Cornwall Football Forum

Truro's 2024/25 Squad and Summer Transfer Gossip Thread.

On 09/07/2024 at 21:36, sportsman10 said:

Big step up for most of them . Gabby Rodgers seems to float around lots of teams in pre season not really impressive when I’ve seen him.  Oscar massy surely better staying were he is rather then warming the bench watching Ricky neal and Harvey playing week in week out. 
Tyler love holmes looks a tidy player but that some step up.  

Gabby Rogers ran the show for Barum at Callington last Saturday. Skilful player, but showboats a bit - which looks silly against Step 6 opponents. On ability good enough, but seems not to stay anywhere for too long, which raises some doubts.

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Gabby Rogers ran the show for Barum at Callington last Saturday. Skilful player, but showboats a bit - which looks silly against Step 6 opponents. On ability good enough, but seems not to stay anywhere for too long, which raises some doubts.

I agree...very good player but more about him than the team

6 minutes ago, Craze said:

This is the week, I can feel it!

I would go and see a doctor. 😁

Seriously though, 1st of August is when I would think there will be news of player incoming.  8 month contracts to see them through to the end of April (the NLS season).

Macca Brown has let it slip that Tylor Love-Holmes has joined Truro from Saltash.

"Of course it’s not been perfect for us. Tylor has departed for Truro which is an incredible opportunity for him and one he thoroughly deserves a shot at.
“We are all proud of his progress, he had an outstanding season last year and there was a lot of interest in him over the summer and I think Truro are probably the one side locally who would have lured him away and that’s the case. 
“He’s still only 19, has a brilliant attitude and is a cracking boy so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if his move to Truro was a huge success and we wish him well.”

Truro City are delighted to announce the signing of Seidou Sanogo on a two-year deal, until the summer of 2026.

Sanogo, a midfielder by trade, has been training with the Tinners’ first team squad throughout pre-season and he caught in the eye in friendly victories over Torpoint Athletic and Willand Rovers.

Last season, Sanogo was a regular for Isthmian Premier Division side Folkestone Invicta, where he bagged eight goals. Prior to joining the Step Three outfit in December 2023, he previously played for Chatham Town, helping the Chats win the Isthmian League South East title in 2022-23.

“I am very happy and the club are perfect for me,” he told trurocity.co.uk. “The style the team play is good and the manager has been pushing for me to sign because he believes we will do very well in this league.

“For me, I will always work hard to try my best for the badge and for the fans and so far, I am really enjoying it.

“I can see that this club is a project that is building momentum with a new stadium and that will mean more fans can come and see us express ourselves as players.

“I think this will a good year for Truro City, helped by the new manager, who is very experienced at this level.

“I feel that this is right move for me at this moment in time and although I was pleased with my performances in the two friendlies, there is more to come from me in a Truro City shirt.”

https://trurocity.co.uk/2024/07/truro-city-sign-seidou-sanogo/

14 hours ago, Graham Martin said:

2 good signings. Mr.Askey is building his squad. I think squad numbers currently stand at around 16.

You'd like to think we'll get a couple on loan

27 minutes ago, Craze said:

You'd like to think we'll get a couple on loan

Would think so, squad still looks light on numbers to me.

Any news on additions to John Askey's coaching staff? That was another area they looked light on last season, especially when you saw how many people other NLS sides had in the technical area and looking after pre match preparations (currently looks like it's only Askey, Stewart Yetton and the ever present Deba Sidhu).

On 24/07/2024 at 17:52, Ian Pethick said:

Macca Brown has let it slip that Tylor Love-Holmes has joined Truro from Saltash.

"Of course it’s not been perfect for us. Tylor has departed for Truro which is an incredible opportunity for him and one he thoroughly deserves a shot at.
“We are all proud of his progress, he had an outstanding season last year and there was a lot of interest in him over the summer and I think Truro are probably the one side locally who would have lured him away and that’s the case. 
“He’s still only 19, has a brilliant attitude and is a cracking boy so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if his move to Truro was a huge success and we wish him well.”

He had a brilliant game over at Torpoint.......but where will he play given that Ryan Law and Connor Riley lowe occupy the wing back positions?

1 hour ago, Footy follower said:

He had a brilliant game over at Torpoint.......but where will he play given that Ryan Law and Connor Riley lowe occupy the wing back positions?

Very talented young player, but it's quite the jump from step 5 to step 2 football. Would a loan spell at a step 3 club(Parkway or Tiverton for example), be beneficial?

Regarding City's current full backs, although Riley-Lowe is a superb player, on the occasions I saw them he did look awkward as a natural left footer at right back. Seemed to unbalance the side as he was always checking inside when in possession. 

On 18/07/2024 at 12:58, Footy follower said:

I agree...very good player but more about him than the team

Exactly that at Clevedon yesterday, constantly back chatting the bench and ordering changes. Decent player but as you say all about him. Doubt he will stay at Barnstaple too long 

23 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

How does it work when trialiist’s get booked/sent off ? The officials must have team sheet to know who’s who.. is the team sheet ready available to spectators or is it kept in house with the officials ? Just interested how it works ?

Really good point. One for the forum's resident referees (we used to have a few on here) to answer.

The referee would simply ask the players name when issuing the caution/red card. This is the official process for all games, even when referees have team sheets.

Admittedly it's rarely carried out this way for anything above St Piran league as the team sheets are accurate and the players are often well known anyway.

We rarely get team sheets for pre season games.

11 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

How does it work when trialiist’s get booked/sent off ? The officials must have team sheet to know who’s who.. is the team sheet ready available to spectators or is it kept in house with the officials ? Just interested how it works ?

Team sheets aren't required by law. Only the names of substitutes have to be provided to the referee. Competition rules dictate whether one must be supplied. Preseason does not fall under a specific competition.

As @Titus Bramble says the caution procedure involves confirming the name of the player and that is reported to the County FA after the match

Young winger Tavonga Kuleya joins Truro on an initial month long loan from Doncaster Rovers, squad is coming together now.

Surprised to see that the bookies have City to finish 24th and bottom in next season's NLS.  

They are currently at 66/1 with Bet Victor to win the league. Their predicted top 4 is Dorking at 7/2, Maidstone 6/1, Borehamwood 10/1 and Torquay at 12/1.

This is all before a competitive ball has been kicked though.

4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Young winger Tavonga Kuleya joins Truro on an initial month long loan from Doncaster Rovers, squad is coming together now.

Surprised to see that the bookies have City to finish 24th and bottom in next season's NLS.  

They are currently at 66/1 with Bet Victor to win the league. Their predicted top 4 is Dorking at 7/2, Maidstone 6/1, Borehamwood 10/1 and Torquay at 12/1.

This is all before a competitive ball has been kicked though.

We're predicted rock bottom? Having moved home and good early signs that under the new owner we're going to be that bit more professional. What are the odds on us staying up - I think I'll put some cash on that if theres some value

On 01/08/2024 at 19:25, Craze said:

We're predicted rock bottom? Having moved home and good early signs that under the new owner we're going to be that bit more professional. What are the odds on us staying up - I think I'll put some cash on that if theres some value

Survival will be a good season in my humble opinion. Big changes, new manager, squad rebuild…. Stay in the league and then go again

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Survival will be a good season in my humble opinion. Big changes, new manager, squad rebuild…. Stay in the league and then go again

Its the target for the foreseeable, no chance of getting out of this league against some of the budgets up the top end. Wonder what the owner is prepared to put in.

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

Wonder how good the attendances will be to help rebuild the club's coffers! 

Indeed. Looks like they've sold all family tickets which seems a positive sign? Any other insight on what ticket sales have been like for the opening game/season tickets?

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

Totally agree, survival would be a good season, but the main emphasis for this season should be about starting to create a fully sustainable club for future seasons. The most important thing is balancing the financial outgoings and incomings for this season, and not necessarily going for broke with the playing squad. What an exciting time for Cornish football throughout the county, which is definitely on the up.

1 hour ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Totally agree, survival would be a good season, but the main emphasis for this season should be about starting to create a fully sustainable club for future seasons. The most important thing is balancing the financial outgoings and incomings for this season, and not necessarily going for broke with the playing squad. What an exciting time for Cornish football throughout the county, which is definitely on the up.

I can’t see the club ever being sustainable at that level without the money of an individual. The costs of running the club must be extremely high!  At the moment everything is new so people will want to be part of it but once it’s been there for a year or 2 the interest will dwindle and the money will start to dry up. 

Mr Masters says the plan is EFL in 5 years, I would love to see the business plan for that!  I reckon you’d be looking at around £3m - £4m in players wages alone to get there over that time.  Plus the ground improvement costs. 

8 hours ago, Craze said:

Sully has left the club. Surely we need 3-4 more signings to get us through the season

Seemed to suffer with injuries last season, but Danny Sullivan was superb in the 2022/23 SL promotion campaign. His ability to play in a creative part in that hole between midfield and forwards made him very influential for City. A tough player to replace.

3 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Seemed to suffer with injuries last season, but Danny Sullivan was superb in the 2022/23 SL promotion campaign. His ability to play in a creative part in that hole between midfield and forwards made him very influential for City. A tough player to replace.

Was really clever with his late runs in and around the box. Agree with everything you've said there.

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Wonder how good the attendances will be to help rebuild the club's coffers! 

Saturday's visitors, Dorking, who are considered by many to be the club in this league with the largest budget, and many people's favourites to win it, had an average attendance of over 1900 in the NL last time around.

Looking at last season's NLS average gates, and counting out Torquay and Yeovil, it looks to me like Truro would need gates up towards 1500 to be financially competitive.  Last time Truro had a proper full season at Treyew,in 2017/18, they averaged around 460.

Like I've said before though, a good start combined with a curiosity factor about Langarth, could do wonders for numbers of paying customers. I hope that when Truro visited Hampton & Richmond last season, one or two took note of the spectator "experience" on offer there with a view to applying this at Langarth.One of the better grounds in terms of food and drink offerings (multiple bars offering a wide selection of well priced drinks, and great food ranging from traditional pies and chips, to Turkish and pizza).

35 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Saturday's visitors, Dorking, who are considered by many to be the club in this league with the largest budget, and many people's favourites to win it, had an average attendance of over 1900 in the NL last time around.

Looking at last season's NLS average gates, and counting out Torquay and Yeovil, it looks to me like Truro would need gates up towards 1500 to be financially competitive.  Last time Truro had a proper full season at Treyew,in 2017/18, they averaged around 460.

Like I've said before though, a good start combined with a curiosity factor about Langarth, could do wonders for numbers of paying customers. I hope that when Truro visited Hampton & Richmond last season, one or two took note of the spectator "experience" on offer there with a view to applying this at Langarth.One of the better grounds in terms of food and drink offerings (multiple bars offering a wide selection of well priced drinks, and great food ranging from traditional pies and chips, to Turkish and pizza).

Is there much going on with regards to community engagement outside of a heightened social media presence?

8 hours ago, St Darren said:

I can’t see the club ever being sustainable at that level without the money of an individual. The costs of running the club must be extremely high!  At the moment everything is new so people will want to be part of it but once it’s been there for a year or 2 the interest will dwindle and the money will start to dry up. 

Mr Masters says the plan is EFL in 5 years, I would love to see the business plan for that!  I reckon you’d be looking at around £3m - £4m in players wages alone to get there over that time.  Plus the ground improvement costs. 

That has to be completely unrealistic . The resources and revenue needed to get to league football would be ridiculous 

taunton had that dream and got them self in all sorts of trouble. That was a club getting huge gates.  A spell of bad weather and no income kills clubs at that level unless you have a millionaire owner with very deep pockets. 
I’m also not sure where the gates will come from. Argyle has a massive Cornish following and Falmouth seem to bring in a fair crowd. It will be a big mission to fill that new ground every week. Might have to rely on argyle being away and possible picking up the Cornish contingent 

21 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

That has to be completely unrealistic . The resources and revenue needed to get to league football would be ridiculous 

taunton had that dream and got them self in all sorts of trouble. That was a club getting huge gates.  A spell of bad weather and no income kills clubs at that level unless you have a millionaire owner with very deep pockets. 
I’m also not sure where the gates will come from. Argyle has a massive Cornish following and Falmouth seem to bring in a fair crowd. It will be a big mission to fill that new ground every week. Might have to rely on argyle being away and possible picking up the Cornish contingent 

Peter Masters stating in a piece on the BBC website about City's homecoming that he believes the cost of staying competitive in the NLS is £40-£50,000 a month. Reading that, you start to understand why Taunton imploded financially last season. 

It was widely rumoured that Chesterfield won last season's NL on a playing budget of around £125k a month, with a couple of players on contracts worth £5 per week.  For City to reach the EFL in 5 years would take some serious external backing.

2 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Peter Masters stating in a piece on the BBC website about City's homecoming that he believes the cost of staying competitive in the NLS is £40-£50,000 a month. Reading that, you start to understand why Taunton imploded financially last season. 

It was widely rumoured that Chesterfield won last season's NL on a playing budget of around £125k a month, with a couple of players on contracts worth £5 per week.  For City to reach the EFL in 5 years would take some serious external backing.

Most clubs could pay players £5 a week.🤣

27 minutes ago, Graham Martin said:

24yr old Jaze Kabia. Irish man who has signed a 12 month contract

He has experience of playing in the Scottish Premiership. 

Good player on FM20... 

Hope that game is even remotely close to real life!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Craze said:

Are we done then?

Do you think that there might be one or two departures? I know that ideally you need to carry a squad of 18-20 to cope with the rigours of an NLS season, but wonder if some players will be looking elsewhere if they don't make the matchday 16 (are Truro in a position as well where they want to pay for the ones that aren't featuring at all).

15 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Do you think that there might be one or two departures? I know that ideally you need to carry a squad of 18-20 to cope with the rigours of an NLS season, but wonder if some players will be looking elsewhere if they don't make the matchday 16 (are Truro in a position as well where they want to pay for the ones that aren't featuring at all).

Still a lot of games for a small squad to get through, particularly if we give the cups a go (something PW, never really did)

1 hour ago, Craze said:

Still a lot of games for a small squad to get through, particularly if we give the cups a go (something PW, never really did)

Good point, Paul Wotton always seemed to regard the FA Cup and Trophy as distractions (understandable given the scant resources he had) . The owners would no doubt quite like a glamorous FA Cup tie at Langarth to further enthuse supporters. Maidstone last season showed what is possible.

On 20/08/2024 at 13:12, Ian Pethick said:

Good point, Paul Wotton always seemed to regard the FA Cup and Trophy as distractions (understandable given the scant resources he had) . The owners would no doubt quite like a glamorous FA Cup tie at Langarth to further enthuse supporters. Maidstone last season showed what is possible.

Yes, and using hard cold logic, Maidstone beat Ipswich who got promoted to the premier league, and we dismantled Maidstone, which can only lead  to one conclusion, we must be one of the preseason favourites for the FA Cup

On 19/08/2024 at 20:10, Ian Pethick said:

You better start believing! :)