Cornwall Football Forum

Truro's 2024/25 Squad and Summer Transfer Gossip Thread.

To kick off then - and courtesy of their website

Truro City can reveal its retained and released list after the conclusion of the 2023-24 Vanarama National League South campaign, and ahead of season 24-25.

Players who remain under contract with Truro City:

Will Dean
Tyler Harvey
Connor Riley-Lowe
Andrew Neal
Tom Harrison
Morgan Jones

Players who the club have exercised options on, to remain with Truro City:

Ryan Law
Dan Sullivan
Dan Rooney
Ed Palmer
Ben Adelsbury
Dominic Johnson-Fisher
Billy Palfrey

Players who the club have exercised options on, to remain with Truro City, but have chosen to leave:

Adam Porter*

*Adam expressed a desire to return to his native north west with a mutual agreement between both the player and club reached.

Players who are out of contract and have not been offered a new deal by Truro City:

James Melhado
Ryan Brett
James Taylor
Josh Hinds

Players who are out of contract, but Truro City have either discussed or will be discussing new terms with:

James Hamon
Matt Buse

Players who were on loan to Truro City and have returned to their parent clubs:

Luther Munakandafa
Ryan Kavanagh
Sam Sanders
Archie Harris
Finn Tonks
Lewis Brown
Keon Sanniola

Truro City would like to express its sincere thanks and gratitude to every single player that represented the club in this, a hugely challenging, but ultimately successful season.

We also extend best wishes to all those departing players, in their future endeavours.

Personally disappointed that Ports has left, a cracking little player

Kept the core of the squad together, but interesting to see that negotiations are ongoing with James Hamon regarding a new contract. As a keeper who had an outstanding season in the NLS last time around, would think that he'll be in demand.

Harmon needs to be desperately retained. As good as any ‘keeper in the NL South. I feel Melhado a little unlucky, but no qualms with the departees. 

I’d not be too bothered about Bude.

Ports will be a loss but understandable that he wants to return up north.

Think continuity is wise. It’ll be interesting to see what this group can do now City will have a proper home base. 

22 hours ago, Graham Martin said:

So is Ed Palmer.

Seen Ed Palmer play for various clubs over the years, so was amazed to see the latest slimmed down version and the  almost Beckenbauer like style of play this season 

20 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Seen Ed Palmer play for various clubs over the years, so was amazed to see the latest slimmed down version and the  almost Beckenbauer like style of play this season 

Second that, tbh I thought he was a clogger, but the performance he put on at Yeovil when we lost 2-1, having had our chances he was absolutely immense, his engine incredible, his ability to break forward game-breaking, a real eye catching performance. A firm favourite of mine now!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Paul wotton definitely seems to be favourite  and who would he bring with him player wise with Truro hanging a bit of money. . 
that would be some blow to Truro. 

Could be bad news for the now three Cornish Southern League teams if Truro lose some players and look to recruit locally.

Which Falmouth, Helston and Mousehole players do people think could step up to play for Truro? 

On 12/05/2024 at 23:34, The Town Man said:

Could be bad news for the now three Cornish Southern League teams if Truro lose some players and look to recruit locally.

Which Falmouth, Helston and Mousehole players do people think could step up to play for Truro? 

Hayden Turner is a player who could play higher than Step 4  I’d not be sure of any other prospects from the clubs you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Hayden Turner is a player who could play higher than Step 4  I’d not be sure of any other prospects from the clubs you mentioned.

Totally agree, he wouldn’t look out of place at this level right away. However, I also believe, certain players, if given a fair chance, could reach that level of performance. Dylan Jones of Plymouth Parkway seems to be on an upward spiral after being given a chance. Some players just come from nowhere and naturally progress up through the levels. I often find it annoying that managers play it safe and sign players who have done it before and been around the block. Jacob Smith for Helston turned out to be a shrewd signing, does he have further potential ? This summer for sure is going to be an interesting one. 

1 hour ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Totally agree, he wouldn’t look out of place at this level right away. However, I also believe, certain players, if given a fair chance, could reach that level of performance. Dylan Jones of Plymouth Parkway seems to be on an upward spiral after being given a chance. Some players just come from nowhere and naturally progress up through the levels. I often find it annoying that managers play it safe and sign players who have done it before and been around the block. Jacob Smith for Helston turned out to be a shrewd signing, does he have further potential ? This summer for sure is going to be an interesting one. 

Dylan Jones is an exciting prospect. Let’s see him establish himself more fully at Step 3. The potential to go higher is there and plain to see. I think, generally, many under-estimate how big a gulf in standard there is between each part of the NLS pyramid. 

Another interesting watch will be Jack Bray-Evan’s. Great at each step to date, but is he Southern League Premier standard?  I hope so once fit again.

On 14/05/2024 at 22:39, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Believe both Dylan Jones and Jacob Smith were involved in the youth system at Exeter City before being released at 16, so would think that new Parkway boss Chris McPhee has previously worked with the pair of them. Hopefully he is aware of a few more gems like these two.

Any word on a likely timescale for the appointment of a new manager at Truro? Understand that the new NLS season will start on the 2nd Saturday in August, so would think that we're now about 4/5 weeks away from pre season beginning. Notice that a lot of City's rivals in this league have already been very busy making additions to their squads. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Craze said:

*TUMBLEWEED*

Have to be patient I guess, June is usually when the non league scene starts to get going again. Would hope though that the process is of appointing a new manager is well advanced, worth the wait if they make the right appointment and don't just get somebody in to fill the post.

4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Have to be patient I guess, June is usually when the non league scene starts to get going again. Would hope though that the process is of appointing a new manager is well advanced, worth the wait if they make the right appointment and don't just get somebody in to fill the post.

What this is teaching me is that the non-league calendar ends too early. I am bored! 😆

24 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

You're usually pretty well tuned into these things Dave.

John Askey would seem like a good fit, profile below is from Wikipedia.

"Askey has a reputation for playing attractive football and for managing teams on a budget by spotting ability in young players and helping revive the careers of players whose careers had stalled. His favoured formation is a 4–3–3 and he prefers to play with a high-tempo, pressing style. :

2 hours ago, Graham Martin said:

Truro's keeper James Hamon today announces he is leaving the Club. A big, big loss.

The obvious choice for who Paul Wotton was going to take with him to Torquay. One the best keepers in the NLS last season.

On 31/05/2024 at 12:05, The Town Man said:

Assume it was the last line of the Wiki profile regarding his personal life that was of interest:

"He is currently house hunting in the Truro area"

That bit has now been removed. Someone enjoying a bit of mischief making no doubt. 

52 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Decent manager, be interesting if he could be tempted to relocate to Cornwall. 

9 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Seems very quiet on the incoming player front at Truro. With pre season now getting close, would think we'll see a lot of activity in the next week or so.

Top of the shopping list is a goalkeeper. 

Very quiet 🤨

36 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Interesting read. Suggestions of realistic signing options for Truro City (his opinions I must hasten to add).

https://offtheline599656488.wordpress.com/2024/06/18/a-summer-rebuild-for-truro-city-under-john-askey/

Would any of them players really want to up root and travel to Truro to play. .  Even Massey would think how much game time he going to get infront of Harvey and rockey.  

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Interesting read. Suggestions of realistic signing options for Truro City (his opinions I must hasten to add).

https://offtheline599656488.wordpress.com/2024/06/18/a-summer-rebuild-for-truro-city-under-john-askey/

Is this some bloke who has looked at the release lists and goal stats of clubs and put a wish-list together or does he have some pedigree in the game?

Fair enough suggesting unattached players but a bit disrespectful suggesting players already presumably committed to their clubs (Such as Oscar Massey)

That being said, if he hadn't had mentioned Massey I wouldn't be on here moaning!

8 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Is this some bloke who has looked at the release lists and goal stats of clubs and put a wish-list together or does he have some pedigree in the game?

Fair enough suggesting unattached players but a bit disrespectful suggesting players already presumably committed to their clubs (Such as Oscar Massey)

That being said, if he hadn't had mentioned Massey I wouldn't be on here moaning!

His blogs on non league football are quite a good read. He does appear to have a knowledge of the scene, and seems well connected. The pieces on individual clubs, and suggested signings, does have the look though of being pulled together from sites such as Transfermarkt and databases on Football Manager.