Evesham United    2-0             Bristol Manor Farm

Falmouth Town     1-0        Tavistock

Helston Athletic     2-2         Willand Rovers

Malvern Town     4-1           Didcot Town       

Thatcham Town    1-0          Shaftesbury

Yate Town            2-1        Bishops Cleeve

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 13 August 2024
1 hour ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

No problem for Mousehole 0-2 win (never doubted it), the biggest shock of the night is Attendance 88 at Helston, which is woeful for the Southern League 😳

It must be so disappointing for the club considering they are playing highest ever standard the club has known! 

13 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

We’ll play a lot worse than we have in our opening two games and win games this season. 

Agreed. Falmouth needed a great defensive display in the 2nd half and it was an inspired performance from young keeper Morgan Coxhead. Diving at the forward's feet, saves, punches. He looks much improved from last season.

Saw the Westbury v Helston match on Saturday and neither of those sides looked a patch on Tavistock. 

2 hours ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

No problem for Mousehole 0-2 win (never doubted it), the biggest shock of the night is Attendance 88 at Helston, which is woeful for the Southern League 😳

We all know that without their ‘sugar daddy’ there would be no Southern League football at Helston. Even with improvements at the ground it is still a modest home, with their support even more so. Let’s hope  their principal backer doesn’t lose interest in the club.

88 fans is woefully bad and not sustainable for southern league football.

It also sounded like a cracking game shame not many where there .  

The question is now with famouth and Truro both playing in higher leagues where are the fans helston need coming from ?? 

I genuinely believe clubs need to look at fixtures and see what is going on around them and move fixtures very early on to get the best crowds possible. 

Helston could have played Wednesday night for example. 

In a couple weeks on a Tuesday night.

Buckland v St Austell

Brixham v St Blazey

St Austell Res v St Blazey Res.

All fixtures on the same night. Away support for both first teams could be very low or less watching the reserves. Either way, not helpful to get the best out of these fixtures. 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

88 fans is woefully bad and not sustainable for southern league football.

It also sounded like a cracking game shame not many where there .  

The question is now with famouth and Truro both playing in higher leagues where are the fans helston need coming from ?? 

Is there any work going on to engage the locals a bit more? No matter how you look at it, an attendance of 88 in a town of just about 12,000 is really poor. I expect there'll be more than that in a Helston pub on Saturday lunchtime watching Ipswich v Liverpool.

46 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

Is there any work going on to engage the locals a bit more? No matter how you look at it, an attendance of 88 in a town of just about 12,000 is really poor. I expect there'll be more than that in a Helston pub on Saturday lunchtime watching Ipswich v Liverpool.

Also sounded like it was game of the night. 4 great goals.   2 missed penalty, a red card for Crago on his  home debut.  
I do hope the crowds pick up. 

parkway falling to a narrow defeat. 3 nil down so did will to fight back. Still early and 2 tough games.  6 goals conceded with. New defence maybe will take some time to gel. 
a run of another tough lot fixtures coming up with Tiverton away bank holiday Monday  . 

45 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Also sounded like it was game of the night. 4 great goals.   2 missed penalty, a red card for Crago on his  home debut.  
I do hope the crowds pick up. 

parkway falling to a narrow defeat. 3 nil down so did will to fight back. Still early and 2 tough games.  6 goals conceded with. New defence maybe will take some time to gel. 
a run of another tough lot fixtures coming up with Tiverton away bank holiday Monday  . 

Luke McCormick in goal for Parkway last night. Zak Baker recalled from loan by Argyle yesterday, obviously required by them as cover with the sale of Michael Cooper to Sheff Utd being imminent. Hopefully, Baker will return when a replacement is secured in the last few weeks of the window. Is a reminder though of the risks behind bringing in a loan goalkeeper from a league club.

Sounded like an impressive second half showing to follow the impressive first half display on Saturday. Seems like the new manager and new look side aren't too far away from getting points on the board, just a bit of consistency needed.

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Just a thought. It seems that Helston have moved away even more this season from starting local players. Sensible decision in some respects given the travelling in this league.  Also management team are Devon-based I believe so training in Saltash twice a week which is a commitment for a West-Cornwall based player.  Does all this have an effect on attendances? Parents/friends/relatives not attending home games to support.  Crowd have less affinity with non-local players etc.

That being said, Falmouth during their hey-day had a heavy East Cornwall/Devon bias and the crowds didn't seem to suffer.

Everyone has a model to work with so how Helston fund it is down to them, each club is unknown but plenty of speculation.

Helston must be disappointed, it was certainly heavily advertised, doesn't help Falmouth being at home. I would have thought a Wednesday night might have brought in a few more but we will never know, but has been said in the past, better planning to avoid other clubs would certainly help the floating fan.

Mousehole's average hasn't moved much in the last couple of seasons, Falmouth we know are well supported, and Truro everyone thinks will drop dramatically, who knows, only time will tell. Though some of those people said Truro weren't returning home and the ground wouldn't be ready so it's only guess work and speculation.

Guess it makes the forum a little more interesting. Hopefully they will all do well within their own model.

On 13/08/2024 at 22:10, John Thomas Allcock said:

Helston probably has the biggest online following if YouTube stats are anything to go by. I regularly receive comments from viewers up country and abroad who watch Helston’s games and say that Helston is their second team or the non-league club that they follow. But yes, the home fixtures  of the respective Cornish clubs could be better arranged.

I think clubs have to inform the southern league of their home midweek night so they could have sorted it better some years ago Exmouth moved to Wednesday to avoid Tuesday clashes with Exeter City I think Tavistock did the same to miss plymouth argyle 

21 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Five times less than Truro City 😉

Lets see what sort of attendances Truro get when the novelty wears off. With all the razzmataz of the "Footballs coming home" stuff going on i think the attendance last Saturday was predictable. Truro will get very good crowds but once winter sets in and if they have nothing to play for crowds will drop.  

We had a near 2000 crowd last boxing day for a league game and a 1500 crowd in the playoffs at Bickland Park and average just under 500/ game. But we never take our attendances for granted and know full well if the club is struggling on the pitch it will reflect  with the attendance figures.

Bickland Park is still the best atmosphere in Cornwall by a country mile and there is nowhere like the Packet End.

And yes...everyone needs to blow their own trumpet at times. :) 

Good luck to all the Cornish sides today. UTMT.

12 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Lets see what sort of attendances Truro get when the novelty wears off. With all the razzmataz of the "Footballs coming home" stuff going on i think the attendance last Saturday was predictable. Truro will get very good crowds but once winter sets in and if they have nothing to play for crowds will drop.  

We had a near 2000 crowd last boxing day for a league game and a 1500 crowd in the playoffs at Bickland Park and average just under 500/ game. But we never take our attendances for granted and know full well if the club is struggling on the pitch it will reflect  with the attendance figures.

Bickland Park is still the best atmosphere in Cornwall by a country mile and there is nowhere like the Packet End.

And yes...everyone needs to blow their own trumpet at times. :) 

Good luck to all the Cornish sides today. UTMT.

I said that somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I was at Buckland last season twice and it has its own unique charm. I hope to get there again this season. Good luck in the SL.

Fal Tn a proper Cornish football institution whom I've a lot of respect for. Helston are where they are because of one man's money. A modest ground and even more modest attendances. They are not viable at SL without 'sugar daddy' (sadly).