Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City's new crest and a change of nickname

Head of Media & Communications, Truro City Football Club.

Truro City can reveal a new and updated crest ahead of club’s return to Cornwall in a new playing facility for the 2024-25 season.

Subtle changes have been made to the branding which the club have used for the past six years.

Truro Cathedral is now rendered in black on a white background with the St Piran’s flag sitting below the city’s most prominent landmark.

The main aesthetic features of the crest are no longer housed within a shield and they are given greater prominence than seen previously.

The white tiger will no longer feature on any club crest or associated branding and this will also see Truro City drop the White Tigers moniker, given its lack of historical connections with the club and the Duchy as a whole.

Truro will readopt its original nickname of the Tinners whilst also using City, to reflect the club’s status as Cornwall’s only city club.

The change of nickname will be reflected across all the club’s written material with immediate effect.

This new crest is the first of many exciting announcements ahead of Football Coming Home, with season tickets for next season going on sale this Friday, June 7.

image.png

Truro just need to represent themselves, they don’t represent Truro.  Embrace the fact that they’re the only City in Cornwall rather than trying to link to any Cornish Heritage. 

The club cut ties with Cornwall a few years ago!!

I think the badge looks great.  With the new ground and move back to Kernow, its shows intent and desire to reconnect with the area and bring in local fans that have been lost since the move out of the City & County.

I wasn't aware the "old" nickname was the Tinners...but also wasn't aware you could change your own... so from now on going forward, you can call me "Night Hawk" 🤣

JW (NH)

56 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Have Truro got a manager in yet ? Have I missed it ? Seem bizarre now in June and still no one in there. 

I am lead to believe someone has been appointed last week/over the weekend, and a announcement will be made to Joe Public this week by "The Tinners"

JW (NH)

4 hours ago, TruroPostie said:

Great new badge, fantastic nickname (St Just can do one by the way - minor pub team ). Brilliant times ahead. EFL within 6 years.

Be interesting to hear Isaac Rosenbergs opinion on your comment.

In keeping with the theme of ' connecting with the County ' maybe Steve Curnow should change his name to Steve Kernow !

On a serious note good to see the club badge/crest looking more like it used to and going back to play in traditional Red and Black stripes.

The more they can do to distance themselves from anything to do with the Heaney years the better,good luck for the season.

' Up The Town '

1 hour ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

The more they can do to distance themselves from anything to do with the Heaney years the better,good luck for the season.

Although without “the Heaney years” City probably wouldn’t today be a National League South side! 

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Official announcement later this week I understand

Sounds about right, especially as ST prices are to be announced on Friday

8 hours ago, TruroPostie said:

Great new badge, fantastic nickname (St Just can do one by the way - minor pub team ). Brilliant times ahead. EFL within 6 years.

C’mon no need for the arrogant ‘pub team’ jibe. Good luck to both teams, City & St Day, in their new adventures next season!

8 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Would suggest that if Truro City want to adopt a nickname that truly represents Cornwall's industrial present and future, they call themselves the "second home owners." Their logo could be a holiday cottage or Air BnB.

(Think I had better duck for cover immediately after posting this...😬).

The Emnets! That’ll get plenty of publicity!

22 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Although without “the Heaney years” City probably wouldn’t today be a National League South side! 

I was referring to the off-field financial mess,obviously the money attracted a higher standard of player and that's what got them to the heights of today.Was hoping that didn't need to be explained but hey-ho.

They are clearly erasing any links to that era by changing the kit,dropping the stupid nickname and changing the badge/crest and a return to Cornwall is the ideal time to do it.

' Up The Town '

I've been told by a reliable source that John Askey will be the new Truro City manager.  Huge amount of experience at Macclesfield, Shrewsbury, Port Vale and Hartlepool. Official announcement tomorrow unless there is a late problem with the contract .

50 minutes ago, TruroPostie said:

I've been told by a reliable source that John Askey will be the new Truro City manager.  Huge amount of experience at Macclesfield, Shrewsbury, Port Vale and Hartlepool. Official announcement tomorrow unless there is a late problem with the contract .

Tell me what else you know about the man?

1 hour ago, TruroPostie said:

Today and very soon! 👍

21 minutes ago, TruroPostie said:

Are you trying to be funny ?

No.  Just asking what else you know apart from a list of clubs from Wiki?

Whats his style of play like?  Does he like to develop youngsters?

31 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Link to a thread about his departure from York City in 2022. Seemed quite popular with the fans and they weren't happy with his sacking, appears that he fell out with the incoming chair and owners.

https://yorkmix.com/york-city-manager-john-askey-sacked/

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Oh I see, apologies. I remember him as a player with Macc, must say I don’t know much about his managerial style. 

1 hour ago, TruroPostie said:

Oh I see, apologies. I remember him as a player with Macc, must say I don’t know much about his managerial style. 

Best of luck to him.  He’ll need to use his persuasive powers or owners deep pockets in order to bolster the squad with quality players.  Attracting players down to Truro will have its challenges. 

On 04/06/2024 at 15:51, St Darren said:

Truro just need to represent themselves, https://eldfall-chronicles.com/ they don’t represent Truro.  Embrace the fact that they’re the only City in Cornwall rather than trying to link to any Cornish Heritage.  https://sharpedgeshop.com/collections/bunka-knives-multi-purpose

The club cut ties with Cornwall a few years ago!!

Change can be challenging

On 03/06/2024 at 21:03, Devils@Dusk said:

And?

Truro were the Tinners years ago. 

No club has the monopoly on a nickname. Plus, it doesn't really matter. They're never going to play each other.

Last time we played you but one, we stuffed you 2-1 in the Durning Lawrence Charity Cup. Malcolm Jones scored twice for us and Jumbo Is it e for you. You were in your proper red and black kit then, before your moneymen ruined Cornish football (Nd nearly destroyed your club). Be. Goldring scored the only voals in your very lucky Senior Cup win over us a few years back, when Les Gilbert was managing you. Can't you find a nickname of your own ? Plenty of tin in St Just, did all in Truro. Chacewater and Twelveheads are not Truro. Sheer arrogance. 

Bet you're English, not Cornish. Bear in mind that most of the real Cornish would prefer you to play in Gloucester and get relegated. That's where most of your players and management probably come from anyway.

Don't on people on the way up your ladder. They will be waiting for you when you slide back down

Come on you REAL TINNERS from St JUST! Green snd Black forever !

4 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Last time we played you but one, we stuffed you 2-1 in the Durning Lawrence Charity Cup. Malcolm Jones scored twice for us and Jumbo Is it e for you. You were in your proper red and black kit then, before your moneymen ruined Cornish football (Nd nearly destroyed your club). Be. Goldring scored the only voals in your very lucky Senior Cup win over us a few years back, when Les Gilbert was managing you. Can't you find a nickname of your own ? Plenty of tin in St Just, did all in Truro. Chacewater and Twelveheads are not Truro. Sheer arrogance. 

Bet you're English, not Cornish. Bear in mind that most of the real Cornish would prefer you to play in Gloucester and get relegated. That's where most of your players and management probably come from anyway.

Don't piss on people on the way up your ladder. They will be waiting for you when you slide back down

Come on you REAL TINNERS from St JUST! Green snd Black forever !

Too much sun?

Its time to get behind one Cornish team, like they do in Norfolk/Norwich. I completely understand local rivalries, but Truro's success could also be good for other teams. There could/should be a win/win - and I think to a certain degree thats already showing unless its a coincidence that a number of other Cornish sides are making strong progress/competing at their highest ever level.

4 minutes ago, Craze said:

Its time to get behind one Cornish team, like they do in Norfolk/Norwich. I completely understand local rivalries, but Truro's success could also be good for other teams. There could/should be a win/win - and I think to a certain degree thats already showing unless its a coincidence that a number of other Cornish sides are making strong progress/competing at their highest ever level.

I think there’s a ceiling for the clubs though especially with the talent pool there currently is in Cornwall. 

I remember Chris Thomas talking about having one ‘senior’ club in Cornwall that the good players fed into, and that was probably 30 years ago he said that. 

5 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I think there’s a ceiling for the clubs though especially with the talent pool there currently is in Cornwall. 

I remember Chris Thomas talking about having one ‘senior’ club in Cornwall that the good players fed into, and that was probably 30 years ago he said that. 

And its a sound plan, just noone has committed fully/properly to it.

The Truro fans with a brain recognise the following:

• Success has largely been bought and therefore acquired through luck - but show me any recent footballing success story that hasn't been bought...
  • The current status though has been maintained through a lot of hardwork and the good fortune has been paid back by the hard yards the faithful fans have put in travelling around the country
  • Previous owners have done virtually nothing for the clubs image with regards to growing the support nor endearing themselves to the Cornish populous
  • To even have a chance at further success and sustainable, the club needs to grow the fanbase and put a deep rooted, concerted effort into developing young players that can play at National League (and higher standard). Those that don't make it will then hopefully have the option to continue their careers in Cornwall
  • Supporting Truro City isn't going to be for everyone, and thats fine.

Fingers crossed we're moving into a golden age for Cornish football, a team operating higher up the ladder is long overdue, as is a real, and clear pathway for promising youngsters to go and make a successful career for themselves either at home or elsewhere in the pyramid.

6 hours ago, Craze said:

Completely agree with this except that the club should be Falmouth! Already the best-supported team in the county. Best ground. Most history and only two levels behind Truro now with a much more sustainable model. 

(Accept that there may be some bias here! In reality, no one with much integrity is going to put aside long-held loyalty to support any team other than their own and believing any different is pie in the sky. Best bet is to get the PR spot-on and attract new young fans with no previous history of supporting any other Cornish club, but suspect that will be a long process. Don't know how the club will support itself in the mean-time)

By the way, don't really think that the current success of the other Cornish teams has anything to do with Truro City, other than that they got there first. The difference being that Truro ended up sacrificing their ground and almost their whole existence to get to the level they are at now. Still don't see how they can remain there without financing from their owners and still don't understand why the owners continue to plough the money in. What do they get out of it?

All that being said, wish Truro well and hope they find a way to survive and succeed.