Cornwall Football Forum

Ashley Waters stepping down at Penzance!

taking a break to recharge the batteries”

Sorry to have just read this announced by Penzance AFC.

i thought the club was going in the right direction under Ashley’s management.

But with a few other managers calling it a day, across the football levels in the county, do we expect too much from them at this level?

Some good news however coming out of Penzance with Mark Vercesi taking over as First Team manager. 

A bit of a shock this one, Ashley has done a great job in getting Penzance “going” again. Obviously I have a huge soft spot for the club having had two spells managing there myself quite a few years ago. The times I have watched them this year I could see real progress from what is a totally local squad. 
I don’t know the real reasons behind this, but I can only say that Ash can hold his head high & I’m sure if he wants to could pop up somewhere else.     Cheesy has taken the reins and this is his hometown club & we all know that if he manages like he played the Magpies are going places. I just hope he’s in it for the long haul & doesn’t walk away after a season or two, as I personally think Ash would’ve stayed for a long time. That great old club has seen too many slack times over the years, I just hope it goes from strength to strength now. Penzance had some fantastic support back in my day, and Ashley has got a good spirit going on the field and within the club. The times I have been there recently it has felt a happy club, and I hope that continues. Mark will undoubtedly take the club forward, just hope he doesn’t get lured by clubs further up the ladder, which could see an exodus that then puts Penzance back to square one. 

On 26/05/2024 at 22:58, Dave Deacon said:

taking a break to recharge the batteries”

Sorry to have just read this announced by Penzance AFC.

i thought the club was going in the right direction under Ashley’s management.

But with a few other managers calling it a day, across the football levels in the county, do we expect too much from them at this level?

Some good news however coming out of Penzance with Mark Vercesi taking over as First Team manager. 

Managing a non league side is now pretty much a 7 day a week/52 weeks of the year thing, with the level of scrutiny (and criticism)  they receive from many directions at unprecedented levels. As well as this, they have to also fit a family life  and day job in somewhere. No wonder people walk away.

Remember a few years Torpoint's ECPL side manager talked on the CS Podcast about how even running a side at that level felt like a full time job.