth football clubs. Which is why we have so many kids running around Le Boss.

Finally, there is a rich history in the club and many of the past lapsed supporters have returned.

I guarantee general Jeff gave himself that nickname!!lol

You must count the kids...if they aren't attending then what are they doing there 

23 hours ago, Footy follower said:

I guarantee general Jeff gave himself that nickname!!lol

You must count the kids...if they aren't attending then what are they doing there 

Not guilty Footy follower, i tried for Field Marshall but the F-Troop told me no way ha ha ha :) .. I agree, of course the kids should be counted in, because they do count and are the future hard core support. UTT

On 10/09/2023 at 18:46, le boss said:

Not sure if we count all the kids actually but we should because they are as important as anyone. Ive heard that Helston click in the seagulls that fly over to boost their gates ha ha ha ..massive. The only time you lot get a big gate is when the F-Troop come to your hovel.  

1 hour ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Not guilty Footy follower, i tried for Field Marshall but the F-Troop told me no way ha ha ha :) .. I agree, of course the kids should be counted in, because they do count and are the future hard core support. UTT

Not sure if we count all the kids actually but we should because they are as important as anyone. Ive heard that Helston click in the seagulls that fly over to boost their gates ha ha ha ..massive. The only time you lot get a big gate is when the F-Troop come to your hovel.  

Touch of class right there Mr Chambers - calling another club’s ground a hovel. Back under your rock…