Cornwall Football Forum

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Fair & good point.  Think you maybe right with the East Cornwall/English players coming in.

Would also be interesting how the only "local" lad Harris Jewell gets on!  to be perfectly honest, id like to see him follow Mr Cornish to Bickland Park.

JW

Agree with you there.  Long thought he would look good in black and amber.

Seems to have gone quiet again at parkway. 
still no goal keeper announcement still no striker announced . And still short by at least 7-8 players.  
Only a couple weeks till the first pre season friendly on the 9th July 

Was expecting a lot more through the door by now but have heard it may not be the new manager in charge of recruitment 

15 hours ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Interesting thought, to replace who?

Its not always about replacement, would be a great addition to the squad as a whole.

Potential for a formation change maybe, back three with wing backs?

JW

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Its not always about replacement, would be a great addition to the squad as a whole.

Potential for a formation change maybe, back three with wing backs?

JW

Now that's an interesting thought, three centre backs, as a squad player makes no sense, if you play two that move makes no sense, as a three a different argument.

Falmouth last year had in my mind the best back four I saw as a unit all season, can't see why Harrison would want to make that move to join a squad, whilst Cornish makes perfect sense, considering Helston have brought in three forwards he could be the one to miss out again.

1 hour ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Now that's an interesting thought, three centre backs, as a squad player makes no sense, if you play two that move makes no sense, as a three a different argument.

Falmouth last year had in my mind the best back four I saw as a unit all season, can't see why Harrison would want to make that move to join a squad, whilst Cornish makes perfect sense, considering Helston have brought in three forwards he could be the one to miss out again.

Long, tough season in the Southern League. Add in the FA Cup, Trophy and the Senior Cup, and you could have around 50 matches to play. You need a strong squad and cover for all positions to be able to sustain a challenge on all fronts. Does need a decent manager to keep those that aren't playing happy, which Andy Westgarth seemed to be able to do last time around.

17 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Long, tough season in the Southern League. Add in the FA Cup, Trophy and the Senior Cup, and you could have around 50 matches to play. You need a strong squad and cover for all positions to be able to sustain a challenge on all fronts. Does need a decent manager to keep those that aren't playing happy, which Andy Westgarth seemed to be able to do last time around.

Heard managers say they need squads if at least 18-20 to compete

a lot of players to keep happy.  easier for the likes of Torquay etc ti do it. Not sure travelling all over the country to sit on a bench week in week out appeals to many youngsters. 

26 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Not disputing any of that Ian, my point still is, why would you want to go from being a first team regular to a bench warmer to make up squad numbers.

1 hour ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Not disputing any of that Ian, my point still is, why would you want to go from being a first team regular to a bench warmer to make up squad numbers.

He warmed the bench a few times for Helston last season but at least he wouldn't have to travel to Saltash twice a week to train!  Harrison is a quality player so would have thought he would start more times than not.

3 hours ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Not being specific to either Falmouth or the player here, but it's usually the side being successful and in the hunt for trophies or, dare I say it,  money that keeps someone happy to sit on the bench.

7 hours ago, The Town Man said:

He warmed the bench a few times for Helston last season but at least he wouldn't have to travel to Saltash twice a week to train!  Harrison is a quality player so would have thought he would start more times than not.

He warmed the bench a couple of times as he was coming back or just recovering from injury, otherwise was a regular starter.

Unless you switch to three centre backs, my belief has always been Falmouth's back four were the best in the league as a defensive unit, so if you think he's going to play, who do you in your view want him to replace? I'm finding it fascinating the debate over him, especially as I'd find it hard to fit him into such a good defensive unit and I'm a big admirer of him as a player anyway.

8 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

After announcing the signings of Ryan Brett and Taylor Scarff last week, it seems to have gone very quiet at Parkway again. Any decent rumours knocking around?

None at all. Still no keeper. No striker all very silent. Team back training as well 

Seems pretty quiet at a number of teams but maybe that is the most intelligent approach, as no signing is really confirmed until July when registration commences. (Unless a player signs a contract I presume)

All should become clear in early July.

9 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Seems pretty quiet at a number of teams but maybe that is the most intelligent approach, as no signing is really confirmed until July when registration commences. (Unless a player signs a contract I presume)

All should become clear in early July.

Avoids a case of the "Callum Martindale Syndrome" as well. This is a medical term for when a player is "announced" by a club, then gets "announced" by another soon after.

Rob Farkins is the latest player to fall victim to this.😁

7 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Avoids a case of the "Callum Martindale Syndrome" as well. This is a medical term for when a player is "announced" by a club, then gets "announced" by another soon after.

Rob Farkins is the latest player to fall victim to this.😁

Is it a bit like back in the good old days of the Sunday Independent pre-season special when it was how many photos can a player appear in? 

12 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Parkway have had a kit launch . Still not enough  players to wear it yet mind.  But coke on amateur clubs having a kit launch on X. 😂 what all that about hardly selling thousands to the people of Plymouth. Just find it all very cringeworthy. 

The modern world of non league football. Season tickets to sell, replica kits to shift. Sponsors to keep happy and money needs to be made 

Sure there's plenty going on behind the scenes regarding incoming players at Parkway. Gather they've been back in pre season work for other a week now, so would think there will be plenty of trialists getting looked at. In my opinion, I would rather this more low key approach from new boss Chris McPhee if it resulted in getting the right players in (last season's transfer activity felt like getting bodies through the door to fill the squad, only 1 stayed beyond Christmas). First PSF is at Exmouth on the 9th July, this will be the chance for supporters to see what the post Lee Hobbs work in progress looks like.

2 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

The modern world of non league football. Season tickets to sell, replica kits to shift. Sponsors to keep happy and money needs to be made 

Sure there's plenty going on behind the scenes regarding incoming players at Parkway. Gather they've been back in pre season work for other a week now, so would think there will be plenty of trialists getting looked at. In my opinion, I would rather this more low key approach from new boss Chris McPhee if it resulted in getting the right players in (last season's transfer activity felt like getting bodies through the door to fill the squad, only 1 stayed beyond Christmas). First PSF is at Exmouth on the 9th July, this will be the chance for supporters to see what the post Lee Hobbs work in progress looks like.

Week or so out from the first game.  Still no mention of a keeper a striker or anybody really  a good 8 players short going on departures  . 

I get the the low key approach  but if your hoping to sell season tickets at least let supporters know what sort of team we have built

can’t think I ever seen a new manager come in and not stamp his mark on team by bringing in players early.  (Brett and scarf where not the managers signings by the way. )

Joe might be injured perhaps still recovering from injury at back end of last season. Noticeably absent from the retained list the club put out recently. If down to injury would be nice to be told.

Also missing from retained list is Ben Cross. Outstanding defender Ben and would be a big loss IMHO. If he has decided to move on, obviously his right of course but surely deserves a “goodbye and good luck” message from the club he has served for many years. Hopefully still mulling over options and will be seen soon.