Cornwall Football Forum

Ben Potter has left Bude town along with the Chairwoman Emma Down. 
Bens twitter post states their ambitions no longer match, while Budes facebook post suggests a focus on local talent. 

Will be interesting to see what’s next for Bude. Did they go all out last season to be part of the restructure only for that to  fail to materialise? Are they hoping to stabilise at SWPL  level with local talent. 

watch this space. 

I like Ben, he was a very decent bloke who would alway acknowledge you. He was building a decent team towards the end of the season. I wish him all the best in his next job. 

Was it really a Decent  team ?  Terrible discipline they never seem to learn from and A lot players coming and going or helping out at vast expense  and maybe the club felt the need to move away from that reputation. Good luck too them. 

20 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Was it really a Decent  team ?  Terrible discipline they never seem to learn from and A lot players coming and going or helping out at vast expense  and maybe the club felt the need to move away from that reputation. Good luck too them. 

Yeah it was the last couple of months. They played decent football on the ground, trying to pass through teams. The discipline was much improved. They held their own in every match the last couple of months of the season. 
They had already moved away from the players helping out. I, most likely like you have no idea if they broke the bank or not using these players. But if they did, someone was prepared to pay for the privilege. It’s now looking likely the focus will be more on local lads. 
That said, I have absolutely not the first clue what the plans are going forward. 

Best progress was off the pitch in getting floodlights. 

On the pitch, some great moments last season but mainly full of ill-discipline and many random players this season which is not sustainable.

Hearing Taunton Town talks for Potter …

3 hours ago, Blues1995 said:

On the pitch, some great moments last season but mainly full of ill-discipline and many random players this season which is not sustainable.

For as long I can remember Bude have always had an unhealthy obsession with berating officials , Bude have got to were they wanted to be, and Ben can move on with a position that matches his ambition and hopefully works in better faith then what Bude did

10 hours ago, justanopinion said:

Didn't Bude (Manager Ben Potter) get found guilty of naming and playing a player under a false name? Why would a club wish to be associated with someone that basically cheats?

Is that a question or a statement? If it’s a statement, then you surely know the answer? Please share. 

8 hours ago, The truth said:

For as long I can remember Bude have always had an unhealthy obsession with berating officials , Bude have got to were they wanted to be, and Ben can move on with a position that matches his ambition and hopefully works in better faith then what Bude did

I’ve been watching football for just over 50 years now. I have yet to watch a team that doesn’t berate the officials. Not quite sure what point your trying to score but it just comes across as having a dig for the sake of having a dig. 

11 hours ago, Blues1995 said:

Yes not having a settled team can’t really help any manager get the best from his team. That of course was partly due to so many red cards. The various random players this season was more driven out of necessity (to cover the players banned). And of course as is well documented in here by the many resident financial experts, Bude having a budget similar to Wrexhams was never going to be sustainable 😉

3 hours ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

Is that a question or a statement? If it’s a statement, then you surely know the answer? Please share. 

I’ve been watching football for just over 50 years now. I have yet to watch a team that doesn’t berate the officials. Not quite sure what point your trying to score but it just comes across as having a dig for the sake of having a dig. 

Yes not having a settled team can’t really help any manager get the best from his team. That of course was partly due to so many red cards. The various random players this season was more driven out of necessity (to cover the players banned). And of course as is well documented in here by the many resident financial experts, Bude having a budget similar to Wrexhams was never going to be sustainable 😉

They tried previously to get Ben potter in they went in to this with there eyes open , Bude haven’t covered themselves in glory with the way they’ve done this which is crap because this season should be all about hacketts reserves as they’ve done absolutely brilliant this season , bude’s problems doesn’t stop with Ben potter so hopefully they look at themselves and move forwards with the correct choices 

48 minutes ago, The truth said:

They tried previously to get Ben potter in they went in to this with there eyes open , Bude haven’t covered themselves in glory with the way they’ve done this which is crap because this season should be all about hacketts reserves as they’ve done absolutely brilliant this season , bude’s problems doesn’t stop with Ben potter so hopefully they look at themselves and move forwards with the correct choices 

I’ll take your word for that. 
Agree re the reserves. Absolutely flying this season. I’m guessing the gap between them and the first team will be decent but it would be nice to think 2 or 3 can make the step up into the firsts next season. 

Would I also be correct in thinking that next seasons squad will be built around the new managers contact list? 

38 minutes ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

I’ll take your word for that. 
Agree re the reserves. Absolutely flying this season. I’m guessing the gap between them and the first team will be decent but it would be nice to think 2 or 3 can make the step up into the firsts next season. 

Would I also be correct in thinking that next seasons squad will be built around the new managers contact list? 

I expect that will probably happen, sometimes it is who you know and not what you know that’s up and down the pyramid not just local 

1 hour ago, cornish leg end said:

It’s come back to bite them in the ass! Why would local players now want to play for them when they pushed them away before to spend way to much money and bring players in that were there for the money and not the shirt! 

Same thing happened to Bodmin a few years ago. 

On 12/05/2024 at 05:57, cornish leg end said:

It’s come back to bite them in the ass! Why would local players now want to play for them when they pushed them away before to spend way to much money and bring players in that were there for the money and not the shirt! 

A lot of local players that were playing higher came back the last few seasons , unavailability and lack of discipline created a want to fill the void with people of that standard with more reliability, the players of the club already were playing for a second team that we’re doing brilliant and still are , I’ll be concerned on who they let in the club like I said before the management side isn’t the first thing the committee need to address , Shame as I always thought Bude were a sleeping giant 

On 14/05/2024 at 16:28, Wetsuit said:

Won their last 3 games which is the only positive from this season.  Can only hope for mid table at very best next year  what’s the solution ?   Hope youngsters come through or chuck a load of cash at it.   

The former option working pretty well for Cally and Lanson. Local youngsters also builds links with the local community in a way a team of 'imports' won't! Good luck in turning things around. 

Bude announce the new management team. The below is taken from their Facebook post. 

I’d be interested in peoples thoughts

Here is the Bude Town Football Club First Team Management for the 2024/25 season.

New manager Steve Hackett has stepped up from his successful reign as Bude Reserve Team manager and brought in Liam Dart as Assistant Manager. Steve helped transform the Reserves over the last two seasons with some exciting signings in his tenure and built a hard-working, free flowing, attacking side that finished unbeaten in the league as Champions this season and won the Hutchings Cup two seasons in a row. 

Liam has a wealth of experience in the South West Peninsula League from his playing and managing time with Callington, Holsworthy and Torrington. He has a real pedigree with his coaching qualifications and immense knowledge of the game. He will be a huge asset to the club and we are delighted to have him on board.

Karl Tweitman has stepped up as Fitness Coach with his fantastic training sessions, motivation and passion for the game and Rob Francis completes the back room team as Head Coach. Rob played for Falmouth, Bideford and Truro in his time and brings a wealth of experience, high standards, knowledge and passion to push the club forward this campaign on and off the pitch.

Over the upcoming weeks the management will be looking to recruit exciting, young, local players into the already excellent group that we already have within the club and build the foundations in what is a new direction for the football club. There is a renewed energy right now and we are looking forward to seeing where the season takes us and a bright future.

One of the main aims is to bring the surrounding community to the football club which offers football to 100’s of boys and girls in the youth teams right the way up to the Reserve Team, First Team, Ladies Team and the Veterans Team. If any local businesses would like to sponsor or offer any help, we would love to hear from you. 

#seasiders

3 minutes ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

Bude announce the new management team. The below is taken from their Facebook post. 

I’d be interested in peoples thoughts

Here is the Bude Town Football Club First Team Management for the 2024/25 season.

New manager Steve Hackett has stepped up from his successful reign as Bude Reserve Team manager and brought in Liam Dart as Assistant Manager. Steve helped transform the Reserves over the last two seasons with some exciting signings in his tenure and built a hard-working, free flowing, attacking side that finished unbeaten in the league as Champions this season and won the Hutchings Cup two seasons in a row. 

Liam has a wealth of experience in the South West Peninsula League from his playing and managing time with Callington, Holsworthy and Torrington. He has a real pedigree with his coaching qualifications and immense knowledge of the game. He will be a huge asset to the club and we are delighted to have him on board.

Karl Tweitman has stepped up as Fitness Coach with his fantastic training sessions, motivation and passion for the game and Rob Francis completes the back room team as Head Coach. Rob played for Falmouth, Bideford and Truro in his time and brings a wealth of experience, high standards, knowledge and passion to push the club forward this campaign on and off the pitch.

Over the upcoming weeks the management will be looking to recruit exciting, young, local players into the already excellent group that we already have within the club and build the foundations in what is a new direction for the football club. There is a renewed energy right now and we are looking forward to seeing where the season takes us and a bright future.

One of the main aims is to bring the surrounding community to the football club which offers football to 100’s of boys and girls in the youth teams right the way up to the Reserve Team, First Team, Ladies Team and the Veterans Team. If any local businesses would like to sponsor or offer any help, we would love to hear from you. 

#seasiders

Liam dart being involved is absolutely brilliant very knowledgeable and Steve and Liam are two cracking people, a few petty comments on the fb post by Lloyd but none the less a great opportunity for them now they have the ground improvements they craved 

A lot to do at the ground still though with grandstand still not in , can mainly see it being the reserves stepping up as the first team big step up for them but time will tell ,

the reality is we're can you get a full side of local  players which is good enough for that standard in which they clearly want ,

especially with Bude so close to the likes of Holsworthy and camelford there all scrapping over the players already can see it being a real struggle as don't think they realise how big of a step up st pirans div3 is to swp league hopefully im wrong !!!

Really looking forward to the challenge ahead this season with Bude First Team. Over the last 2/3 seasons we really developed our Reserve team and recruited players really well along the way and a lot of those lads are ready to play at a higher level and were being looked at by teams in the SWPL. We controlled the controllables really well and the players excelled - same thing will apply at the new level. By getting Liam Dart in, we feel that his experience, motivation, contacts and knowledge of local football was a no-brainer. He has been out the game for a little while, I have known him a long time and feel he adds huge value to the re-build. We know that it is going to take time and patience to build and bring the right players in but the club understands that and are all for a shake up and change of direction. Having Rob Francis and Karl Tweitman involved in the setup again is huge, their love for the game and standards they set will be crucial. Looking forward to meeting a few of you this season along the way.

Steve

17 hours ago, Wetsuit said:

Dobwalls have a few youngsters in their squad and it worked for them this season   Lanson Cally done well also.       Maybe next season😂

Yes, great models for Bude to follow. Dobwalls differ slightly to Lanson and Cally though in that they aren't local lads. Ben Washam has done a great job in pulling together a talented group of youngsters, but most of them are Plymouth based. Many of them played for Adam Castlehouse when he ran Parkway under 18's.

1 hour ago, Seasider 11 said:

Really looking forward to the challenge ahead this season with Bude First Team. Over the last 2/3 seasons we really developed our Reserve team and recruited players really well along the way and a lot of those lads are ready to play at a higher level and were being looked at by teams in the SWPL. We controlled the controllables really well and the players excelled - same thing will apply at the new level. By getting Liam Dart in, we feel that his experience, motivation, contacts and knowledge of local football was a no-brainer. He has been out the game for a little while, I have known him a long time and feel he adds huge value to the re-build. We know that it is going to take time and patience to build and bring the right players in but the club understands that and are all for a shake up and change of direction. Having Rob Francis and Karl Tweitman involved in the setup again is huge, their love for the game and standards they set will be crucial. Looking forward to meeting a few of you this season along the way.

Steve

Looking forward to watching the team evolve next season. If the performance of the reserves is anything to go by, it’ll be an excellent watch. Hopefully the gap isn’t too large between 1st and 2nd team and we see a few make the step up. 
It goes without saying that discipline needs to improve and of course we can now hopefully put to bed the Bude ‘money bags’ stories.
Im not quite sure what Bude have done to some on here but they don’t half get triggered when Bude get a yellow or Red card and the faux rage when they played a player from a higher level. Oh my word, you think they had just petitioned for Cream first 😆

Anyway, good luck. Harrison and I will be along more times than not to watch the mighty Seasiders 👊🏻

16 minutes ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

Looking forward to watching the team evolve next season. If the performance of the reserves is anything to go by, it’ll be an excellent watch. Hopefully the gap isn’t too large between 1st and 2nd team and we see a few make the step up. 
It goes without saying that discipline needs to improve and of course we can now hopefully put to bed the Bude ‘money bags’ stories.
Im not quite sure what Bude have done to some on here but they don’t half get triggered when Bude get a yellow or Red card and the faux rage when they played a player from a higher level. Oh my word, you think they had just petitioned for Cream first 😆

Anyway, good luck. Harrison and I will be along more times than not to watch the mighty Seasiders 👊🏻

Thanks for the regular updates Scott, next year will certainly be interesting and a new way forward for the club.

I wouldn't worry about the moneybags tag, according to a lot on the forum, every club has money but their own. Also most clubs have historically played a player from a  higher level but there can always be a reason for it when it's their own. As for disciplinary, that is for the club to sort out but hopefully the current reserves will learn from the first team.

It's a Cornish club and I just wish you the best for the future.

4 hours ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

Really looking forward to meeting you (and Harrison!) at the games, we really appreciate all your support! We are confident that our players will be ready and hungry for the step up to this level, some new signings will be needed to bolster the group and a shortlist has been drawn up for potential targets. There is a lot of hard work going into the rebuild on and off the pitch and as a club, we are really excited to get going with this. We will see you soon!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Luke Gibbons said:

Barnstaple by all accounts; could be wrong but I believe Ben and Richard Washburn will be working together.

Saw some worrying tweets recently from a Barnstaple fan group regarding perceived lack of numbers and no news coming out of the camp.  Could be a tough season for them.

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Saw some worrying tweets recently from a Barnstaple fan group regarding perceived lack of numbers and no news coming out of the camp.  Could be a tough season for them.

They might need to get on to Harry Potter by the sound of things