Cornwall Football Forum

City's New Ground .... Not as in love with it as others are (yet)

Yesterday was more of an event than a mere football match. Great to see City back in the Duchy! If, after the new ground excitement dims City can average a 1,000 plus then they should be well pleased. Obviously if this side do better than expected there could be more.

The plus points - location works well. I travelled by train and it was cross the road, a ten minute P & R bus ride and you are left with just a 5 minute walk to the ground. For car travellers what could be easier? A huge car park close to the ground!  The pitch looked one of the best I've *ever* seen. It looks almost like a 3G offering!

What I'd like to know from those living more locally, is there anywhere within reasonable walking distance where one could get a pint and some food? Sometimes it good to have options and a club not having a monopoly position and a captive audience that might get charged over the odds. Most out of town stadiums, big and small, tend to see the 'revenue opportunities' of their relatively isolated location. For those who bought food and drink, was it good value? Was there much choice? I'm on a hospital advised special diet ATM so couldn't judge for myself.

Now before I go on and before I get piled on, these are my views of the ground as it is NOW. I know it is a 'work in progress'. For the first time, possibly, I might have to agree with Silly Billy! I thought the atmosphere, when one considers the crowd and occasion, was pretty flat IMO. I think the broadly open nature of the ground maybe the reason. Curiously, the same owners, have done a good job of building an atmosphere and identity at Cornwall RLFC.

The stand for me is too small, even if gates are in the 100s. When its tipping it down in November, more will want to take refuge in the stand and covered terrace, but with decent crowds will they be able to? So many seats were reserved, no doubt for corporates and local 'big wigs', this meant  available seating was relatively low. One small stand, one covered terracing and the rest is open. The side opposite the seating has nothing more a temporary bar. The pitch barrier viewing from here isn't great as the marked pitch is some distance off. The stuff of dreams, no.

I know a club house is to come. That will make it feel more like home. Overall, I felt the ground (at the minute) has a soulless and characterless feel. When the ground was being built, erroneously, I thought there would be a ground that Truro, Cornwall and beyond could take pride in. At the minute, pitch aside, it is less comfortable and less impressive than the former temporary (Step 3) ground at Plymouth Parkway. It has less seats that Torpoint Athletic!  It may not be modern, it may need improving, but I think I prefer the old school feel and atmosphere of, say,  Bickland Park! TBF, most new stadiums at all levels are quite utilitarian, maybe bar the Tottenham Hotspur one.

One quick fix - sort out the PA - it was virtually inaudible! I sat in the stand first half and went into the covered terrace for the second 45. Poor for both places.

I've moved house, so its much more of an effort to get to City home games. Two hours plus by car and a bit more by public transport now. I'll come to Langarth occasionally as I have an affinity for the team / club, but I doubt I'd want to come here every other week. 

I know the script this weekend is to write gushing things about the ground. It may just be me, but I don't really like it. In absolute fairness, the majority (and people more local to Truro than me) seemed quite impressed. They are the one's that matter in this debate. My contribution here is not to denigrate TCFC. I have an affinity with the club. However, I think in any discussion, it is good to have alternate viewpoints, without rancour. If you feel differently that is fine. It is not a matter of anyone being 'right' or 'wrong' it is just an individual perspective. Moreover, initial impressions can change either way. I'm open to this. 

I spoke to four visitors at the ground, one from Cheddar, one from Swindon, one from Bristol and one from Newcastle. All enjoyed their day out. The one from Cheddar liked the ground, the other three expressed differing levels of...well....indifference! It'll be interesting to see how away fans view the Langarth facility.

In ending, good luck City, I'll be watching the occasional game home and away still. Keeping NLS status and improving on last season surely the present aim?

I think all of this is valid enough, although even having from and back to Cirencester to see the game I'm still buzzing.

There are three main issues that contribute to the atmosphere (although I was in the stand behind the goal and it was fantastic to be in).

1) Lack of covered stands meaning noise just dissipates 

2) The distance between the stands and the pitch - the walk ways are too big, I don't know whether thats now a regulation for grounds?

3) A lack of one identity/mature support, with established songs etc. The club could do worse than appoint a handful of cheer leader types (think German football) to orchestrate the crowd.

I hope the locals perservere with this team and club. I really hope theres a future that regularly sees 2,000 baying Cornishmen turning up every week to shout themselves hoarse. If that happens we will be ap able to afford better players and have a real go at moving up a league.

You're right about the PA system, and the screen should have been bigger. I'd also like to see one of the corners filled in so that you have one long stand that wraps round - think that might help atmosphere.

For day one though, its so good. So much potential there. Everyone now needs to play their part.

Why was the covered seating or stands  not addressed in build phase ? This must be important part of the ground.  I know this is one area parkway had to get done so Truro could actually play at the ground.  This will put loads off in the winter months or many days we have of rain here.  

Firstly I will say I agree with a lot that's said above but after 'my club' has been homeless for 4 years I am seeing g far more positives than negatives. Given the amount of people who turned up I think the Club's organisation was excellent in terms of preparation,  turnstiles, stewarding, food and drink outlets etc. This is just phase 1, there is more to follow and we will have a set-up to be proud of.

I am hoping among the early priorities will be an improvement/increase in seating, cover and PA system. It is early days and it will all come in time.

For me, so far it's well done TCFC.

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Why was the covered seating or stands  not addressed in build phase ? This must be important part of the ground.  I know this is one area parkway had to get done so Truro could actually play at the ground.  This will put loads off in the winter months or many days we have of rain here.  

Yes, the stands do look a bit flatpack and the supporter and player facilities are temporary, but nobody should underestimate the achievement in getting a step 2 standard facility up and running. This time last year it looked impossible to most people (including myself) and little more than a pipe dream. It was vital this happened as I don't think Truro could have taken a 4th year of being homeless, the contribution of Eric Perez in buying the club, providing stability and driving the Langarth project should never be forgotten (hopefully he was there yesterday).

From what I've read, the vital components of the pitch and floodlights  are absolutely state of the art with no expense spared. The rest of it (including the 3G community pitch) will follow in years to come, and will hopefully be of the same standard. 

45 minutes ago, Brendan Jennings said:

Some small signs once you are walking across the park and ride car park but, not many. 

There’s none from the road is there?  I’ve no idea on how to get to the ground. I presume it’s the road to the right of the park n ride exit. Is it one road in and out?

I can't add anything to what's already been said - a great start and congratulations on getting it up and running when many including myself never thought it would happen.  As most of the infrastructure is temporary it will all get improved over time and I can understand why everything was made to a budget  and the ground is a blank canvas - but the important things were not skimped on:

• Floodlights at the corners looked top of the range.
  • Grass surface was superb and just watching the ball roll true and straight across the surface must be a first in Cornwall 🙂

Quick fixes & easy fixes

• Better PA 
  • Blank white advertising hoardings around the pitch to visually 'contain' the pitch so the footballers are visually separated from the spectators' bodies watching from the sides.  It will make the action stand out more.  Currently, the wire fencing and spectators create a visual distraction
  • Open the bus gate to exit the Park and Ride at the end of the match.  Left at 6pm after 1 hour of queuing.  It's probably only needed at the big games.

21 minutes ago, JJS said:

I can't add anything to what's already been said - a great start and congratulations on getting it up and running when many including myself never thought it would happen.  As most of the infrastructure is temporary it will all get improved over time and I can understand why everything was made to a budget  and the ground is a blank canvas - but the important things were not skimped on:

• Floodlights at the corners looked top of the range.
  • Grass surface was superb and just watching the ball roll true and straight across the surface must be a first in Cornwall 🙂

Quick fixes & easy fixes

• Better PA 
  • Blank white advertising hoardings around the pitch to visually 'contain' the pitch so the footballers are visually separated from the spectators' bodies watching from the sides.  It will make the action stand out more.  Currently, the wire fencing and spectators create a visual distraction
  • Open the bus gate to exit the Park and Ride at the end of the match.  Left at 6pm after 1 hour of queuing.  It's probably only needed at the big games.

With hindsight, would it have been better if Truro had played a friendly or two at Langarth to iron out the little niggles? 

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

There’s none from the road is there?  I’ve no idea on how to get to the ground. I presume it’s the road to the right of the park n ride exit. Is it one road in and out?

Park in the park and ride and walk towards the floodlights. 

7 hours ago, Graham Martin said:

Firstly I will say I agree with a lot that's said above but after 'my club' has been homeless for 4 years I am seeing g far more positives than negatives. Given the amount of people who turned up I think the Club's organisation was excellent in terms of preparation,  turnstiles, stewarding, food and drink outlets etc. This is just phase 1, there is more to follow and we will have a set-up to be proud of.

I am hoping among the early priorities will be an improvement/increase in seating, cover and PA system. It is early days and it will all come in time.

For me, so far it's well done TCFC.

All very fair points Graham!

16 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

With hindsight, would it have been better if Truro had played a friendly or two at Langarth to iron out the little niggles? 

Probably - but perhaps they wanted to leave the grass as long as possible and take no chances with it.  The weather has been very changeable over the last few weeks !

36 minutes ago, JJS said:

Probably - but perhaps they wanted to leave the grass as long as possible and take no chances with it.  The weather has been very changeable over the last few weeks !

It was simply a case of having to wait for all the right approvals, something made difficult by the scale of the project and the weather throughout winter and spring. In that context the club has done incredibly well, and there are some very exciting plans in place, either on paper or in motion.

On 11/08/2024 at 12:46, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Yesterday was more of an event than a mere football match. Great to see City back in the Duchy! If, after the new ground excitement dims City can average a 1,000 plus then they should be well pleased. Obviously if this side do better than expected there could be more.

The plus points - location works well. I travelled by train and it was cross the road, a ten minute P & R bus ride and you are left with just a 5 minute walk to the ground. For car travellers what could be easier? A huge car park close to the ground!  The pitch looked one of the best I've *ever* seen. It looks almost like a 3G offering!

What I'd like to know from those living more locally, is there anywhere within reasonable walking distance where one could get a pint and some food? Sometimes it good to have options and a club not having a monopoly position and a captive audience that might get charged over the odds. Most out of town stadiums, big and small, tend to see the 'revenue opportunities' of their relatively isolated location. For those who bought food and drink, was it good value? Was there much choice? I'm on a hospital advised special diet ATM so couldn't judge for myself.

Now before I go on and before I get piled on, these are my views of the ground as it is NOW. I know it is a 'work in progress'. For the first time, possibly, I might have to agree with Silly Billy! I thought the atmosphere, when one considers the crowd and occasion, was pretty flat IMO. I think the broadly open nature of the ground maybe the reason. Curiously, the same owners, have done a good job of building an atmosphere and identity at Cornwall RLFC.

The stand for me is too small, even if gates are in the 100s. When its tipping it down in November, more will want to take refuge in the stand and covered terrace, but with decent crowds will they be able to? So many seats were reserved, no doubt for corporates and local 'big wigs', this meant  available seating was relatively low. One small stand, one covered terracing and the rest is open. The side opposite the seating has nothing more a temporary bar. The pitch barrier viewing from here isn't great as the marked pitch is some distance off. The stuff of dreams, no.

I know a club house is to come. That will make it feel more like home. Overall, I felt the ground (at the minute) has a soulless and characterless feel. When the ground was being built, erroneously, I thought there would be a ground that Truro, Cornwall and beyond could take pride in. At the minute, pitch aside, it is less comfortable and less impressive than the former temporary (Step 3) ground at Plymouth Parkway. It has less seats that Torpoint Athletic!  It may not be modern, it may need improving, but I think I prefer the old school feel and atmosphere of, say,  Bickland Park! TBF, most new stadiums at all levels are quite utilitarian, maybe bar the Tottenham Hotspur one.

One quick fix - sort out the PA - it was virtually inaudible! I sat in the stand first half and went into the covered terrace for the second 45. Poor for both places.

I've moved house, so its much more of an effort to get to City home games. Two hours plus by car and a bit more by public transport now. I'll come to Langarth occasionally as I have an affinity for the team / club, but I doubt I'd want to come here every other week. 

I know the script this weekend is to write gushing things about the ground. It may just be me, but I don't really like it. In absolute fairness, the majority (and people more local to Truro than me) seemed quite impressed. They are the one's that matter in this debate. My contribution here is not to denigrate TCFC. I have an affinity with the club. However, I think in any discussion, it is good to have alternate viewpoints, without rancour. If you feel differently that is fine. It is not a matter of anyone being 'right' or 'wrong' it is just an individual perspective. Moreover, initial impressions can change either way. I'm open to this. 

I spoke to four visitors at the ground, one from Cheddar, one from Swindon, one from Bristol and one from Newcastle. All enjoyed their day out. The one from Cheddar liked the ground, the other three expressed differing levels of...well....indifference! It'll be interesting to see how away fans view the Langarth facility.

In ending, good luck City, I'll be watching the occasional game home and away still. Keeping NLS status and improving on last season surely the present aim?

In Threemilstone, just across from the park and ride there is a pub and a social club. Or there are plenty of pubs in Truro, if you want to have a drink there and then get the park and ride up. 

3 hours ago, deancourt said:

I do not recall seeing any advertising at the ground with regard to forthcoming reserve team games. Certainly no ticket prices, although I understand that season ticket holders can get in free of charge. 

I think I recall seeing Saturday’s fixture coming up on the electronic scoreboard as I thought what a great opportunity for the likes of the SWPL sides to get a chance to play on that surface.

3 hours ago, deancourt said:

I do not recall seeing any advertising at the ground with regard to forthcoming reserve team games. Certainly no ticket prices, although I understand that season ticket holders can get in free of charge. 

They are playing at the stadium on Saturday and then again on Wednesday against St Day. 

It's £6 for adults, £3 for under 18s and free for under 12s.

On 12/08/2024 at 18:08, Football not soccer said:

In Threemilstone, just across from the park and ride there is a pub and a social club. Or there are plenty of pubs in Truro, if you want to have a drink there and then get the park and ride up. 

Or in the industrial estate opposite there is Mason's Brewery, he was formally brewer at Driftwood Spars. Some good beers on offer and decent range of styles. 

I am just hoping we don't all end up with parking tickets. I came from my holiday accommodation at Trevellas so only a short trip but found the parking to be confusing. There was supposed to be a section especially for the football club and car park stewards/signing but I didn't see anyone other than a young lad by the hospitality parking. 

Like many finding a space near the ground was not possible so had to park the other side of the park and ride car park and walk towards the floodlights. 

Decent ground once inside which will only improve. I stood behind the goal in the covered terrace. Decent atmosphere in there with a few die hard Truro fans. 

I was stood by some guys from Newquay and another guy next to me wasn't a regular. I think most, like me, were there to see a home coming and a new ground 

Well, I went along to the ground today.  Followed the crowds!  There was a group in front of ne crossing from TMS asking which way it was though. 

Great set up and pitch looked incredible, well done Gary.  Certainly helps when you have a day like today up there though, playing/watching there on a winters day when it’s windy is going to be brutal. 

Truro were quality today against a poor Worthing side who offered nothing!

I think some were complaining about the PA system before, well I think they’ve sorted that out!  But jeez, the bloke talked more than he needed.  Also there were 1564 (I think) in the ground and they were fully aware of the score!!

I enjoyed it 

On 26/08/2024 at 18:09, St Darren said:

Well, I went along to the ground today.  Followed the crowds!  There was a group in front of ne crossing from TMS asking which way it was though. 

Great set up and pitch looked incredible, well done Gary.  Certainly helps when you have a day like today up there though, playing/watching there on a winters day when it’s windy is going to be brutal. 

Truro were quality today against a poor Worthing side who offered nothing!

I think some were complaining about the PA system before, well I think they’ve sorted that out!  But jeez, the bloke talked more than he needed.  Also there were 1564 (I think) in the ground and they were fully aware of the score!!

I enjoyed it 

I've moved house so going to City regularly now not an option. It struck me too that the Sports Hub (a duff name for the ground) would not be a place I'd want to watch football in the depths of winter. Overall as I originally posted, I think it is a pretty soulless and characterless venue (ATM). A new ground less impressive than Bolitho wasn't what I was expecting.

The pitch however is the best I've ever seen at non-league level. 

Luckily, for City, others are more easy to impress! In a minority of one I guess. I'd even take old school character and atmosphere of Buckland Park over Langarth!

Tin hat on! That said, all the best City! A promising start to the season. Go well 

6 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I've moved house so going to City regularly now not an option. It struck me too that the Sports Hub (a duff name for the ground) would not be a place I'd want to watch football in the depths of winter. Overall as I originally posted, I think it is a pretty soulless and characterless venue (ATM). A new ground less impressive than Bolitho wasn't what I was expecting.

The pitch however is the best I've ever seen at non-league level. 

Luckily, for City, others are more easy to impress! In a minority of one I guess. I'd even take old school character and atmosphere of Buckland Park over Langarth!

Tin hat on! That said, all the best City! A promising start to the season. Go well 

BUCKLAND  OR BICKLAND  BSOTT ?

Personally I don't know what everyone was expecting?

You cant build a new ground with a pre installed atmosphere 🤣

The key work is ground...its NOT a stadium, same as its the National League NOT the Premier League.

Rome wasn't built in a day! and what has been achieved in the time frame is amazing and i have been well impressed with what has been put in place, and im lead to believe that as the club find their feet at the new ground it will only get better.

JW

21 hours ago, mattelot said:

BUCKLAND  OR BICKLAND  BSOTT ?

Both are great in differing ways. Bickland my  favourite Cornish ground, but Wendron & Sticker up there too 

Buckland....everyone knows facilities & people there are great. Hopefully the team can catch up now!

35 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Personally I don't know what everyone was expecting?

You cant build a new ground with a pre installed atmosphere 🤣

The key work is ground...its NOT a stadium, same as its the National League NOT the Premier League.

Rome wasn't built in a day! and what has been achieved in the time frame is amazing and i have been well impressed with what has been put in place, and im lead to believe that as the club find their feet at the new ground it will only get better.

JW

Parkway over one summer transformed their ground (but sadly not their pitch) I expected  a facility at least as good as Bolitho Park. It'll be no fun out in the open wintertime at the Sports Hub!

All this "oo, it'll be cold at Truro City in the winter"  - name me a ground anywhere in the country that isn't bloody freezing when the weather turns nasty!! It's what scarves and woolly hats are for.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to the new ground yet. I am waiting for it to turn a bit chillier! 😀

5 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Both are great in differing ways. Bickland my  favourite Cornish ground, but Wendron & Sticker up there too 

Buckland....everyone knows facilities & people there are great. Hopefully the team can catch up now!

Parkway over one summer transformed their ground (but sadly not their pitch) I expected  a facility at least as good as Bolitho Park. It'll be no fun out in the open wintertime at the Sports Hub!

Bucklands grandstand has a very poor view and a large section of standing blocked off by dug outs but yes....still a great venue

8 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Penlee Park is nice

20 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

That comment to me shows your lack of construction knowledge, renovating and building something from scratch in an allotted timeframe are two completely different things.

Opinions are like bumholes, personally Truro's facility's will take some beating, and will also only continue to get better.

JW

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

That comment to me shows your lack of construction knowledge, renovating and building something from scratch in an allotted timeframe are two completely different things.

Opinions are like bumholes, personally Truro's facility's will take some beating, and will also only continue to get better.

JW

This. The knowledge that funds are in place for first 5000 and 10000 with more covered seating will help.

Ultimately the only thing that’s missing is some songs bar spelling our name.

Need a few young lads to go on the piss and come up with some.

The club should sponsor that activity and make a quirky video of the players listening in 

On 30/08/2024 at 12:00, Jeremy Wade said:

JW

And, as i said, **in my opinion** ATM the new City ground feels soulless and is not on a par with the Parkway facility, so it has been 'beaten'. Lots of people easily pleased. Fine, if you like it, as many seem to do. Feels pretty utilitarian to me. Issue closed from my perspective.

On 29/08/2024 at 16:39, Thecupfootballblogger said:

All this "oo, it'll be cold at Truro City in the winter"  - name me a ground anywhere in the country that isn't bloody freezing when the weather turns nasty!! It's what scarves and woolly hats are for.

Disclaimer: I haven't been to the new ground yet. I am waiting for it to turn a bit chillier! 😀

OK, I have now been to the Truro City Stadium/Truro Sports Hub (it really needs to settle on one name) and I have to say that I am a fan of it.

Yes, it is definitely a work in progress but just to have any kind of decent stadium in Truro after all the shenanigans of the past few years is pretty impressive.

It will definitely get chilly up there in the winter - the metal barriers on the terracing will be particularly, erm,  interesting; the signage to the ground needs massively improving; and the traffic queue to get away after a match could be a problem but, generally, I like the look and feel of the ground.

I watched Truro City Reserves beat Wendron 5-4 in a crazy match under the lights in front of a more than decent SWPL crowd of 278 and really enjoyed the experience.

I think a visit to Truro will be a big day out for lots of away teams in the SWPL this season. There was certainly a good Wendron contingent present on Wednesday night. 

All in all, I think there is an awful lot to be positive about at the new ground. A really worthwhile and exciting to the Cornish sporting landscape.

14 minutes ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

OK, I have now been to the Truro City Stadium/Truro Sports Hub (it really needs to settle on one name) and I have to say that I am a fan of it.

Yes, it is definitely a work in progress but just to have any kind of decent stadium in Truro after all the shenanigans of the past few years is pretty impressive.

It will definitely get chilly up there in the winter - the metal barriers on the terracing will be particularly, erm,  interesting; the signage to the ground needs massively improving; and the traffic queue to get away after a match could be a problem but, generally, I like the look and feel of the ground.

I watched Truro City Reserves beat Wendron 5-4 in a crazy match under the lights in front of a more than decent SWPL crowd of 278 and really enjoyed the experience.

I think a visit to Truro will be a big day out for lots of away teams in the SWPL this season. There was certainly a good Wendron contingent present on Wednesday night. 

All in all, I think there is an awful lot to be positive about at the new ground. A really worthwhile and exciting to the Cornish sporting landscape.

You wouldn't want to be up there tonight that's for sure.

Just echoing what everyone else has said really but wow, it was cold there last night with just a moderate wind.  Wendron must have felt at home! 

Clearly the ground is not yet finished and when it is, there will be much more shelter and it will be an impressive venue.  Will be interesting to see if it can retain an atmosphere though like Bickland Park can. (Biased as usual!)

Amazing playing surface by the way. No one can compete with that.

19 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Looking at the pictures of the TCS, as it seems to be called now, notice that there is quite a distance from the pitch perimeter to the touchline and goallines. Is this to accommodate rugby league (or even rugby union) in the future?

Surely that is a key part of their business plan going forward.  That must be the reason they have invested so much into the playing surface, to allow both sports to be played on it at the same time.  Otherwise, none of it makes sense commercially.

30 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Looking at the pictures of the TCS, as it seems to be called now, notice that there is quite a distance from the pitch perimeter to the touchline and goallines. Is this to accommodate rugby league (or even rugby union) in the future?

Speedway track ?