(Holders : Falmouth Town)

1st Round: 1st & 2nd October 

Bodmin Town   v   Torpoint Athletic - 1st October

Camelford   v   Callington Town

Penzance   v   Truro City Reserves

Saltash United   v   Falmouth Town - 1st October

Sticker   v   Millbrook  - 1st October

Wendron United   v   Helston Athletic

Byes: Bude Town, Dobwalls, Launceston, Liskeard Athletic, Mousehole, Newquay, St Austell, St Blazey, St Day & Wadebridge Town

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Fair enough seems very harsh on the previous winners. Rewarded with an away match to Saltash. Surly winners should get a bye automatically. Just a thought. 

I'd tend to agree, if there were a number a byes the CCFA could grant one to the holders.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Or the clubs below the SWPL could play a round or two before it to get enough to go through to fill the first round so all teams play and no byes. Make the senior cup a proper competition once again. 

Didn't the clubs favour the suggestion of an Intermediate Cup?

17 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Why?

A new ground for a final, a showcase final, ground capacity is high, good parking arrangements, good playing surface (very likely), fairly central for Cornwall, more likely to attract neutral’s to the game, opportunity to install temporary stands/covers/bars/toilets for game, greater selection of viewing locations, the game will be remembered as the first CSF on the ground, disabled accessibility much better than most grounds, so why not ?

Ok my 30 mins write up of last nights match between Newquay 3- St Day 1

Newquay started the match on fire and Louis Price was given the St Day defence a rough time and he put Newquay 1-0 up with a well place shot .

Newquay went 2-0 when the outstanding Jacob Grange put over a rcoss which caught out ex Newquay goalie Harry Salmon out and sailed into the goal 

St Day pulled a goal back from the pen spot with what looked like a clear pen from where i was ex Blazey player Kyle Marks scored from the spot . 

Jacob Grange  then went on a long run with St Day players left in his wake only thing missing was a goal at the end which he deserved 

I had enough then soaking wet with a poor little dog suffering it was time to go home 

St Day had a very experianced side in Jacob Cleverly ED Timmons ,Phil  Cattran Kirk Davis and more exerianced players severel from Mullion and ex Newquay goalie young Harry Salmon .

Ok my MOM from what i saw for Newquay Jacob Grange and for St Day Harry Salmon 

Good start for Newquay 

3 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

A new ground for a final, a showcase final, ground capacity is high, good parking arrangements, good playing surface (very likely), fairly central for Cornwall, more likely to attract neutral’s to the game, opportunity to install temporary stands/covers/bars/toilets for game, greater selection of viewing locations, the game will be remembered as the first CSF on the ground, disabled accessibility much better than most grounds, so why not ?

Fair points, lol.

13 hours ago, silly billy said:

Why?

It's a ground which is worthy of a cup final,play the junior cup there as well same day like it used to be,would be a great thing to happen.

On 12/08/2024 at 09:31, Dave Deacon said:

Just one way to get it to a workable number of ties for the next round.

There's 10 teams so why not all play?

Just now, Dave Deacon said:

What about the Intermediate Cup final?

Junior cup n senior cup always used to be same day Dave,if they can squeeze another one then it would certainly be good value for money for the spectators if they could get all 3 games in on one day and no doubt it's certainly big enough down at truro to host such a day so hopefully its given some thought,push for it on ur podcast as well it would be easier for ccfa to sort as well I'd imagine. 

13 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Ok my 30 mins write up of last nights match between Newquay 3- St Day 1

Newquay started the match on fire and Louis Price was given the St Day defence a rough time and he put Newquay 1-0 up with a well place shot .

Newquay went 2-0 when the outstanding Jacob Grange put over a rcoss which caught out ex Newquay goalie Harry Salmon out and sailed into the goal 

St Day pulled a goal back from the pen spot with what looked like a clear pen from where i was ex Blazey player Kyle Marks scored from the spot . 

Jacob Grange  then went on a long run with St Day players left in his wake only thing missing was a goal at the end which he deserved 

I had enough then soaking wet with a poor little dog suffering it was time to go home 

St Day had a very experianced side in Jacob Cleverly ED Timmons ,Phil  Cattran Kirk Davis and more exerianced players severel from Mullion and ex Newquay goalie young Harry Salmon .

Ok my MOM from what i saw for Newquay Jacob Grange and for St Day Harry Salmon 

Good start for Newquay 

Wrong thread,this is Cornwall Senior Cup Draw.

' Up The Town '

On 12/08/2024 at 06:48, sportsman10 said:

Why so many teams with Byes to next round ?  

The number of byes is needed to produce 16 teams in the 2nd round. If all 22 teams played in the 1st round, there would be 11 winners to play in round 2 - how could you proceed from there to end up with 4 semi finalists?

The accepted formula to calculate byes in cup competitions always ensures that the number of teams in round 2 is divisible by 8.

11 hours ago, John Mead said:

The number of byes is needed to produce 16 teams in the 2nd round. If all 22 teams played in the 1st round, there would be 11 winners to play in round 2 - how could you proceed from there to end up with 4 semi finalists?

The accepted formula to calculate byes in cup competitions always ensures that the number of teams in round 2 is divisible by 8.

That fair enough just seem very odd way of sorting out a cup. Still think the winners should get an automatic bye 

9 hours ago, bighairydave said:

How else do you suggest it is done then?

winners get a bye 

Teams playing at higher step in pyramid also get a bye 

If still not right number of teams, bye judged on league finishing position from previous SWPL season for teams below southern and western league.

So similar to FA cup where higher league teams come into competition later in the cup competition  

15 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

winners get a bye 

If still not right number of teams, bye judged on league finishing position from previous SWPL season for teams below southern and western league.

So similar to FA cup where higher league teams come into competition later in the cup competition  

Personally, the Cornwall Senior Cup should include 32+ teams. Cup Football should be about creating long lasting memories ie cup upsets, David against Goliath. I still remember reading the Sunday Independent in morning when Illogan beat St Blazey at Blair’s Park in the CSC (must be over 10 years ago?). I bet the Illogan players, management and supporters remember that day like if it was yesterday. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, football fans want to be entertained, why reduce the potential of memorable matches for all people associated with smaller clubs who would do anything for their local club. Imagine the excitement of St Just hosting Penzance, or Foxhole hosting St Austell in the CSC. A rethink is needed.

10 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Personally, the Cornwall Senior Cup should include 32+ teams. Cup Football should be about creating long lasting memories ie cup upsets, David against Goliath. I still remember reading the Sunday Independent in morning when Illogan beat St Blazey at Blair’s Park in the CSC (must be over 10 years ago?). I bet the Illogan players, management and supporters remember that day like if it was yesterday. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, football fans want to be entertained, why reduce the potential of memorable matches for all people associated with smaller clubs who would do anything for their local club. Imagine the excitement of St Just hosting Penzance, or Foxhole hosting St Austell in the CSC. A rethink is needed.

Clubs voted against that though!

53 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

winners get a bye 

Ok, and I do agree. Your original post implied not having byes at all I thought. Agree that giving higher leagues byes, especially as they also have more league games as well.

2 hours ago, quiksilver said:

winners get a bye 

Quicksilver,that is the answer. 

Byes for Southern League - currently 3 teams (remember this is the first season this level has been allowed back into the competition and the County FA 'reward' two clubs with a game in the First rd and the other one a bye !)

Byes for Western League - currently 4 teams

Bye for SWPL winners as they would next season be Western League. In the current situation I would give a bye to the SWPL runners-up to make the numbers to eight.

' Up The Town '

3 hours ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Are there 32 teams in Cornwall that would enter????

i remember in previous seasons lower ranked clubs in Cornwall would pull out of fixtures in the cup against the bigger clubs for fear of getting hammered, not being able to raise a team, pitch not suitable etc....

On 13/08/2024 at 23:51, Yourhavingalaugh said:

The CCFA should be doing all they can to get the final played at Langarth whoever is fortunate to get there.

Given Truro don’t play in the competition why should they financial benefit from hosting the final ? 

Is it also correct that final will no longer be held on Easter Monday ? 

1 hour ago, Leroy said:

Given Truro don’t play in the competition why should they financial benefit from hosting the final ? 

Truro Reserves play in the competition. Personally I don’t care who benefits from hosting the final.

3 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

I must have misread Penance V Truro Reserves then... 🤔

🤦‍♂️ - a bit like Falmouth Town’s defence this afternoon, I guess no one is perfect. 

On 17/08/2024 at 13:43, Leroy said:

The Southern League always have a full fixture list on Easter Monday, and the Western League treat it as a spare day in the event it's needed to clear fixture backlogs.

Still think the best thing for the Cornish FA to do, and something that would truly boost the competition, would be to move the final to a Saturday in May when all the leagues have finished and title, promotion and relegation  issues have been settled. Make it the grand finale of the Cornish season.

9 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Still think the best thing for the Cornish FA to do, and something that would truly boost the competition, would be to move the final to a Saturday in May when all the leagues have finished and title, promotion and relegation  issues have been settled. Make it the grand finale of the Cornish season.

Good suggestion and surely has to be the way forward!

Agree with higher clubs getting byes. But I didn't agree with SL being allowed to enter it as I think at some point you become "too senior" and it's either too easy for them or alternatively the extra games would be a hinderance and it wouldn't be a priority in their already busy schedules. The gap in quality between the SL and SWL, and between WL and St Piran is huge, probably far greater than people realise until you see the proof. A post above says Foxhole vs St Austell would be nice, but that was a friendly last month and it was a cricket score, even though Foxhole are one of the leading clubs in the St Piran Leagues. Years ago St Teath drew Bodmin in the cup and it finished 15-0. Not enjoyable for anyone. The introduction of the Intermediate Cup allows Step 7 and below their own opportunities for cup runs and success.