Cornwall Football Forum

Predictions

15 minutes ago, Leroy said:

Top 5

Clevedon, Bridgwater, Buckland, Shepton Mallet and Paulton Rovers 

Relegated - Barnstaple and Oldland Abbotonians.

Would add Street to the contenders list. New manager Ben Watson has taken several with him from Barnstaple. Ivybridge might surprise a few as well, Lance Bailey is very well connected on the Plymouth non league scene and I wouldn't be surprised if has a few step 4 players dual signed with them.

At the other end, slightly worry about Torpoint. Ryan Richards' goals are going to take a lot of replacing.

2 hours ago, Leroy said:

Top 5

I'd go with your top 5, particuarly Paulton Rovers who've just come down from the Southern League.  Not sure Barnstaple Town will be in a relegation battle though.

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

At the other end, slightly worry about Torpoint. Ryan Richards' goals are going to take a lot of replacing.

Also Ryan scored the goals because of players around him, he's not really the type of player to win a game on his own. But you need that type of striker to put away the chances. Torpoint should be fine 

3 hours ago, Leroy said:

Top 5

Not sure I agree with Barnstaple, think they'll be fine this season. Welton are currently without a manager so there could be changes there.

Shepton will cause loads of problems again this year.

Top could be interesting, Clevedon Shepton and Buckland are my tips for top 3. The more settled the summer, the better teams tend to go. Street could be a outsider.

Bottom- Welton. No manager and with concerns over players I think they'll struggle. Oldland have been very quiet and Nailsea and Tickenham may have the 2nd season blues. 

12 hours ago, Southwest football fan said:

Also Ryan scored the goals because of players around him, he's not really the type of player to win a game on his own. But you need that type of striker to put away the chances. Torpoint should be fine 

Hope they do well this season as Torpoint are a club I've always liked. Nice ground and nice people (I'm in danger of giving them the Buckland treatment). 

31 minutes ago, RedAndWhite said:

Where are the fixtures for the Jewsons Western League? Anyone??

https://fulltime.thefa.com/index.html?league=3355283&selectedSeason=454569247&selectedDivision=766947256&selectedCompetition=0&selectedFixtureGroupKey=1_475860942

League website is now showing the current season but yet to have the fixtures added.

2 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Hope they do well this season as Torpoint are a club I've always liked. Nice ground and nice people (I'm in danger of giving them the Buckland treatment). 

Thanks Ian! We've worked to make those improvements to the ground, it's nice to be compared to Buckland in a roundabout way... Great set-up, excellent committee. 

Buckland Athltic
Paulton Rovers
Shepton Mallet
Bridgwater
St Austell

Dark Horses - Saltash United

Please, let this season be the one we talk about the Bucks team and not (the admittedly good) facilities and friendliness of the club! Richards and Lewington up front promise goals. Adam Seedhouse-Evans a top ‘keeper. Good players throughout the squad. Hopeful of a Bucks promotion, but then I always am.

if not the Bucks, I would *like* it to be the Ashes. Rikki Shepherd and Tom Paine reuniting with boss Macca Brown is top business. The side developed superbly as the last season evolved. A further improvement could see them in the play off places. Off the field incrementally things are improving too. 

At the bottom Oldland and Walton (if they even make the season’s start) could be in trouble.

Top 5: Buckland, Shepton, St Austell, Street, Nailsea & Tickenham

Relegation: St Blazey, Welton (if they can even make the start)

Very competitive looking league this season there's about 13-14 clubs I could plausibly see making the top 5 & outside of Welton there doesn't look like any particularly weak teams.

Taunton supporter here but have lived in Bridgwater for 18yrs.

I am not sure Bridgwater will do well. Most of last seasons players left, manager left, replaced with manager inexperienced at men's club football and a mix of players who are either old and not played much at this level for a while or young players who have not played much at this level. 

I can see them struggling and trouble ahead

1. Street - looked to have signed well since the new manager has come in the door.

2. Paulton - experience at the level above.

3. Clevedon Town - forgottern men from last year, really think they'll be tough to beat.

4. Shepton Mallet - that Falmouth result towards the back end of the season show how much quality they have.

5. Buckland - Lewington and Richards looks scary for opposition defenders but it's fitting them in. Another huge pressure season for Buckland.

Closer to home, Saltash have recrutied well. Strangely I was hoping to see Shepherd in the Southern League with Helston but I assume it wasn't going to work for him there but a huge coup for the Ashes. St Austell have signed well in some experience at this level (and above with Watson and Rosenquest), not sure how much value they would've got from their midweek friendly against Foxhole. Torpoint are in a transition it seems, I think I've seen 5 have gone to Buckland and a few elsehwere, replacing Richards goals will be tough. Blazey very similar to Torpoint but they've brought in some exciting youngsters.

Looking forward to another good season and this is becoming the League to watch. I'm fearful but I don't think Liskeard will be here next year either.

3 hours ago, RichieBlue said:

1. Street - looked to have signed well since the new manager has come in the door.

2. Paulton - experience at the level above.

3. Clevedon Town - forgottern men from last year, really think they'll be tough to beat.

4. Shepton Mallet - that Falmouth result towards the back end of the season show how much quality they have.

5. Buckland - Lewington and Richards looks scary for opposition defenders but it's fitting them in. Another huge pressure season for Buckland.

Closer to home, Saltash have recrutied well. Strangely I was hoping to see Shepherd in the Southern League with Helston but I assume it wasn't going to work for him there but a huge coup for the Ashes. St Austell have signed well in some experience at this level (and above with Watson and Rosenquest), not sure how much value they would've got from their midweek friendly against Foxhole. Torpoint are in a transition it seems, I think I've seen 5 have gone to Buckland and a few elsehwere, replacing Richards goals will be tough. Blazey very similar to Torpoint but they've brought in some exciting youngsters.

Looking forward to another good season and this is becoming the League to watch. I'm fearful but I don't think Liskeard will be here next year either.

Pretty good summary there I think. 

I'll add a little sub category to this thread, how far into the season will we go before Barnstaple and Bridgwater sack their managers? Both have highly ambitious, yet trigger happy, owners and chairs who probably think they're better at the job than the people they appoint. 

18 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Think ivybridge could be dark horses to win the league. . Have some quality up front and really strong squad. 

If they can keep their discipline (particularly in the dug outs as they’ve been very vocal when I’ve seen them) I really do think they could get promotion. Clearly a good management team with a good squad of players. 

20 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

According to St Austell Reports Street are favourites for the title ! 
Is this going to change every time they lose I wonder ??? Nobody else gives street a mention ??

Couple of posts on this thread mention Street. All very subjective and a matter of opinion though, definitely not scientific.

Will be very interesting revisiting these predictions next May.

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Street have to be up there. But given promotion to step 4 and their voluntary demotion a few years ago... you wonder. 

Given simialr logic some may question Saltash's promotion credentials this season? Flying high in the Shane Krac era with some brilliant talents for the expectations to change and the side to be pulled apart a season later. With Brown clearly backed with some big name signings, have the expectations changed again? From memory, I beleive Dane Bunney had some choice words the summer after he was removed from post (albeit the right move).

I didn't put Bridgwater in my own predictions but their owner is clearly ambitious to succeed and like many mentioned in this chain, they have the finances to back them up.

9 hours ago, RichieBlue said:

Given simialr logic some may question Saltash's promotion credentials this season? Flying high in the Shane Krac era with some brilliant talents for the expectations to change and the side to be pulled apart a season later. With Brown clearly backed with some big name signings, have the expectations changed again? From memory, I beleive Dane Bunney had some choice words the summer after he was removed from post (albeit the right move).

I didn't put Bridgwater in my own predictions but their owner is clearly ambitious to succeed and like many mentioned in this chain, they have the finances to 

Totally different era now. Whilst the basics of that squad was excellent and a good bunch, there wasn't any links within rest of the club and it was easier to go out for ringers when there was an issue.

When you look at last season and plans for this the gaps are plugged with 2nd team development and entering the Youth FAC backs that up. The Old side was very insulated and with them with no disrespect heading towards 30 in a lot of cases and no link up it left us exposed. 

Factor in ground grading improvements are done, clubhouse has been ripped to pieces and done which all costs money we're in an OK position. On the pitch our side average age is a good 22/23 - with more to come through from 2nds and under 18s. I'd say that's a good spot to be in. 

I've no doubt Saltash will do well this year, finished the season strong and recruited very well with the boys from Torpoint and Helston to add a little experience. Goulty was a great addition last year as well and has that experience.

On 30/07/2024 at 10:27, RichieBlue said:

I've no doubt Saltash will do well this year, finished the season strong and recruited very well with the boys from Torpoint and Helston to add a little experience. Goulty was a great addition last year as well and has that experience.

Maybe your comment was a little premature after tonight’s result at Saint Blazey?

1 hour ago, rocky170267 said:

Maybe your comment was a little premature after tonight’s result at Saint Blazey?

Reminded me of Welton away early doors last season, when we got hammered for 6. Every team has a daft result. Done, dusted, and plenty to work on. It's now the reaction needed. 

11 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Not at all Rocky, possibly a little disrespectful to St Blazey who should be congratulated on the superb win. Saltash will still do well, no Shepherd in the squad again last night and he will make a huge difference when he is back. Barker another huge signing, wouldn't be surprised to see O'Brien follow suit if things are tough at Helston.

On 29/07/2024 at 18:15, rocky170267 said:

According to St Austell Reports Street are favourites for the title ! 
Is this going to change every time they lose I wonder ??? Nobody else gives street a mention ??

Street should do well, I watched them Tuesday. They got the win but not sure they will win the title but will be top half, maybe playoffs

On 25/07/2024 at 18:39, Ian Pethick said:

Pretty good summary there I think. 

I'll add a little sub category to this thread, how far into the season will we go before Barnstaple and Bridgwater sack their managers? Both have highly ambitious, yet trigger happy, owners and chairs who probably think they're better at the job than the people they appoint. 

Apparently the answer to that question was two games - Richard Washburn has gone from Barnstaple. This comment made with a heavy heart though - sad to see, and nothing but sympathy for the Barnstaple fans. 

1 hour ago, Gary Hocking said:

Apparently the answer to that question was two games - Richard Washburn has gone from Barnstaple. This comment made with a heavy heart though - sad to see, and nothing but sympathy for the Barnstaple fans. 

You didn't need to be Nostradamus to see this coming (speed of it was a surprise though).

Pretty scathing statement from the BTFC Independent Supporters Club accompanied this as well.

On 05/08/2024 at 20:40, Ian Pethick said:

You didn't need to be Nostradamus to see this coming (speed of it was a surprise though).

Pretty scathing statement from the BTFC Independent Supporters Club accompanied this as well.

I had a strange conversation with their Chairman pre-season. Apart from being a back seat manager the entire game he gave me a weird response when I asked who their No 10 was. He growled under contract and it’ll cost you!! I’m a fan, a relative neutral at that particular game. He thinks he knows better despite spouting rubbish all game.

Sadly the decision makers at Barum and Bridgy have turned their well backed clubs into laughing stocks. 

3 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I had a strange conversation with their Chairman pre-season. Apart from being a back seat manager the entire game he gave me a weird response when I asked who their No 10 was. He growled under contract and it’ll cost you!! I’m a fan, a relative neutral at that particular game. He thinks he knows better despite spouting rubbish all game.

Sadly the decision makers at Barum and Bridgy have turned their well backed clubs into laughing stocks. 

Im hoping this season the tide will turn , the budget isn’t as big and the side itself has a lot more energy and less money men riding on their past glories, from my initial reaction with the chairman he’s misunderstood and will come off as difficult,nobody is perfect, the fans will also be vocal it’s there towns team  it will be long after he relinquishes the reigns , situations like this this need a neutral middleman 

On 27/07/2024 at 00:41, sportsman10 said:

Think ivybridge could be dark horses to win the league. . Have some quality up front and really strong squad. 

I think I might have been slighlty over optimistic with this 😂
I didn’t see them struggle this early if I’m honest maybe just finding their feet but it’s a very poor start for ivybridge. 
where is the new striker they signed who scored the goals in pre season. ?