Clevedon Town    6-0    Ivybridge Town

Ilfracombe Town    1-2    Nailsea & Tickenham

Oldland Abbotonians    1-0    Buckland Athletic

Paulton Rovers    0-2    Barnstaple Town

Saltash United    1-1    Shepton Mallet

St Blazey    2-3    Street

Torpoint Athletic    0-2    Portishead Town

At Blazey 2 - 3 Street .

The Shoe Boys second visit to mid Cornwall produced the same narrow victory as achieved at Poltair Park on the opening day of the season.

The visitors reced into a two lead only for St. Blazey to pull a goal back before half time. The home side achieved paraty only to concede an own goal to give Street their eventual three points.

Attendance probably about 200.

On 09/08/2024 at 07:36, mattelot said:

But they played on it in a pre season friendly against wimborne on 30th july.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 10 August 2024

I have a lot of time for St Blazey lovely ground lovely people but the team do seem to be struggling they seem to go out and sign anyone most of the signings i have seen our just not up to that league if they had Luke Cloke . Martin Giles and especially River Allen in there team they wouldnt be strugglin like are the team just seem to be out of there depths in this league .

See you back at Newquay before long but then again with the team Newquay have they will just keep going up the leagues starting with this year .

Good luck to Blazey and Paul and the brilliant people down there see you sometime 

St Blazey 2v3 Street. Att.124

Only a couple weeks ago we lost 8v0. Today we've lost but we've come so close to a point. A team tipped to do well, currently joint top with 9 points from 3 games and were disappointed not to get something from the game. Progress is being made with this new group of players. 

Currently a point better off than this stage last season. Games coming thick and fast in August and hopefully a few good results. 

Not an easy league to just turn up and win games. Look at some of the teams struggling so far to really get going. Tough league and a long season with alot of football to be played yet. 

Ivybridge away on Wednesday next. 

31 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I have a lot of time for St Blazey lovely ground lovely people but the team do seem to be struggling they seem to go out and sign anyone most of the signings i have seen our just not up to that league if they had Luke Cloke . Martin Giles and especially River Allen in there team they wouldnt be strugglin like are the team just seem to be out of there depths in this league .

See you back at Newquay before long but then again with the team Newquay have they will just keep going up the leagues starting with this year .

Good luck to Blazey and Paul and the brilliant people down there see you sometime 

Would you say that newly promoted St Austell and Ivybridge are both out of their depth in this league? Both got goings over today.

The big attraction of the Western League is that if it's not your day, and the other team is on it, most teams are capable of beating each other. 

I saw Ivybridge playin Pre  Season vs Newquay and they are a really good team and theres no chance of them struggling but St Austell it will be a long season and today they didnt have there captain and brilliant player Neil Slateford i was wandering if he got injured playing midweek for Wadebridge ,This dual registration should not be allowed say you play for the team you are suppose to  be with then in midweek you got a chance of making some more money but get injured and cannot turn out  for you regular club this is all wrong i remember  1 player last season playing for 3 different clubs in a week.

I looked at the St Austell team today and by the look of things they are struggling for players because you had players like Ed Timmons and Kyle Marks on the bench and also Curtis Damerell , who i saw play in pre season and just didnt right alongside Adam Carter but Liam Eddy did .

Without Neil Slateford it will  be a long season but they should stay up if Ollie Brokenshire stays at the club . Good Luck to all the teams but Blazey need to do better and dont sign every Tom **** and Harry they have made some poor signings i have seen all the players they have signed and the only 1 i can see doing well is JACOB Rowe a good old fashion Centre forward who will give his all for the club .

Hope Blazey do start winning again 1 minute they are hammering Saltash the next they  are getting hammerd themselves .The Blazey team last season would of done really well  in this league with River ALLEN with his superb passing and in defence Joe Cooper and Martin Giles stopping everything then you had Luke Cloke up front who couldnt stop scoring Hell of a team  that . One last thing what happened to that player Blazey signed he had been a Argyle apprentice cant remember his name the black lad i was looking forward to coming down and watching him play .

Really surprised me ivybridge. The signed a few and it looks like they are not sure who the best line up is.  
it’s been a very poor start and struggling for goals. . What has happened to the lad they signed up front who scored loads pre season ? Is he injured? 

Saltash 1 Shepton  Mallet 1

A good game of football, where both teams gave there all, and the draw a fair result, Saltash seem a stronger team  this year, not afraid to get stuck in, and some leaders on the pitch, not afraid to open their mouths at the ref  etc, which was missed last year, Shepton looked pretty good and a fairly young team, was told average age of 21,

Off the pitch Saltash ground is looking good , sparkly clean new toilets and freshened up club house, just one moan from me though, when in the que to get in to pay at the hut, the area  to the right, back of the covered patio seems to of come a bit of dumping area  and looks very untidy, old pallets,, shelves, tables, first impressions count, and I can not help notice it while in que, other than that enjoyable day, and Saltash good local team to watch, 

Saltash United 1 Shepton Mallet

Att: 163

Scrappy, disjointed, dare I say ugly encounter.

I understand Mallet have had various squad shortages for a number of reasons and came to Saltash hoping to get what they could from the game. 

The visitors problems were evident but Saltash gave a performance just as bad.

Long periods of the game resembled 'boot & chase' rather than football, hardly a couple of passes in a row were achieved. Images of Peter Kay shouting "Ave It" and hoofing the ball onto a neighbouring dustbin came to mind.

The untidy, disruptive passages of play were continually halted by niggling fouls and a good few examples of Bafta Level play acting. The Referee had a hell of a time dealing with the negative antics and it's no wonder the game didn't finish until almost 5.10pm.

A dog of a match I'm afraid, worst I've seen in a long time, at any level. I've witnessed better St Piran stuff, no disrespect to that fine league.

Final note: What was once a really good ground to visit still has the daft grass bank restrictions in place, even though the extremely large area of raised bank behind the dug-outs is perfectly flat? Sad to see stewards patrolling the no-go areas in their high visibility garb. Unfortunately they don't appear capable of returning the match ball from their boarded off, demarcated, so called danger zones? A degree of common sense and leniency in where people can view from would be far better than the unnecessary red tape, over officious approach, a good example is how St Blazey successfully deal with the red tape.

I was glad to get back in the car.   

1 hour ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

I understand Mallet have had various squad shortages for a number of reasons and came to Saltash hoping to get what they could from the game. 

Long periods of the game resembled 'boot & chase' rather than football, hardly a couple of passes in a row were achieved. Images of Peter Kay shouting "Ave It" and hoofing the ball onto a neighbouring dustbin came to mind.

The untidy, disruptive passages of play were continually halted by niggling fouls and a good few examples of Bafta Level play acting. The Referee had a hell of a time dealing with the negative antics and it's no wonder the game didn't finish until almost 5.10pm.

A dog of a match I'm afraid, worst I've seen in a long time, at any level. I've witnessed better St Piran stuff, no disrespect to that fine league.

Final note: What was once a really good ground to visit still has the daft grass bank restrictions in place, even though the extremely large area of raised bank behind the dug-outs is perfectly flat? Sad to see stewards patrolling the no-go areas in their high visibility garb. Unfortunately they don't appear capable of returning the match ball from their boarded off, demarcated, so called danger zones? A degree of common sense and leniency in where people can view from would be far better than the unnecessary red tape, over officious approach, a good example is how St Blazey successfully deal with the red tape.

The bank being brought to the attention of the land owner (Cornwall Council) for big games like Man U and Middlesbrough back along led to its closure under the NLS regulations. Silly us for trying to generate revenue. 

I note Blazey have signs up advising none uusethis season but being privately owned I guess means why they avoid red tape. 

Give us a few million, we'll buy the ground and stick some concrete on the bank and open it (bare in mind it'll flood even more in bad weather- water still runs downhill currently)  Or we could just give it to Aldi and have done with it for a soulless flat box ground with Atacost stands and more concrete than Ready mix can produce probably nearer Callington than the town (the way it's going building wise). 😂 

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

I note Blazey have signs up advising none uusethis season but being privately owned I guess means why they avoid red tape. 

Surely if you're at the same Step level surely you have to adhere to the same ground regulations, irrespective who owns it?

20 hours ago, mattelot said:

It's a funny old place to go oldland ,but they have a very inspirational chairman who's proud of what he and the club have achieved.

If Buckland want to be challenging for top honours they have to be winning at oldland who only won 4 games at home last season,

8 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Surely if you're at the same Step level surely you have to adhere to the same ground regulations, irrespective who owns it?

Put it this way.

If I fall, break my wrist at Kimberley who are you going to sue? You'd come to us in the first instance but it's the land owner who is partly responsible.

Fall and slip at a private ground- then it's the club. 

Hence why it's closed off. Do I like it closed? No of course not. But when (as I do in my day job see claim after claim for accidents/incidents on public highway) what the heck are we meant to do. 

If I fell at a ground- that's why clubs have to have public liability but I wouldn't claim against a Club personally (because I ain't going to do so). Plenty sadly would and that's rub. You wouldn't Dave, I wouldn't Dave. Thousands would. 

7 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Saltash United 1 Shepton Mallet 1

Draw a fair result. Elliot Crawford had a storming game, cut 2 off the line and scored. 

Always a friendly visit with Shepton and a visit from league Chair John Pool and his wife to boot. 👍

Where is Riki shepherd ? Is he injured? Noticed he missed the start of season. Missing his goals. 

3 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

The bank being brought to the attention of the land owner (Cornwall Council) for big games like Man U and Middlesbrough back along led to its closure under the NLS regulations. Silly us for trying to generate revenue. 

Give us a few million, we'll buy the ground and stick some concrete on the bank and open it (bare in mind it'll flood even more in bad weather- water still runs downhill currently)  Or we could just give it to Aldi and have done with it for a soulless flat box ground with Atacost stands and more concrete than Ready mix can produce probably nearer Callington than the town (the way it's going building wise). 😂 

Thank you for your insight Phil. Obviously there is a lot more baggage to the grass-banking situation than I thought. It is such a shame that claim culture bureaucracy has nuked one of the best viewing points in South West football. Saltash was always one of my favourite return visits. Not sure if your club had an appeal process? Is there no mileage in producing a Safety Professional HS competence verified, comprehensive but sensible Risk Assessment for the specific bank area? I'm pretty sure it would be categorised 'Low Risk'. It would possibly clarify some 'Further Action' but this could be as simple as a waist high metal barrier erected at the edge of the area adjacent to the dug outs. Too many sizeable organisations get away with railroading through daft Health & Safety remedial actions, some of which are totally over the top. 

6 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Found this a strange report on the game. From what I saw both teams tried to play where they could on what looked like an uneasy surface but also were more direct when they needed to be. The main thing missing for both teams was a bit of attacking quality. I agree that it did look untidy in places in the second half when the game did become a bit tense and both teams were caught between going for a winner and being content with the point they had. The referee was terrible in my view, there were some nasty tackles missed, some offsides not given (albeit this would be the linesman's job!) and what seemed to be a clear penalty for Saltash United given as a free kick! He certainly struggled managing the game. All in all an entertaining game though but maybe I'm more easily pleased than Uwdi.

11 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Thank you for your insight Phil. Obviously there is a lot more baggage to the grass-banking situation than I thought. It is such a shame that claim culture bureaucracy has nuked one of the best viewing points in South West football. Saltash was always one of my favourite return visits. Not sure if your club had an appeal process? Is there no mileage in producing a Safety Professional HS competence verified, comprehensive but sensible Risk Assessment for the specific bank area? I'm pretty sure it would be categorised 'Low Risk'. It would possibly clarify some 'Further Action' but this could be as simple as a waist high metal barrier erected at the edge of the area adjacent to the dug outs. Too many sizeable organisations get away with railroading through daft Health & Safety remedial actions, some of which are totally 

No appeal. Kimberley falls under the NLS so until improvements are done (concrete and barriers) the bank has to remain shut. 

As for H and S, perhaps I take a different view as in my day job, legislation has totally transformed it. All team meetings start with H and S, and all site visits the same and I have sign and get it countersigned just to go on site. Long gone are the days of rocking up in a pair of shorts/jeans and t shirt on the roads. Even the materials have to be safe! 

Not a great weekend for our local sides again, early doors but all 4 Cornish sides in the bottom 7 and only 2 wins between them (St Blazey's coming against the Ashes). Surprised a little with Ivybridge, looked to have recruited well in the summer and vocal about their aspirations. Every promoted side from the SWPL seems to struggle in their first season though.

11 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

No appeal. Kimberley falls under the NLS so until improvements are done (concrete and barriers) the bank has to remain shut. 

As for H and S, perhaps I take a different view as in my day job, legislation has totally transformed it. All team meetings start with H and S, and all site visits the same and I have sign and get it countersigned just to go on site. Long gone are the days of rocking up in a pair of shorts/jeans and t shirt on the roads. Even the materials have to be safe! 

I was a Group Safety Manager for a large, multiple site, nationwide business so I realise Health & Safety has a bad press. Sadly a lot of Insurers, Councils, Organisations & Local Authorities jump in, trash the whole village and don't ask questions in the process. There is plenty of scope within Safety Culture (& Safety Law) to keep people safe without drowning in a sea of red tape. Hence my suggestion for a reasonably practicable, common sense Risk Assessment process.

13 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

I was a Group Safety Manager for a large, multiple site, nationwide business so I realise Health & Safety has a bad press. Sadly a lot of Insurers, Councils, Organisations & Local Authorities jump in, trash the whole village and don't ask questions in the process. There is plenty of scope within Safety Culture (& Safety Law) to keep people safe without drowning in a sea of red tape. Hence my suggestion for a reasonably practicable, common sense Risk Assessment process.

That's good to know. 

Are you offering to meet and give us the benefit of that experience because as part of our long term plans which we had to do for CCFA we gave an approx date for works to be done when we had the funding in place. It's not the most enlightening of plans (concrete and barriers) and to be fair they were drawn up before the cost of materials went through the roof as they have in the few couple of years. Concrete especially 😞

On 10/08/2024 at 17:48, Tavi Fan said:

Surely Dan Hart should be doing better at Buckland?

Two wins out of three in the league now. No crisis. Bucks looked very solid tonight at Saltash. Conversely Tavi hardly off to a flier themselves (unfortunately). Stu Henderson is a smart cookie, so I’m sure things will come good.