Cornwall Football Forum

Parkway game off

What a shambles again

ref taken 1 look and called it off  

. Could see the pitch looked awful soon as I turned up. 
away team again wasted journey.  
the pitch is horrendous state. The sooner Truro depart the better. 
can see why they are being forced up to Truro. 
what waste of afternoon for everyone. 
back hone watching England play rubbish in the rugby now.  

1 minute ago, Tavi Fan said:

How much does a pitch inspection cost? 

Regardless, the rules need to change. Too many clubs are travelling to find pitches unplayable way before scheduled kick off times. 

Combination of financial and fixture pressures means that clubs are desperate to get games played. Losing a Saturday home match potentially means a lot of food and drink revenue lost (doubt that midweek rearrangements bring in the same money) , and we are now down to about 11 weeks left in the season so gaps in the calender to fit them in are now running out (still every chance we'll get more poor weather as well).

I’m not suggesting a pitch inspection at 8am would’ve been the answer today. But in general a lot of these games would’ve been called off had inspections been arranged before teams travelled.

My understanding is (and happy to be corrected if so) that games can’t be called off based on forecasts. However when we went to Mousehole the forecast was horrific and when Dartford travelled to Truro it was freezing from 7pm onwards. Common sense really does need to come into play and allow referees bought in for inspections to take forecasts into consideration to avoid teams wasting their time travelling.

In many situations I do think teams should cover themselves and at least arrange for a pitch inspection.

37 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I’m not suggesting a pitch inspection at 8am would’ve been the answer today. But in general a lot of these games would’ve been called off had inspections been arranged before teams travelled.

My understanding is (and happy to be corrected if so) that games can’t be called off based on forecasts. However when we went to Mousehole the forecast was horrific and when Dartford travelled to Truro it was freezing from 7pm onwards. Common sense really does need to come into play and allow referees bought in for inspections to take forecasts into consideration to avoid teams wasting their time travelling.

In many situations I do think teams should cover themselves and at least arrange for a pitch inspection.

Taking the forecast into account. It wouldnt take long for the keyboard warriors to hang draw and quarter a referee if he or she did that and a forecast rain/storm episode bypassed the ground 

When you travelled to Mousehole there had been two inspection and the match was declared on, one of those inspections right in front of you all, the referee that day could do absolutely nothing about the weather that came in just before kick off, he carried out the instruction to the letter, the club supplied video evidence to the league, ref and away club so no more could be done, the away team was already in the county having stayed at a hotel the previous night so please tell me what more could have been done WITHIN THE RULES as they stand?  

As BB states if they had taken a chance and called games off then the rain misses the brown smelly stuff would be hitting the fan, officials have a very difficult job to do so we should spend more time backing them not nocking them

54 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Common sense really does need to come into play and allow referees bought in for inspections to take forecasts into consideration to avoid teams wasting their time travelling.

Chill out ffs. I was saying to the forum that I think referees should be able to take forecasts into consideration when doing inspections (which you’re saying you arranged so chill out) to avoid teams travelling? Which from my understanding is that they currently can’t

Oh and I’m not knocking the officials 👍 

8 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Chill out ffs. I was saying to the forum that I think referees should be able to take forecasts into consideration when doing inspections (which you’re saying you arranged so chill out) to avoid teams travelling? Which from my understanding is that they currently can’t

Oh and I’m not knocking the officials 👍 

I just think either way refs are made scapegoats often and whilst what you say makes perfect sense it would be at the detriment to them 

In all honesty the forcast wasn’t that bad. A bit of light rain. Every other game around was on 

The problem is the pitch is awful . It Never been great and Never should have 2 teams on it.  It gets destroyed every week. Then patched up .  
parkway felt it was ok to play on and I have seen them play on worse.  But the ref probably done them a favour really. If they played on that  today that pitch wouldn’t have recovered for weeks. 

Different level, but Lakeside Ath (Devon League)was called off this morning due to a waterlogged pitch. The annoying bit rain all day Wednesday, sunshine Thursday, rain again yesterday. East Devon hardly any rain over the last 3 days.  The weather forecast is not good for next week either  No chance for the pitch to recover 

A question that occurs to me when I see the argument that Bolitho is overplayed because of the Parkway / Truro ground-share: how many games are played at Bolitho compared to most other non-league grounds?  Many if not most grounds play host to a men's 1st team, a women's team, a men's reserve team, perhaps one or more youth teams too.  Is the playing load on Bolitho actually that much heavier than many other non-league grounds? 

10 minutes ago, Gary Hocking said:

A question that occurs to me when I see the argument that Bolitho is overplayed because of the Parkway / Truro ground-share: how many games are played at Bolitho compared to most other non-league grounds?  Many if not most grounds play host to a men's 1st team, a women's team, a men's reserve team, perhaps one or more youth teams too.  Is the playing load on Bolitho actually that much heavier than many other non-league grounds? 

Great point.....it annoys me when I see Truro playing on it getting the blame rather than an obviously poor pitch.

4 hours ago, Gary Hocking said:

That went through my mind too that a lot of teams have reserve sides, so no different to Parkway and Truro using one pitch. Few years ago Buckland's main pitch was used by the firsts, Reserves, U18s and the ladies first team. Throw in a couple of representative matches from sides not associated to the club and you get much more usage than at Bolitho. 

On 04/02/2024 at 09:59, Gary Hocking said:

A question that occurs to me when I see the argument that Bolitho is overplayed because of the Parkway / Truro ground-share: how many games are played at Bolitho compared to most other non-league grounds?  Many if not most grounds play host to a men's 1st team, a women's team, a men's reserve team, perhaps one or more youth teams too.  Is the playing load on Bolitho actually that much heavier than many other non-league 

Almost impossible to compare different pitches. So many things such as slopes, how much sun it gets, different soil types, a high water table as a result of having a nearby river, how sheltered it is from the wind and if it has trees  surrounding it mean they all have their particular individual issues and traits. Sure Older would have had many thoughts on this 

Lux Park, Liskeard had a reputation as a poorly draining pitch in the 90's after the building of the leisure centre at one end seemed to alter its character. Marsh Parc at Callington is another problematic one, it has that name for a reason.

I have no doubt what older would say. If you seed a pitch it needs 12 months to bed in to get the roots down to a decent depth. As I believe he said at the time. No doubt there are drainage problems with Bolitho several years ago I was on a groundsman course there and with not a lot of rain that week one corner was under water. Yet a game was played that Saturday good luck to whoever looks after the ground.

Very true Ieuan, all grounds have different make up, and soil depth and what that sits on make a massive difference our ground for instance is built on a marsh and in places only has about six inches of soil depth so a decent root structure is very hard to obtain, add to that seasons starting way too early so new grass cant establish itself before the games start, and the expectation of perfect playing surfaces which will mean that grounds are becoming more and more compacted due to the amount of work being done on them all add up and then it just becomes easy to blame the ref on a Saturday for calling a game off. I truly feel for the groundstaff at Bolitho they are on a hiding to nothing, and so are the refs, and also weather patterns are changing, the water table where we are at Trungle has risen which affects the drainage system so theres far more to consider before just having a pop when a game is called off, rant over. 

On 03/02/2024 at 14:43, sportsman10 said:

What a shambles again

ref taken 1 look and called it off  

. Could see the pitch looked awful soon as I turned up. 
away team again wasted journey.  
the pitch is horrendous state. The sooner Truro depart the better. 
can see why they are being forced up to Truro. 
what waste of afternoon for everyone. 
back hone watching England play rubbish in the rugby now.  

Parkway were happy to take Truro's money and the ground improvements that enabled. Further, some think some postponements have always had a focus on the impact that might have on the following Parkway fixture, but I'm not going to be as cynical as that. It's fair to say leaving Plymouth, although quite convenient for me personally, will be a joy.

Moving forward the pitch needs serious money to be spent of it. At the level PPFC are at it, Bolitho Park has one of the poorest and least resilient pitches in the SW. Truro leaving will not  magically improve matters.

No, for the reasons you state. Even with if the increased demand on the pitch, Parkway have not put enough resources into the pitch. They took the Truro money, but seemingly did very little to have additional work on the pitch.

Whilst the yet to be officially announced Taunton move will be inconvenient for all, I’ll be shedding no tears at not being at Boglitho Park 😉

47 minutes ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

No, for the reasons you state. Even with if the increased demand on the pitch, Parkway have not put enough resources into the pitch. They took the Truro money, but seemingly did very little to have additional work on the pitch.

Whilst the yet to be officially announced Taunton move will be inconvenient for all, I’ll be shedding no tears at not being at Boglitho Park 😉

The first season Truro arrived at Bolitho, the surface was ripped right back to the bare bones and new drainage system installed, so id beg to differ Barry, and yes i was there.

However, how successful the work was is another matter, but trust me, Parkway did everything advised by this professional company.

Excluding PSFs (which are limited), we've had 34 games hosted at The Mill (1XI, 2XI, 3XI +(*1 PAWFC & *1 school game). Each pitch is different and can weather can cause issues. For us, it's the severe heat as the soil profile is so shallow. However, we usually cope well(ish) in the winter as it drains well dependent on the tide... (sounds silly but it really effects us). God knows how many games Helston have had this year but they rarely have any games off!

Bolitho always looks good at the start of the season but seems to shred quickly once the winter months arrive.

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

Does anyone know much Truro paid Plymouth Parkway each season to be able to use Bolitho Park as their temporary home ground?

I’m not sure. The first season was a considerable amount as it was either play there or drop out the league with no facilities. Parkway used the money to upgrade the ground. ( this was going be done anyway . 
The problem also is match days. Parkway run the bar supply bar staff  , look after the ground ,  food , match day announcement . Tickets .Would be interested to know what volunteers Truro have for this when they go back. 

2 hours ago, Luke Gibbons said:

Excluding PSFs (which are limited), we've had 34 games hosted at The Mill (1XI, 2XI, 3XI +(*1 PAWFC & *1 school game). Each pitch is different and can weather can cause issues. For us, it's the severe heat as the soil profile is so shallow. However, we usually cope well(ish) in the winter as it drains well dependent on the tide... (sounds silly but it really effects us). God knows how many games Helston have had this year but they rarely have any games off!

Bolitho always looks good at the start of the season but seems to shred quickly once the winter months arrive.

Helston have 3 x mens teams plus the Ladies and Vets play every home game on the main pitch and I think I'm right in saying they've had no games off yet. Pays dividends by putting the work in on the pitch pre season.

29 minutes ago, BAGMAN said:

Helston have 3 x mens teams plus the Ladies and Vets play every home game on the main pitch and I think I'm right in saying they've had no games off yet. Pays dividends by putting the work in on the pitch pre season.

You can spend a fortune on any pitch, but if the soil make up etc is not optimum it wont help, i know for a fact hours and hours of volunteer labour is spent on Callington’s Marsh Park, but through no fault of anyone, it struggles in winter.

1 hour ago, JonColenzo said:

You can spend a fortune on any pitch, but if the soil make up etc is not optimum it wont help, i know for a fact hours and hours of volunteer labour is spent on Callington’s Marsh Park, but through no fault of anyone, it struggles in winter.

Given how many pitch maintenance and management experts we have on this forum, I'm surprised that local clubs struggle for volunteer groundstaff. 😁

7 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Given how many pitch maintenance and management experts we have on this forum, I'm surprised that local clubs struggle for volunteer groundstaff. 😁

Would love to do a poll to see who on here actually volunteer at their local club rather than find fault with people who do.

5 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

The first season Truro arrived at Bolitho, the surface was ripped right back to the bare bones and new drainage system installed, so id beg to differ Barry, and yes i was there.

However, how successful the work was is another matter, but trust me, Parkway did everything advised by this professional company.

That may be so, but the resultant catalogue of cancellations suggests something is seriously awry. As soon as Autumn comes the pitch deteriorates alarmingly. This is not a one-off issue. Last season was the same. 

2 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Excellent point re the aptly named Marsh Parc.  

However, some pitches do show a remarkable resilience. This is due to a variety of factors, including resources and personnel, but also to pitch care support.

Torpoint is almost indestructible! Liskeard are good at getting games on, as are Helton.  Saltash do fairly well too. Cally, through no fault of their own, are facing an uphill battle with even moderate levels of rain.

The irony of this talk about pitches, is that Taunton’s pitch was utterly trashed last night and getting a game on it this Saturday will be very difficult. Out of the frying pan and all that.

Beyond the state of pitches themselves, there is the difficulty of management of postponing fixtures, especially at Step 4 and upwards in view of the travelling involved. Two late cancellations at Boglitho has understandably been the subject of much discussion.

One last point, once you reach a certain level in the pyramid, should you be so reliant on volunteers? Below say, step 5 downwards, volunteers are few (and mostly ageing), but are they valued? As an outside observer, some places yes, but others not.

15 minutes ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

However, some pitches do show a remarkable resilience. This is due to a variety of factors, including resources and personnel, but also to pitch care support.

Torpoint is almost indestructible! Liskeard are good at getting games on, as are Helton.  Saltash do fairly well too. Cally, through no fault of their own, are facing an uphill battle with even moderate levels of rain.

The irony of this talk about pitches, is that Taunton’s pitch was utterly trashed last night and getting a game on it this Saturday will be very difficult. Out of the frying pan and all that.

Beyond the state of pitches themselves, there is the difficulty of management of postponing fixtures, especially at Step 4 and upwards in view of the travelling involved. Two late cancellations at Boglitho has understandably been the subject of much discussion.

One last point, once you reach a certain level in the pyramid, should you be so reliant on volunteers? Below say, step 5 downwards, volunteers are few (and mostly ageing), but are they valued? As an outside observer, some places yes, but others not.

Very good article in this month's When Saturday Comes about how climate change (and more extreme weather)is proving seriously challenging for non league football.

23 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Very good article in this month's When Saturday Comes about how climate change (and more extreme weather)is proving seriously challenging for non league football.

A much overlooked factor. Good point. Hopefully this messy temporary ground switch will get TCFC & Parkway through the season. 

It’ll be interesting to see what action PPFC will take to alleviate ongoing pitch issues. 

13 hours ago, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

That may be so, but the resultant catalogue of cancellations suggests something is seriously awry. As soon as Autumn comes the pitch deteriorates alarmingly. This is not a one-off issue. Last season was the same. 

There’s nothing awry, Bolitho is a notoriously difficult ground to drain, as is the marsh, nothings changed.

it all depends where the drains take the water to after effectively removing it from the pitch and how fast they do it. When laying a new pitch at Hayle in 1995 I was advised to dig a large soakaway in the bottom corner .The pitch was designed to run  with a 1.5m approx slope from corner to corner. Over the years this effectively took away the water if it stopped raining about two hours before KO. Granted we were at the top of a hill and always with a decent breeze but in my 24 years I believe we only cancelled 10 matches three of which were snow and/ice. Always in debt to Older for his inputs over the years all of which proved correct!

On 07/02/2024 at 19:33, Both SIdes of the Tamar said:

Helston P-P Saltash