Cornwall Football Forum

4 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

First game of the new era under Chris McPhee sees them visit Exmouth and come away with 4-3 win.

Two goals apiece for Matt Wright and Dylan Jones, no details of the line up shared by the club.

Unable to attend unfortunately so I have no idea how they played or who played  but as with all pre season games the results are pretty irrelevant 

and nothing  from the club on a line up.

All very secretive. 

1 minute ago, sportsman10 said:

Unable to attend unfortunately so I have no idea how they played or who played  but as with all pre season games the results are pretty irrelevant 

and nothing  from the club on a line up.

All very secretive. 

Know what you mean about PSF's, but hopefully McPhee and Lee Peacock take a more serious approach than seemed to have been taken in previous seasons. Can understand the club keeping any trialists and prospective signings to themselves, won't want to risk others coming in for them, but it would be good for fans to have some idea of who is committed so far. The rumours keep persisting that they are struggling for players, not good if you are trying to sell season tickets and sponsorship. 

18 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Apparently their Saturday friendly v Tavistock is on Sunday but they haven't told anyone yet....are Parkway planning on being this secretive with everything? Think their fans are in for one of those seasons

Nothing official from the club (not that I've seen anyway), chance as well that it will be switched to Tavistock's ground as it might be too early for the recently renovated and repaired Bolitho pitch to be playable. 

Rumours are the game will be switched  tavi. So that be no pre season game at bolitho this season.  Does seem like trying get blood out of stone at minute information from the club  . A complete contrast to the last few years we’re everything was about social media and getting the club known.

There  Not even been a real drive to get sponsorship money in. No players mentioned to sponser. And just 1  mention about getting season tickets . All very odd when you think planning a budget must be high on the agenda .  

10 hours ago, Tractor Boy said:

Here we go again. Didn’t take long for the knocking to start and the rumours to start circulating from usual suspects. Their club, their choice how it’s managed and portrayed, nobody elses! 

I may have miss read the previous contributions, but only one rumour there I think, re weekend. So are you saying tractor boy that the rumour is in incorrect. Re other points you are right re running of club, it is their business, but, football has always been about opinions in every aspect of its being, thats how forums up and down the country exhist. 

1 hour ago, Home Waters said:

I may have miss read the previous contributions, but only one rumour there I think, re weekend. So are you saying tractor boy that the rumour is in incorrect. Re other points you are right re running of club, it is their business, but, football has always been about opinions in every aspect of its being, thats how forums up and down the country exhist. 

Rumours persisting regarding shortage of players and rumours ref when and where Tavistock game will be. There’s 2 rumours for starters. I’ve no idea if correct or not. Rumours are just that and not factual. Some turn out to be true, most are just gossip and don’t turn into reality. I’ve no issue with forums at all but certain posters will always have agendas, overt or otherwise against certain clubs. Very obvious too in some cases. 🎣🎣

Your right TB - how did we manage before with just the Herald Football Edition, Sunday Independent, Football programmes, managers parking outside players homes waiting for them to return, League meetings, approach notices by registered post. Players not being blown over by a puff of wind, with referees saying get up player nothing wrong with that tackle . .  :thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, Home Waters said:

Your right TB - how did we manage before with just the Herald Football Edition, Sunday Independent, Football programmes, managers parking outside players homes waiting for them to return, League meetings, approach notices by registered post. Players not being blown over by a puff of wind, with referees saying get up player nothing wrong with that tackle . .  :thumbsup:

Halcyon days indeed 👌😂

1 hour ago, Devonian said:

Parkway announced six hours ago that game would be at Tavi at 1500. 

Tavi seem to be following their recent policy of communicating with supporters as little as possible by trying to keep the game secret as long as possible…..

Instead of swiping the club why don’t you contact the club and offer your services. Especially when the Uni Student who offers his time and effort has left the area and returned home for the summer.

For everyone else’s information; the game is Sunday 14th July at Langsford Park with a 1pm kick off and not 3pm as stated by Parkway to avoid any confusion.

Yes that's correct Saturdays 3pm home kick off as advertised previously by Parkway is now on Sunday at 3pm at parkway.....oh no...Tavi have mentioned they are playing Sunday.......no Parkway have now confirmed a 3pm Sunday kick off at Tavi that Tavistock have now confirmed is now at Tavistock at 1  pm on Sunday and not 3pm

So now you know

3 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Yes that's correct Saturdays 3pm home kick off as advertised previously by Parkway is now on Sunday at 3pm at parkway.....oh no...Tavi have mentioned they are playing Sunday.......no Parkway have now confirmed a 3pm Sunday kick off at Tavi that Tavistock have now confirmed is now at Tavistock at 1  pm on Sunday and not 3pm

So now you know

That pretty much sums it up to be honest. Pointless trying to make plans to watch it. 

43 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Don't disagree Dave.......free entry sounds good then 😏

They are basically practice and training sessions, but clubs do still have expenses from staging them . Money through the gate and over the bar does offset these.

The number of pre season friendlies does seem to have grown and grown over the years. From memory, the likes of Liskeard and Saltash only seemed to play 3 or max 4 of them in the 80's and early 90's, and unless it was a high profile game against league opposition, there was no charge on the gate (do remember committee members walking around with a collection bucket though). Quite when 6,7 or even 8 of them became the norm, I don't know. 

Early on in pre season but I certainly hope parkway are looking at some other players to get in.   Watching Sunday was not filling me with hope at all.
 Tavi looked a stronger , fitter and miles ahead in preparation. They look like they have recruited well. 
parkway missing a few but I wasn’t overly impressed with the trialist that come on. There didn’t seem to much of a plan . 

shot off 10 mins before the end to get back and out watch  England bow out. So all in all a poor Sunday. 

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Early on in pre season but I certainly hope parkway are looking at some other players to get in.   Watching Sunday was not filling me with hope at all.
 Tavi looked a stronger , fitter and miles ahead in preparation. They look like they have recruited well. 
parkway missing a few but I wasn’t overly impressed with the trialist that come on. There didn’t seem to much of a plan . 

shot off 10 mins before the end to get back and out watch  England bow out. So all in all a poor Sunday. 

No doubt Stuart Henderson will be very buoyed up by this result (regardless of its status as a friendly), he does seem to keep uncovering gems each season. Not sure where he found 15 year old Harry French, but he sounds like a star in the making (gather he is having trials with pro clubs) and understand that he is also  having a look at Okehampton striker Josh Coles. 

A 2-1 win away at Buckland for Parkway . Couldn’t attend but from reports Parkway should have been comfortable ahead at half time but missed a lot chances .  ( a feature last season. ) 2nd half was Buckland pulled a goal back through Ryan Richards. hard to get a feel as how good parkway actually are. Hammerd by tavi . Only just beating   Buckland a few leagues below. 
 Interesting listen to Shane  white  after suggesting that Parkway are very light on players and found it hard to recruit. Bit  worrying with a few weeks till the season begins.  Prob a good core that will be able to compete but you do worry an few injuries and there going be massive problems 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

A 2-1 win away at Buckland for Parkway . Couldn’t attend but from reports Parkway should have been comfortable ahead at half time but missed a lot chances .  ( a feature last season. ) 2nd half was Buckland pulled a goal back through Ryan Richards. hard to get a feel as how good parkway actually are. Hammerd by tavi . Only just beating   Buckland a few leagues below. 
 Interesting listen to Shane  white  after suggesting that Parkway are very light on players and found it hard to recruit. Bit  worrying with a few weeks till the season begins.  Prob a good core that will be able to compete but you do worry an few injuries and there going be massive problems 

A pair of wins and defeat now for Chris McPhee in pre season. Never really sure how much you can take from these results as they are basically training matches but i do like the lower key approach that is being taken by the club regarding these games. New manager in, so they'll be trialling potential new signings and new formations/tactics so difficult to judge the new era until we are a month of so into the proper stuff. Regarding the squad, Shane White did elude to a lack of numbers which I would think there is work on addressing. They have to be the right signings though, and ones which are going to improve the squad. Don't want to end up like last season where it looked like it was just "bodies" brought in to fill the squad. Would think that come August, when the league season starts, you will see McPhee and his assistant, Lee Peacock, utilising their connections and making loan additions. 

6 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Bideford 3 Parkway 0.
As with the Tavi Game another very poor pre season display by parkway.  Only 2 on the bench  even  the manager been helping out on bench  , at this level a manager who been  playing himself to make up numbers is pretty embarrassing . 
only 2 weeks out from the season starting massive amount of work to do still and players to find. 

A 3-0 defeat never makes for good reading, but ultimately it depends on how much worth you attach to pre season results. New manager looking to implement a different style of play, and a few new players to integrate into the group (with a one or two inevitably missing friendlies as it's that time of the year) mean it will be a few games into the season proper before it will be possible to get an idea of where Parkway are. 

The signings of young Argyle keeper Zak Baker on loan and former Exeter City youngster Sam Joce add a bit extra in the way of numbers to the squad, no doubt there will be more additions as we head towards the season proper. Expect a few of these will be loan signings from league clubs once they have established what they can spare, or want to send out to develop.

4 minutes ago, swjoduk said:

I assume people are aware with the SL website they publish for each team who is signed on.

This is the link to Parkway 

https://southern-football-league.co.uk/players/PlymouthParkway/2024/2025/2417/P/Position

Not all players are showing yet no doubt, certainly not the case for Taunton and some clubs have none showing

Yes, the squad lists don't tend to look up to date until the eve of the new league season though (same goes for Full Time and step 5/6 clubs). Many of them are also trying to keep their cards close to their chests regarding who is turning out for them in PSF's (trailists or otherwise), hence the reason a lot don't publish line ups, give updates during the game or put together match reports. 

True, I can tell you around 5 at least Taunton players are not showing yet including Adam Parkes and likes of Tom Smith and Eddie Jones. 

I can also say that Bath have started a trialist in their last 3 games including playing 90 minutes but have not announced him yet. With it being closer and closer to season start I hope they sign him otherwise he will have spent all pre season there with nothing to show for it. 

41 minutes ago, swjoduk said:

I can also say that Bath have started a trialist in their last 3 games including playing 90 minutes but have not announced him yet. With it being closer and closer to season start I hope they sign him otherwise he will have spent all pre season there with nothing to show for it. 

Looks like it's been a difficult summer at Bath City with Jordan Dyer, Dan Hayfield and now Cody Cooke joining Paul Wotton's new look Torquay. Is it case of the club reducing their playing budget and diverting money to ground improvements (read that they are hoping to build a new grandstand and social club, redevelop the changing rooms and install a 3G pitch)?

https://twitter.com/BidefordAFC/status/1815872467124248860/photo/1

Parkway keeper in that photo is Luke McCormick, played the last half hour on Tuesday. I know he lives in North Devon, not far from Bideford, and has a business in Woolacombe, but would seem odd to give a 40 year-old, 3 years retired keeper 30 minutes on the very same day they announce Zak Baker's loan deal

On 25/07/2024 at 16:07, tfenlon said:

https://twitter.com/BidefordAFC/status/1815872467124248860/photo/1

Parkway keeper in that photo is Luke McCormick, played the last half hour on Tuesday. I know he lives in North Devon, not far from Bideford, and has a business in Woolacombe, but would seem odd to give a 40 year-old, 3 years retired keeper 30 minutes on the very same day they announce Zak Baker's loan deal

See that Luke McCormick is now listed on the Southern League website as a Parkway squad member. Probably a wise move to get cover in that position given the precarious nature of having a keeper on loan from a league club. 

In other play news, been announced that Tom Dean and Mitch Beardmore have both joined Parkway on loan until January. An obvious benefit of Chris McPhee's day job at Exeter City.

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

See that Luke McCormick is now listed on the Southern League website as a Parkway squad member. Probably a wise move to get cover in that position given the precarious nature of having a keeper on loan from a league club. 

In other play news, been announced that Tom Dean and Mitch Beardmore have both joined Parkway on loan until January. An obvious benefit of Chris McPhee's day job at Exeter City.

Luke McCormick. Hmmm very controversial to be fair having him involved in your club . Not sure how well that will sit.  Some good youngsters in A lot of them have played in pre season . 

5 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Luke McCormick. Hmmm very controversial to be fair having him involved in your club . Not sure how well that will sit.  Some good youngsters in A lot of them have played in pre season . 

Sam Joce and Carlo Garside also announced as new arrivals today by Parkway. 

Carlo Garside,younger brother of Rio, is an interesting one. Undoubtedly a very talented young midfield player( he was invited for a trial by an unnamed Premier League team back in January), but does seem to move clubs with regularity.  He was only "announced" by Willand a month ago.

Wouldn't mind a fiver as well for every Parkway player that says on the video clip that accompanies their signing, "that they want to settle down and make this club their home for several years." 🙄

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

See Luke McCormick in the parkway  team photo . No mention or media of him signing has it been kept deliberately low key ? . 
I know it will divide opinion and not sit easy with a few   of having him there. 

One for the club I think. Luke McCormick has served his sentence, shown remorse and gone on to play for Truro and Argyle. My opinion is that it's in the past now (although not for the victims), do understand others feeling different though. Don't know if he's signed as keeper cover or involved on the coaching side, but someone of his experience would be very useful.

Regarding Parkway,, one or two interesting youngsters signed on. In particular Corey Koerner, a teenage full back on a loan/dual signing arrangement with Yeovil.  Very highly rated, he's trained and played with their first team.

I stopped going to watch Argyle when they signed Luke McCormick ,i just wasnt going to pay my money when he was collecting his wages after what he did . 

I have talked to Luke on many occasions and hes a lovely person but he wiped out a family when he got in his car after  drinking .

If he had crashed into my sons car and killed him i would say lock him up for good and throw away the key . But it was a long time ago now and Luke has to live what he did for the rest of his life but the sentence was to leniant 

32 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I stopped going to watch Argyle when they signed Luke McCormick ,i just wasnt going to pay my money when he was collecting his wages after what he did . 

I have talked to Luke on many occasions and hes a lovely person but he wiped out a family when he got in his car after  drinking .

If he had crashed into my sons car and killed him i would say lock him up for good and throw away the key . But it was a long time ago now and Luke has to live what he did for the rest of his life but the sentence was to leniant 

Understand totally what you're saying 100%. No comfort to the family of the victims, but you're totally correct in saying that Luke will have to live with what he did every single day.

Missed the season opener due to work.  Understand parkway were very good for 35 mins but changes at half time seem to de rail the team.  Young squad. New back 4 

Seem to be people leaving early and moaning at the management already reading posts .Bit  much after 1 game of the season. . I know there still a hard core of Lee hobs support there hard to win them over. 
looking at the other results this will be a tough league to get results.  Tiverton hammered. Taunton spent a ton of money and drew 3-3. Long old season 

On 10/08/2024 at 11:36, Ian Pethick said:

Don't know if he's signed as keeper cover or involved on the coaching side, but someone of his experience would be very useful.

He'll be playing in at least the FA Cup games as Argyle want to avoid cup-tying Zak Baker.

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Missed the season opener due to work.  Understand parkway were very good for 35 mins but changes at half time seem to de rail the team.  Young squad. New back 4 

Seem to be people leaving early and moaning at the management already reading posts .Bit  much after 1 game of the season. . I know there still a hard core of Lee hobs support there hard to win them over. 
looking at the other results this will be a tough league to get results.  Tiverton hammered. Taunton spent a ton of money and drew 3-3. Long old season 

Yes, suspect there will still be a core of Lee Hobbs loyalists looking to pounce on anything that Chris McPhee does. After years of upward trajectory at Parkway, and possibly unrealistic expectations of life at step 3, will be difficult selling a season of transition and consolidation to the Bolitho Faithfull.

New, first time manager, with a load of new signings trying to implement a new style of playing. It will take time and patience, especially in a division that looks like it has gone up another notch or two in quality. 

12 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Taunton spent a ton of money and drew 3-3. Long old season 

Not sure where you get that from, signed a totally new squad but the budget is far less than last season which was unsustainable. Budget is about 5k compared to about 30k last season. Tom Smith the marquee player but the others aren't on that much compared to 2hat we paid for has been last season

Board concentrating on clearing debts

10 hours ago, swjoduk said:

Not sure where you get that from, signed a totally new squad but the budget is far less than last season which was unsustainable. Budget is about 5k compared to about 30k last season. Tom Smith the marquee player but the others aren't on that much compared to 2hat we paid for has been last season

Board concentrating on clearing debts

5k per what?

9 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Just an example of what you’re up against in that league budget wise. 
AFC Totten in parkway league have signed ex prem striker Charlie Austin.  Scored 15 for Swindon just last season. . Different level altogether.  

Austin paired up front with the prolific Tony Lee looks like some forward duo.

From what I gather, Totton are effectively full time professionals, with ex Southampton striker James Beattie brought in as their director of football .

Anybody who finishes above them will win the league.