Cornwall Football Forum

Opening Day

Truro City 1 Dorking Wanderers 2

I was really impressed with the new set-up at Langarth, with a great crowd turning up to watch the first game. It was bizarre that the game was allowed to start with City in red and Dorking in orange, as they looked very similar - 2 minutes in and Dorking went in and they came out wearing their shirts inside out, with no numbers visible obviously - very strange! Dorking took a deserved lead with a header from their striker, although it looked like a clear push on the City defender. The home team grew into the game and equalised via Tyler Harvey, although I couldn’t see from the opposite end whether it had deflected in off a visiting defender. 1-1 at halftime.

Dorking took the lead again early in the second half and City never really looked like getting back into it, although one of the home defenders did head narrowly wide. 1-2 final score.

Really enjoyed my first visit to City’s new home, although the visitors deserved the win, but I was impressed with Tyler Harvey, he was lively all afternoon. John Askey changed things midway through the second half and it helped City, just not enough to get a point. It was good to see a lot of ex-City players there watching. Great crowd there supporting, and it will be interesting to see how many are there in a few weeks time, because obviously the crowd was inflated with people intrigued to see the new setup. I will be back to watch a few games throughout the season. Well done to everyone involved in getting Truro ‘home’ again.

1 hour ago, silly billy said:

But seriously lacking any type of atmosphere 😔

Lol I was in the stand behind the goal and my watch told me numerous times that the decibel level was dangerous for my health - it was loud!

Whether that atmosphere was lost because of the open nature of the stadium isn’t anyone’s fault.

There were plenty who had had a few and a lot of chanting and singing going on.

Need maybe a few more songs as I’m heavily fatigued from spelling our clubs name. Thank god we’re not Middlesbrough!

Absolutely fab day out - I really hope the word spreads and those crowds level out comfortably at 4 figures.

Cornwall deserves nice things!

11 minutes ago, Craze said:

Lol I was in the stand behind the goal and my watch told me numerous times that the decibel level was dangerous for my health - it was loud!

Whether that atmosphere was lost because of the open nature of the stadium isn’t anyone’s fault.

There were plenty who had had a few and a lot of chanting and singing going on.

Need maybe a few more songs as I’m heavily fatigued from spelling our clubs name. Thank god we’re not Middlesbrough!

Absolutely fab day out - I really hope the word spreads and those crowds level out comfortably at 4 figures.

Cornwall deserves nice things!

I think I need to get my hearing checked, there was hardly a whisper from the Truro supporter's. Just have to wait for Dorkings video to prove my point.

Hopefully things improve as it's a cracking venue. 

Congrats to City on a fantastic crowd today!! Not sure anyone would have gone for 2700 almost a sell out!! Like Chris said, so nice to see so many old Truro players there, going back 50/60 years in some cases!! And a lot of people who were proper old stalwarts of the club through thick and thin. Everyone seemed to turn out for the clubs special day. Made my 1st team debut for Truro when I was 15 still at Richard Lander School when Tony Roberts was manager against Launceston in the Charity Cup and I saw 5 players today even from that team 42 years ago!! Like Craze said, quite an emotional day in many respects, thinking about some who are no longer with us who would have loved it today. Thought Tyler had a great game and deserved to be the scorer of City’s 1st ever goal on the new ground. Told his dad Lee he would be bout 3 minutes before he scored!! Looked really sharp all game, class striker. Just one downside, came out the ground at 5.20 and didn’t get out the park & ride until 6.05!! Loads of traffic in the same boat though!! Got out of Old Trafford on a champions league night quicker than that!! Well done to everyone who made today happen though, one to remember, what a pitch!! Made up for seeing that sign in the field for 4 years every time I drove past thinking it would never happen!!! 👍👏🏼 Well done City

1 hour ago, Peter Masters said:

I would say an encouraging start, few tweaks required if crowds continue to exceed 1200, proper Tannoy system and someone on the mic is a must to build up the atmosphere and add to the Stadium experience, very pleased for TCFC to be home

How many replica shirts did you sell then Pete 🤔 

Yes, you are correct but don't clubs communicate leading up to the game. I envisaged an exchange of 'match notification including colours' between the 2 clubs a week before the game? Truro sec will have advised club colours and Dorking should have picked up that a change of kit was required (or Truro could have even suggested it).

21 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Yes was there, stood by the Dorking dugout in the front the temporary bar. The manager is good entertainment.  Lol.

Ok so the kits issue is number one, should have been sorted way before the teams walked on to the pitch

There was a foul for the 1st Dorking goal

Dorking though should have had a penalty

She spent most of the game not making any decisions and trying to fly under the radar, probably aware of the eye catching, headline grabbing error of the kit-gate

Also felt she was quick to bring out the yellow card for our players

11 minutes ago, Craze said:

Ok so the kits issue is number one, should have been sorted way before the teams walked on to the pitch

She spent most of the game not making any decisions and trying to fly under the radar, probably aware of the eye catching, headline grabbing error of the kit-gate

The kit issue I agree with, the rest I don't,  she can only act on how she see's it. If Truro didn't commit so many fouls the yellow cards wouldn't of been needed.

19 minutes ago, silly billy said:

The kit issue I agree with, the rest I don't,  she can only act on how she see's it. If Truro didn't commit so many fouls the yellow cards wouldn't of been needed.

And thats cool, you're welcome to your opinion

8 hours ago, Craze said:

I agree, the one thing I would say, was that she was pretty consistent. She didn't give push or pulls to either side, but gave trips etc. A blatant push for the first goal, but then the next time the ball came into the box, Law dragged their player to the ground as he turned him and was about to shoot.

Both sets of players worked out they could push and pull as much as they wanted and she would let it go. I thought it added a bit to the game 🤣