Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 13 August 2024

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 13 August 2024

k my 30 mins write up of last nights match between Newquay 3- St Day 1

Newquay started the match on fire and Louis Price was given the St Day defence a rough time and he put Newquay 1-0 up with a well place shot .

Newquay went 2-0 when the outstanding Jacob Grange put over a rcoss which caught out ex Newquay goalie Harry Salmon out and sailed into the goal 

St Day pulled a goal back from the pen spot with what looked like a clear pen from where i was ex Blazey player Kyle Marks scored from the spot . 

Jacob Grange  then went on a long run with St Day players left in his wake only thing missing was a goal at the end which he deserved 

I had enough then soaking wet with a poor little dog suffering it was time to go home 

St Day had a very experianced side in Jacob Cleverly ED Timmons ,Phil  Cattran Kirk Davis and more exerianced players severel from Mullion and ex Newquay goalie young Harry Salmon .

Ok my MOM from what i saw for Newquay Jacob Grange and for St Day Harry Salmon .Good start for Newquay And many more to come 

I thought i'd bring my notepad back into the forum and have a post. 

Newquay 3 (3) - (1) 1 St.Day 

Not been to Newquay much but first visit in a long time to watch this game. The scene was set pitch looking alright. Goalposts still those large solid metal posts. Always find it strange how they aren't the regular ones used by every club. 
Grabbed a hot choc some would class this as water with some choc flavouring. 

Anyway to the game. 
Newquay were out the blocks very fast being their first game of the season a bit behind others and at home. One of the favourites for the league in most eyes with incomings and progress made. Newquay took an early lead when Price beat the offside trap and slotted past the keeper at the 2nd attempt. Newquay dominated the first 20-25 minutes controlling the ball and opening up St Day with great runs from Price and McConie (believe his name was). Soon the 2nd for Newquay came when the winger put in a cross which somehow went over the keeper into the far post. 2-0 Newquay.

This 2nd goal and some words from the touchline seemed to Fire St Day up. Johnson down the right and Marks/ Cam on the left now starting to get in behind. Cleverly picking up the ball and making some great runs really had Newquay on the back foot. Some great shots going in but nothing that really got the Newquay keeper struggling. However a Run down the right from Johnson getting into the box and after a few passes and a cross from Cattran got blocked by the hand of the Newquay defender. The ref pointed to the spot. Marks stepped up and slotted away nicely with the keeper going the right way he still didnt get there. 2-1 Game on. 

St.Day dominated for a long period controlling the game but Newquay looked strong on the break. However kind of against the run of play Newquay found themselves in with a mix up at the back. There he was Price slotting away. 3-1 Newquay. St Day keeper made some cracking saves including a triple save to keep the score down going into the break. St day would be gutted to concede with about 5 left of the half.

2nd half St.Day seemed to of found a way of dealing with Price. Davis (Davies) not sure. Had a great time with price in the 2nd half and really got on top of Price with frustration getting to the lad with some late tackles but nothing bad. St Day controlled the ball but didn't manage to create anything clear cut even with some great balls going in the box. 

Changed made from both sides. As it seemed to patter off in the 2nd half. Newquay start their season with 3 points. St Day would be happyish with the game as lessons learnt. 

Next up for each side.:

Newquay away to Callington 16th. Callington with a nice 6-1 at Bodmin. (edited)

St Day away on 17th to Bodmin.

Ref had a decent game few errors in my opinion but hey were human we make mistakes. But 8/10.

Linesmans did very well, Bray made some great calls and Hoon dropped his flag but still managed to give a cracking offside call. 

Newquay looking for more volunteers if anyone wants to help them on match days. 

Not sure on crowd numbers but i would say about 120 maybe. 

Might visit Bodmin on Saturday. 

Title Odds:

Newquay 2/1
Wendron / Liskeard 3/1

Penzance 4/1

Callington, Wadebridge 7/1

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Shame to see such a successful club like Bodmin. Struggling like it is.  A million miles away from ever getting to western league or southern league.  Wouldn’t have said that years ago.  

Successful ’team(s)’, rather than a successful club, that’s the problem. If the club is sustainable, you’re not far off being successful. Clubs like Bodmin need to hold their nerve and build incrementally, and the right players, right supporters and right investors and right helpers will follow.

On 16/08/2024 at 13:42, sportsman10 said:

Shame to see such a successful club like Bodmin. Struggling like it is.  A million miles away from ever getting to western league or southern league.  Wouldn’t have said that years ago.  

Was always built on sand. No support and a terrible ground, the only thing that made them dominant for a spell was one man's drive, commitment, contacts and, dare I say it, money. You could see it heading this way even when Darren Gilbert was still there.

Clubs like Buckland, Parkway, Tavi, Exmouth, Falmouth and Mousehole (who were once direct rivals in the SWPL, and in some cases, well below them) always looked like they had a plan and strategy for where they wanted to go. Bodmin never seemed to.

1 minute ago, Ian Pethick said:

Was always built on sand. No support and a terrible ground, the only thing that made them dominant for a spell was one man's drive, commitment, contacts and, dare I say it, money. You could see it heading this way even when Darren Gilbert was still there.

Clubs like Buckland, Parkway, Tavi, Exmouth, Falmouth and Mousehole (who were once direct rivals in the SWPL, and in some cases, well below them) always looked like they had a plan and strategy for where they wanted to go. Bodmin never seemed to.

A lot of that is true but I always liked Priory Park as a ground. Needed tidying up but it's a proper non-league ground. Things go in cycles and I am sure Bodmin will be OK in the long run. Football changes all the time so never write anyone off.