Cornwall Football Forum

SENIOR CUP RULE CHANGE FOR 2024-25

From the Cornwall FA:-

SENIOR CUP RULE CHANGE FOR 2024-25 🏆📜

Following a review of the County Cup rules which has recently concluded, there has been a significant change to the Senior Cup for 2024-25 season.  From the commencement of next season, the first teams of clubs competing at Step 4 and below in the NLS will be able to compete in this competition, with the reserve sides of clubs at Step 3 and above being able to enter, providing they are at Step 6. This is an historic change to the Senior Cup and reflects the changing face of football across our County as our clubs continue to enjoy success and we sincerely hope that it will be well received across the football community.

“I'm delighted that agreement has been reached to amend the Senior Cup rules for next season to enable the likes of Mousehole FC, Helston Athletic and Falmouth Town to compete.  Cornish football is undoubtedly on a high and it's only fair and reasonable to adjust our competition rules as the football landscape changes. As our premier competition it needs to include the best sides whilst at the same time bearing in mind the demands that playing at the higher levels bring as well as the rules that restrict the dates on which they can play.  These changes do that, and I look forward to another highly competitive Senior Cup next season” - Steve Carpenter, Chair of Competitions

“Cornwall FA are very aware of just how special the Senior Cup is to our teams in Cornwall and I have had many conversations with club officials this season wanting a change to the current rules and I am delighted that we are now able to include those teams at Step 4.  It’s an exciting prospect and challenge for those clubs who are eligible to play in the Senior Cup next season and we look forward to another exciting and successful season for our Cornish clubs” – Claire Summers-Evans, Competition Administrator

Well done Cornwall FA 👏🏼👍️.   The news almost everyone wanted I think 🤔👍🏆 No one can say the competition is devalued etc etc now. St.Austell proved last season that a step 5/6 club can compete with our step 4 teams in a one off cup tie. Cornish football never been in a better place I don’t think? Well done all round 👏🏼👍

Given the Jewson Western League (and I have no doubt that Southern League will do the same) in giving clubs fixtures on Easter Monday (last day of the season this year for Step 5) - do we revisit the final being on Easter Monday? Do we look at May Day Monday instead as was muted a few years back? 

There's some logic. Let's say Saltash and St Austell are in the play offs and have got to the final. That could mean our Easter Monday fixture comes forward to midweek before with Good Friday games (given the weather not impossible) before a cup final on a Monday??? 

May Day is outside the season, outside the play offs and still a bank holiday. And with weather normally better in May.... it has to be a thought.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Following a review of the County Cup rules which has recently concluded, there has been a significant change to the Senior Cup for 2024-25 season.  From the commencement of next season, the first teams of clubs competing at Step 4 and below in the NLS will be able to compete in this competition, with the reserve sides of clubs at Step 3 and above being able to enter, providing they are at Step 6. This is an historic change to the Senior Cup and reflects the changing face of football across our County as our clubs continue to enjoy success and we sincerely hope that it will be well received across the football community.

“I'm delighted that agreement has been reached to amend the Senior Cup rules for next season to enable the likes of Mousehole FC, Helston Athletic and Falmouth Town to compete.  Cornish football is undoubtedly on a high and it's only fair and reasonable to adjust our competition rules as the football landscape changes. As our premier competition it needs to include the best sides whilst at the same time bearing in mind the demands that playing at the higher levels bring as well as the rules that restrict the dates on which they can play.  These changes do that, and I look forward to another highly competitive Senior Cup next season” - Steve Carpenter, Chair of Competitions

“Cornwall FA are very aware of just how special the Senior Cup is to our teams in Cornwall and I have had many conversations with club officials this season wanting a change to the current rules and I am delighted that we are now able to include those teams at Step 4.  It’s an exciting prospect and challenge for those clubs who are eligible to play in the Senior Cup next season and we look forward to another exciting and successful season for our Cornish clubs” – Claire Summers-Evans, Competition Administrator

What fantastic news. Well done to the Cornwall FA on this decision. 

59 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Given the Jewson Western League (and I have no doubt that Southern League will do the same) in giving clubs fixtures on Easter Monday (last day of the season this year for Step 5) - do we revisit the final being on Easter Monday? Do we look at May Day Monday instead as was muted a few years back? 

Easter Monday is no longer the fixed date for the final.  This was agreed as part of the changes.

4 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

There's some logic. Let's say Saltash and St Austell are in the play offs and have got to the final. That could mean our Easter Monday fixture comes forward to midweek before with Good Friday games (given the weather not impossible) before a cup final on a Monday??? 

May Day is outside the season, outside the play offs and still a bank holiday. And with weather normally better in May.... it has to be a thought.

Yes, April is now a pretty congested and chaotic month as it has invariably become a  rush to get the regular season finished. Move the Senior Cup final into mid May when the leagues have finished, get it out of the way of all the ground hops, play offs and FA Vase semi finals (and hopefully) final. Restore its place as the showpiece game in the county, and the grand finale that supporters and officials from every club can attend. Only downside is that you might have a big gap between the semi final and final.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Obviously good news,hopefully this will now put an end to the ' pot-luck ' way in which byes into the second round have been chosen in recent years.

Having the Step 4 & 5 teams straight into the second round gives them one less game to play (as mentioned above) and also an incentive for the first round match winners to play a 'big' team.It works in the FA Cup and as mentioned above " another highly competitive Senior Cup" and would "continue to reflect the changing face of football across our county as our clubs continue to enjoy success ".

' Up The Town '

10 hours ago, baldy said:

I see no mention of byes.

Agree with you on that Baldy 👍 

11 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

,hopefully this will now put an end to the ' pot-luck ' way in which byes into the second round have been chosen in recent years.

How else can you do it if an uneven number of teams?

1 hour ago, FootballChat said:

Why not involve the 1st team from all Cornish sides.

Get Truro playing in it!

If Truro don't take it seriously (as many other teams from higher levels that enter don't) then they would just play their reserve side. So it makes sense to just let them enter their reserve team. 

Side note, for Mousehole Development, and Falmouth Reserve sides, if they move up to SWPL does that then stop them from entering any of the county competitions? 

49 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:
11 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

,hopefully this will now put an end to the ' pot-luck ' way in which byes into the second round have been chosen in recent years.

How else can you do it if an uneven number of teams?

You can’t but there’s no reason why it has to be the highest ranked teams as you stated.