Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash United - I think the future could be bright!

Through a mixture of reasons I’ve found myself seeing the last four home games all defeats, yet I say there ARE real  promising signs at the Waterways. Those games have all followed a similar pattern. Even games with the visitors (Bridgy, Downton, Helston & Bucks) which were decided by those teams having a finisher. On play, this could be a mid-table side with a finisher. The style of play is pleasing on the eye up until the penalty area from there no-one seems to have any composure!!! Every game following the same pattern. Macca Brown must be so proud yet frustrated with this very young Saltash side.

Of course losing Ewing to Bideford and O’Melia to injury has been a critical blow to the Ashes. However, beyond the lack of a striker, there is no talker or organiser in the side. Not surprising with the lack of experience. A bit of experience in midfield and up front would, IMO, change Ashes prospects greatly.

That said, there is a nucleus of exciting players. Duffey in goal - the one player with experience - is a fine WL ‘keeper. Ethan Wright looks really special at wing-back and is a joy to watch. I think he is only 17 or 18. Tyler Love-Homes looks a fine all round player who I like to see get forward.  Joe Preece looks promising - exciting player whose decision making and final ball will surely improve.

I must give some credit to the Ashes regulars too. Another defeat, yet the boys were applauded off the field yesterday v Buckland. This is what is needed during this transition period at Saltash. I have to say despite the losses I’ve enjoyed watching this team recently.

Yesterday, Buckland were not at the best, but their experience showed. Good teams win matches even when below par. The second goal from Bridger was a lovely move and finish. It’s tough in the WL. Ashes were up against the quality Bush and Lewington in the Bucks forward line, yet did pretty well.

The rebuilding project at Saltash looks an interesting one. It would be lovely if they can make a success of it. Good to see young lads principally playing for the shirt too. 

Wish you well Ashes!

21 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Through a mixture of reasons I’ve found myself seeing the last four home games all defeats, yet I say there ARE real  promising signs at the Waterways. Those games have all followed a similar pattern. Even games with the visitors (Bridgy, Downton, Helston & Bucks) which were decided by those teams having a finisher. On play, this could be a mid-table side with a finisher. The style of play is pleasing on the eye up until the penalty area from there no-one seems to have any composure!!! Every game following the same pattern. Macca Brown must be so proud yet frustrated with this very young Saltash side.

Of course losing Ewing to Bideford and O’Melia to injury has been a critical blow to the Ashes. However, beyond the lack of a striker, there is no talker or organiser in the side. Not surprising with the lack of experience. A bit of experience in midfield and up front would, IMO, change Ashes prospects greatly.

That said, there is a nucleus of exciting players. Duffey in goal - the one player with experience - is a fine WL ‘keeper. Ethan Wright looks really special at wing-back and is a joy to watch. I think he is only 17 or 18. Tyler Love-Homes looks a fine all round player who I like to see get forward.  Joe Preece looks promising - exciting player whose decision making and final ball will surely improve.

I must give some credit to the Ashes regulars too. Another defeat, yet the boys were applauded off the field yesterday v Buckland. This is what is needed during this transition period at Saltash. I have to say despite the losses I’ve enjoyed watching this team recently.

Yesterday, Buckland were not at the best, but their experience showed. Good teams win matches even when below par. The second goal from Bridger was a lovely move and finish. It’s tough in the WL. Ashes were up against the quality Bush and Lewington in the Bucks forward line, yet did pretty well.

The rebuilding project at Saltash looks an interesting one. It would be lovely if they can make a success of it. Good to see young lads principally playing for the shirt too. 

Wish you well Ashes!

Nice to read a good news story about The Ashes. In addition to Kieran O'Melia (who sounds like a star in the making), I have heard lots of good things about Tyler Love-Holmes, as well as having a full season with Millbrook under Macca Brown last campaign, he was part of the successful Parkway under 18's side (along with Dylan Jones) so would think he is on Parkway's  (and other Southern League clubs) radar. Jordan Ewing has already moved upwards to Bideford, so would think the challenge will be in keeping this side together.

Speaking of young Ashes players, does anybody know what has happened to Callum Merrin? He was spoken about as a young player to watch to last season, moved on to St Blazey in the summer, and seems to have disappeared.

Having seen Saltash this season I would agree that they're a side that is building. Not the powerhouse of last season but going in the right direction. With the exception of Millbrook it shows how competitive the western league is with the Ashes' league position, they'll improve. As the gentleman has noted above, it's keeping this side together which is the main challenge as it looks like Thomson, Ewing, Wood and a couple of fringe players have moved on.