Cornwall Football Forum

St Dennis pull out!

The SWPL have just announced regarding St Dennis :-  “We have been advised today in writing that St Dennis are withdrawing with immediate notice from Step 6
The reasons inc financial pressures as well as the departure of the previous management
The lge have advised The FA”

Have to say I’m not surprised but nevertheless its disappointing.

Shame but it not uncommon now and I expect there be more. The league is very poor standard now interest is dropping off . Next season you will see some very embarrassing results with Newquay and liskeard fighting it out to get in the western league and the rest miles off them. .
all about the western league now and what club had the deep pockets and ambition to try get there.  

Sad to hear this news. 

Until recent years they have been a competitive side. I am sure they will rebuild and come back stronger in the future.

They are not the first and I doubt they will be the last to make this decision.

In recent years the division has seen some decent size clubs leave such as ludgvan, illogan, penryn, porthleven, perranporth, foxhole, godolphin and Hayle.

This now leaves 16 teams for the new season which will no doubt make is easier for the fixture secretary?

Village clubs all over the country are finding that to continue to exist in the current economic climate.
I have no idea what financial problems St Dennis have that caused them to withdraw their team, but I do know that small village teams find it excruciatingly difficult to finance a seasons football when some players financial demands are crippling the very structure of some clubs.
Two clubs in a league in the North West withdrew from their league citing financial reasons, one of whom that had been quite successful has completely folded owing a large amount of money that will almost certainly mean them going bankrupt.
The moral of that story is to live within your means and only pay what is affordable without having to rely on sponsorship that can be withdrawn at any time.
Good Luck to St Dennis in the future if it's your wish to return to Peninsula football.

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Village clubs all over the country are finding that to continue to exist in the current economic climate.
I have no idea what financial problems St Dennis have that caused them to withdraw their team, but I do know that small village teams find it excruciatingly difficult to finance a seasons football when some players financial demands are crippling the very structure of some clubs.
Two clubs in a league in the North West withdrew from their league citing financial reasons, one of whom that had been quite successful has completely folded owing a large amount of money that will almost certainly mean them going bankrupt.
The moral of that story is to live within your means and only pay what is affordable without having to rely on sponsorship that can be withdrawn at any time.
Good Luck to St Dennis in the future if it's your wish to return to Peninsula football.

This is almost certainly a good example of bang average players getting paid silly money to finish 2nd from bottom. Then the money is withdrawn - guess what happens?! However, good luck to come back stronger and learn from mistakes.

I've just seen the Newquay twitter account where they are appealing for sponsorship, which as we are not involved in any financial aspects of football we found to be a big eye opener.
I'm not taking a pop at Newquays finances but was amazed that apart from sponsorship of a first team player of £100 ( a match presumably ) the overall sponsorship listed amounted to just shy of £34,000.
Added to that any other income through the gate or with other events etc would easily top a figure of around £50,000 in a season.
If this is indicative of the amount of money needed to asemble a competitive team in the Peninsula league and maintain a club, what chance does a small village team have of being anything other than someone to make up the numbers.

Good luck to Newquay if they can raise that amount of money, but it sends a message to the smaller clubs what is expected of them to survive at this level of the game.

6 hours ago, We Two said:

I'm not taking a pop at Newquays finances but was amazed that apart from sponsorship of a first team player of £100 ( a match presumably )

I read it as £100 for the season! Perhaps anyone connected with the club can clarify for us please.

WE TWO

You have the wrong sums it is £100 per player per year, every body at the club is working their socks off to provide

a great club and improved facilities for all the players and supporters.

50 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

WE TWO

You have the wrong sums it is £100 per player per year, every body at the club is working their socks off to provide

a great club and improved facilities for all the players and supporters.

What was said was that apart from the £100 ( per match presumably ) the overall sposorship listed was just shy of £34,000.
The figures are what were on the Newquay X account, and were not used to abuse Newquays attempt to raise funds, but rather to offer an explanation of how difficult it is for a small village club to raise such an amount to be competitive.
Thank you for explaining the £100 fee and we wish Newquay well next season

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I guess a lot wouldn’t class it any more as a hobby!

You're obviously talking about players, rather than those currently running the Clubs - who have inherited the long established expectation that players must receive financial reward for their services. 

A playing budget of just £300 per game equates to £12k in a 40 game season, often with additional travel costs incurred by the Clubs. It's not difficult to imagine over-all, annual costs reaching £30 - £40k. Is this sustainable or even achievable?Answers on a postcard!

By my reckoning, that's Penryn,Godolphin, Porthleven and St Dennis who've been forced out of the SWPL in recent years with Mullion taking voluntary relegation to step 7.

Unfortunately, don't think that will be the end of it. 

I know I keep going on about Neil Price and what he is doing at Launceston, but he is totally right in saying that step 6 football is recreational and that players shouldn't get paid for taking part in it.

While clubs are willing to pay the players things will not change?

It is pointless dishing out thousands of pounds a season when the prize money is relatively low in comparison.

I agree with the likes of Neil Price at Launceston that at this level clubs should be building a team from the young players instead of paying out large amounts of money to attract players who are chasing the cash.

I do not blame any player who is willing to move clubs if they can attract more money. If the club's all agreed on a maximum budget then surely you would be able to attract more local talent?

No club should be paying a player in this league anymore.

If you’re getting only 20 to 30  coming to watch on a weekend you can’t afford it .  Plenty of teams out there in the lower leagues manage  with full teams  and still that are paying 5 quid subs to play 

Once you start to move up the leagues that different .  Let’s be honest the standard of 80 per cent of the players now wouldn’t get anywhere near a south western league bench 20 odd years ago 

2 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Correct, with the amount of groundwork, paperwork and courses/ qualifications expected to be done it is no longer a hobby and is pushing people further and further away from volunteering.

In theory we're in the off season at the moment. Doubt it feels like that for the officials, committee members and volunteers at the various clubs.

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

In theory we're in the off season at the moment. Doubt it feels like that for the officials, committee members and volunteers at the various clubs.

Holiday 😂

Spent yesterday with volunteers on the ground and sorting bits out.

Today- tried to sort out the accreditation but need bits and bobs and had to an FA Course. Which I did but then wouldn't send me a certificate. So that's another job tomorrow lunchtime, ring county. 

It's just not simple anymore. 😕 

On 16/06/2024 at 08:13, Ian Pethick said:

By my reckoning, that's Penryn,Godolphin, Porthleven and St Dennis who've been forced out of the SWPL in recent years with Mullion taking voluntary relegation to step 7.

Unfortunately, don't think that will be the end of it. 

I know I keep going on about Neil Price and what he is doing at Launceston, but he is totally right in saying that step 6 football is recreational and that players shouldn't get paid for taking part in it.

I believe Launceston are doing the right thing in trying to rebuild a solid foundation but I'm almost certain there would have been a budget there this season just gone so if he doesn't feel players should be paid then why do it?

Are there any clubs in the SWPL that don't actually pay?

20 hours ago, Dom Baxter said:

I believe Launceston are doing the right thing in trying to rebuild a solid foundation but I'm almost certain there would have been a budget there this season just gone so if he doesn't feel players should be paid then why do it?

Are there any clubs in the SWPL that don't actually pay?

I don’t think callington pay 

15 minutes ago, Bigcornwall said:

I don’t think callington pay 

If that's true then it will be interesting to see whether the clubs that finished below them may consider a similar approach or whether Callington decide they need to pay to climb the table.

24 minutes ago, Dom Baxter said:

If that's true then it will be interesting to see whether the clubs that finished below them may consider a similar approach or whether Callington decide they need to pay to climb the table.

They have had there best season in the last few years this season whatever there doing is working a lot of local lads 

24 minutes ago, Bigcornwall said:

They have had there best season in the last few years this season whatever there doing is working a lot of local lads 

For their sake I hope they can keep hold of the players and no heads are turned at the prospect of money from elsewhere!