Cornwall Football Forum

NEW OWNERS AS CITY ARE ON THEIR WAY HOME!

Dave Deacon

8 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I think I’d want to see the new ownership signs and sealed and see what the TUFC budget is. Certainly putative owners have spoken of the Gulls going P/T. 

Wasn't there a "Wotton to Torquay" rumour knocking around a couple of years ago?

If there is anything in this story, then surely ex Truro legend Jake Ash would be a contender to replace him.

4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Wasn't there a "Wotton to Torquay" rumour knocking around a couple of years ago?

If there is anything in this story, then surely ex Truro legend Jake Ash would be a contender to replace him.

That would be bad news for Mousehole as sure a few of their players would fancy stepping up to that level. A more local look to the squad as well given they will be based in Cornwall.

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

No - very slim chance indeed! If at all!

I think Henderson to parkway but I don’t know anyone and the clubs could hate each other wouldn’t be surprised if he at least sat down and had a conversation, to anyone not involved…best part of the off season this!

On 08/05/2024 at 13:08, The Town Man said:

That would be bad news for Mousehole as sure a few of their players would fancy stepping up to that level. A more local look to the squad as well given they will be based in Cornwall.

Mousehole can rest easy I understand 👍

Paul Wotton should leave Truro with his head held high and the very best wishes of the supporters (even if it does give Truro a big headache now). 

The 5 seasons he has spent at the club is a long time at this sort of level, and it's a considerably longer than any of his predecessors managed in the modern "Kevin Heaney and post Heaney" era. When you consider that he has had to manage a club that has been homeless for the last 3 seasons,  the season before that being ended by COVID when they looked in a very strong position for promotion and the scant resources at his disposal compared to other clubs in the NLS .He has done an incredible job.

Attention will now turn to the next boss through the door, a crucial appointment as a strong start to the season is essential in getting crowds into the new ground at Langarth. There is also bound to be speculation about Wotton taking players with him, James Hamon is the immediate name that springs to mind.

11 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Heard Truro are looking at Matt cusuack. 
Let the merry go round commence . 
will be a very interesting summer. 

you have to. Feel for Truro. New stadium and now will be fighting all summer to keep the best players. 

Not sure about Matt Cusack to Truro. Very bright, intelligent and ambitious manager, yes. But he's never managed above step 5, and only coached at step 4. It is a huge jump to the NLS at step 2.

If it did happen though, Helston would have a vacancy that would need filling by a proven step 4 manager. Lee Hobbs maybe?

8 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Was a rumour led Hobbs was going to Barnstaple. Not sure how true.  

Keep hearing that, these sort of rumours do tend to feed on themselves though. Barnstaple would be a very good fit for Hobbs, a very ambitious chairman who sees them as a step 3 club in a hurry to get out of a very competitive Western League and would financially back a manager who's had success at this level and could get players in to achieve this. Lots of similarities to Parkway of a few seasons ago.

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Let’s be honest. Rocky , Tyler Harvey and Ed palmer all walk into that Torquay team. Not sure Truro can afford to lose them.  

Would think that Torquay will be looking at full time players and loanees from professional clubs, rather than a wholesale raid on Truro . Especially as it looks like the new consortium is going to bring more financial backing with them, and they will also have use of new Technical Director Neil Warnock's extensive networks and contacts . 

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Probably all on contracts by now and so can Torquay afford to gain them!

I assume it wasn’t cheap to buy out  Paul Wotton’s contract! 

Getting Paul Wotton to sign a "multi year contract" looks like a great bit of business now.

Would imagine he like a few players he developed at Truro and maybe they fancy going full time.  
what happening to Stuart yetton ?  Wotton right hand man.  I was never a great fan  he always seemed like the clown or joker and never really saw much coaching abilities especially his antics at time up at bolitho.
is he in the frame for Truro job ? Or has he gone with wotton 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

I doubt safety certificates would be in place and handed over  for a pre season, that would be a tall ask.

Are they required to have some sort of low key test event before a safety certificate is issued? Would think that the local authorities might like to check everything works.

Exactly!! It’ll be well worth the wait trust me!! Gonna be a cracking ground that’s just gonna get better and better over the years, think every City fan will grow to love it. The views are amazing as well, although I’m sure there will be plenty to watch on the pitch! Always sad to see a ground go like Treyew Road, had some fantastic days there on and off the pitch, but got to go with the flow these days haven’t you and City will have a ground to be proud of, can’t wait to watch a game there soon!! 👍👏🏼

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Much better article on Cornwall Live. From reading this, it looks like it will be ready to stage matches in September. A few weeks into the season, but after waiting 13 years for Truro to get a new ground, I'm sure everyone can wait a little longer.

18 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Much better article on Cornwall Live. From reading this, it looks like it will be ready to stage matches in September. A few weeks into the season, but after waiting 13 years for Truro to get a new ground, I'm sure everyone can wait a little longer.

Incredible progress considering we all laughed when they said it would be ready! What they’ve done up there, given the weather last winter especially, is clearly something they deserve a lot of credit for 

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

why would you say September?

JW

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Incredible progress considering we all laughed when they said it would be ready! What they’ve done up there, given the weather last winter especially, is clearly something they deserve a lot of credit for 

couldn't agree with you more.  Far to many jumping on the bandwagon slagging of CC etc without knowing anything themselves.

JW

59 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

why would you say September?

From the Cornwall Live piece;

"It meets FA specifications to ensure Truro City’s rise through the ranks and will see the team kick off for the first time in September."

"The main point is Truro City needs to be playing football here in September which they’re going to do. That’s on.”

Agree with what Matt P said on this. Having this facility ready for NLS football this season, even if it is a few weeks late, is one hell of an achievement. And yes, I was one of the doubters about this happening. 

6 minutes ago, Craze said:

Season starts in August - are we requesting our first few fixtures are switched to away games? 

Not clear, but looks like that. 

NLS fixtures are out on Friday I believe, so that might provide a bit of clarity.