(Callington win on pens 5-4)
Credition United   1-3   Buckland Athletic
Hallen   2-3   Portishead Town
Odd Down (BATH)   0-2       Brislington
Oldland Abbotonians   1-0   Cirencester Town
Sandhurst   4-1   Nailsea & Tickenham
St Blazey   3-1   Saltash United
Street   2-3   Elburton Villa

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Friday 23 & Saturday 24 August 2024

A hard-fought and entertaining encounter at Blaise Park saw hosts St Blazey earn a place in the next round with a 3-1 victory over Saltash.

There was never much to choose between these two sides, leading to a good Vase tie that was generally played in a good spirits and mostly in bright sunshine.

Saltash took the lead after about 15 minutes when a free-kick from the left was swung into the box and the ball was tidily poked home.

The equaliser from St Blazey came after one of those 'playing out from the back goes wrong' moments. To be fair, Saltash had been quite effective in building from the back but, on this occasion, it broke down. The keeper was caught on the ball outside the box, panic ensued and the Blazey attacker did well to pull the back from the byline for Rowe, I think it was, to tap in. 1-1.

The hosts took the lead before half-time with the goal of the game. The winger cut in from the left and hit a cracking shot from 25 yards out that went into the bottom of the net at the far post. I was right behind him when he struck the shot and it was always going in. Super goal.

So 2-1 to Blazey at the half.

The second half was very evenly fought, with chances at both ends and one good old cup tie goalmouth scramble. The match could have gone either way but was finally settled with a few minutes to go with a controversial third for the hosts.

A Blazey forward was clearly in an offside position as the ball was played forward and the lino duly flagged. Momentarily, Saltash seemed to have cleared any danger and the ref played on and the flag went down. Immediately, though, Blazey regained possession and fired home a third from distance. Saltash were not best pleased (understatement!) but, after a long consultation between ref and linesman, the goal stood. It would have been an interesting one for VAR!

Overall, a decent cup tie. Both sides looked OK without looking like they will be pulling up many trees this season. But it's early in the campaign and they both have plenty to build on. 

8 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

A Blazey forward was clearly in an offside position as the ball was played forward and the lino duly flagged. Momentarily, Saltash seemed to have cleared any danger and the ref played on and the flag went down. Immediately, though, Blazey regained possession and fired home a third from distance. Saltash were not best pleased (understatement!) but, after a long consultation between ref and linesman, the goal stood. It would have been an interesting one for VAR!

It is not an offence to be in an offside position. 

The assistant should only flag it the player, from an offside position, plays the ball, interferes with opponent by challenging for the ball, an obvious action that clearly impacts opponent, blocks opponents line of vision or attempts to play a ball thats close which impacts opponent ability to play ball, or gains advantage from a rebound or save.

If none of the above offences happen the referee was right to over rule the AR and the AR should have delayed raising the flag. 

2 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

It is not an offence to be in an offside position. 

The assistant should only flag it the player, from an offside position, plays the ball, interferes with opponent by challenging for the ball, an obvious action that clearly impacts opponent, blocks opponents line of vision or attempts to play a ball thats close which impacts opponent ability to play ball, or gains advantage from a rebound or save.

If none of the above offences happen the referee was right to over rule the AR and the AR should have delayed raising the flag. 

The argument of the Saltash defenders was that the offside player's movement HAD impacted their positioning and their movement. The linesman raising his flag also has an impact on the players although, quite rightly, we are always told to 'play to the whistle'.

There was no criticism of the officials in my post - I think it was just a very difficult decision to make and I was just explaining what I had seen happen. I suspect it would have been one of those occasions when opinions on the decision would have been divided. That's life, that's football.

It was a good strike by the Blazey player, though!

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Elburton Villa going up to Western League high flyers Street and winning must be one of the Vase stories of the day.

Street with a certain stu bowker signed on. Not sure he played yesterday 

Elburton a bit like ivybridge packed with players who been around the higher leagues. Good team.  

3 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Elburton Villa going up to Western League high flyers Street and winning must be one of the Vase stories of the day.

Their 1st 'goal' was one of the worst acts of 'sportsmanship' I have seen. Not how I would want to win a game, in fact I'd be embarassed if that goal helped my side win a game.

5 hours ago, Fish said:

How many subs can be used in the FA Vase? Is it 3 from 5 as last year or has the rule changed this year? 👍

5 from 5

3 hours ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

The argument of the Saltash defenders was that the offside player's movement HAD impacted their positioning and their movement. The linesman raising his flag also has an impact on the players although, quite rightly, we are always told to 'play to the whistle'.

There was no criticism of the officials in my post - I think it was just a very difficult decision to make and I was just explaining what I had seen happen. I suspect it would have been one of those occasions when opinions on the decision would have been divided. That's life, that's football.

It was a good strike by the Blazey player, though!

I know you weren't criticising I was offering an explanation as to the likely reason ref over ruled and sounds like he was right to do so with the additional information. The position of the attacker is not considered interfering with an opponent. Assistant has flagged to early, i.e. before an offside offence has occurred. 

Always a challenge for referee when this happens, but as you say it's play to the whistle and with the available information sounds like the ref was spot on so well done to him.

Report  Saturday 24th August 

Barnstaple Town 3-2 Torpoint Athletic

Jewson Western League, Premier Division

With Robbie Morris at Mill Road Stadium

Torpoint Athletic will be feeling that they had been robbed of a well earned point when Ricky Marinaro scored the winner for Barnstaple Town in last seconds of the game. The visitors matched their hosts on Saturday afternoon in a hotly contested match.

In the opening minutes of the match, the visitors probed the Barum defence with some decent half chances, but in the tenth minute Josh Parry for hosts breaks clear of the visiting defence, his shot from the edge of the area goes just wide of the post, thanks to a touch from visiting keeper, Tyler Coombes who has returned to Torpoint from Buckland during the week.

Just past the quarter hour mark Torpoint took the lead when a flick by Luke Cloke finds Mason Elliot to fire home, beating the keeper at the near post.

Just over ten minutes later, Barnstaple level the scores when Ricky Marinaro fires home from distance into the top corner.

Just past the half hour mark the visitors had a chance to take the lead when Luke Cloke is brought down in the area, the referee makes no mistake and points straight to the penalty spot, Cloke’s penalty is saved by home keeper James Weeks.

Ten minutes after the break, Barnstaple take the lead for the first time when they have a corner which results in the a goal mouth scramble, Josh Parry gets the loose ball and blasts home from close range.

On the 70th minute Gene Price for the visitors has low angle shot from the edge of the area, which is saved well low by Weeks. A minute later Tommy Rogers for the visitors has angled shot the rebounds off the post and hooked away by Coombes.

In the final minute of normal time, Torpoint equalise, when Luke Cloke heads home a from free kick with jubilant celebrations from the Torpoint players and management team, but heartbreak was to follow.

In third minute on stoppage time a Gabby Rogers corner finds Ricky Marinaro to fire home the winner, then it was Barnstaple’s turn for jubilant celebrations.  

Barsnatple Town: J. Weeks, E. Eashbrook, C. Roach (L. Potter 76), N. Colley, B. Montague, L. Gardener, R. Marinare, R. Keates. T. Rogers (C. Deemer 83), G. Rogers, J. Parry.

Subs not used:S. Piper, J. Williams

Sin BinB. Montague

Barnstaple Scorers:R. Marinaro 27, 90+3, J. Parry 55.

Torpoint Athletic: T. Coombes, H. Jeffery, M. Edwards, S. Morgan (G. Price 45), F. Chapman, C. Holder, J. Pope, L. Vooght (K. Berry 76), T. Ramsey, L. Cloke, M. Elliot.

Subs not used: S. Rutter

Yellow Card: H. Jeffery, M. Edwards.

Torpoint Scorers :M. Elliot 16, L. Cloke 90.

Referee: Mike Lazarus

Att: 189

MOM: Josh Pope (Torpoint Ath)

22 hours ago, The Torpoint Massive said:

Report  Saturday 24th August 

Barnstaple Town 3-2 Torpoint Athletic

Jewson Western League, Premier Division

With Robbie Morris at Mill Road Stadium

Torpoint Athletic will be feeling that they had been robbed of a well earned point when Ricky Marinaro scored the winner for Barnstaple Town in last seconds of the game. The visitors matched their hosts on Saturday afternoon in a hotly contested match.

In the opening minutes of the match, the visitors probed the Barum defence with some decent half chances, but in the tenth minute Josh Parry for hosts breaks clear of the visiting defence, his shot from the edge of the area goes just wide of the post, thanks to a touch from visiting keeper, Tyler Coombes who has returned to Torpoint from Buckland during the week.

Just past the quarter hour mark Torpoint took the lead when a flick by Luke Cloke finds Mason Elliot to fire home, beating the keeper at the near post.

Just over ten minutes later, Barnstaple level the scores when Ricky Marinaro fires home from distance into the top corner.

Just past the half hour mark the visitors had a chance to take the lead when Luke Cloke is brought down in the area, the referee makes no mistake and points straight to the penalty spot, Cloke’s penalty is saved by home keeper James Weeks.

Ten minutes after the break, Barnstaple take the lead for the first time when they have a corner which results in the a goal mouth scramble, Josh Parry gets the loose ball and blasts home from close range.

On the 70th minute Gene Price for the visitors has low angle shot from the edge of the area, which is saved well low by Weeks. A minute later Tommy Rogers for the visitors has angled shot the rebounds off the post and hooked away by Coombes.

In the final minute of normal time, Torpoint equalise, when Luke Cloke heads home a from free kick with jubilant celebrations from the Torpoint players and management team, but heartbreak was to follow.

In third minute on stoppage time a Gabby Rogers corner finds Ricky Marinaro to fire home the winner, then it was Barnstaple’s turn for jubilant celebrations.  

Barsnatple Town: J. Weeks, E. Eashbrook, C. Roach (L. Potter 76), N. Colley, B. Montague, L. Gardener, R. Marinare, R. Keates. T. Rogers (C. Deemer 83), G. Rogers, J. Parry.

Subs not used:S. Piper, J. Williams

Sin BinB. Montague

Barnstaple Scorers:R. Marinaro 27, 90+3, J. Parry 55.

Torpoint Athletic: T. Coombes, H. Jeffery, M. Edwards, S. Morgan (G. Price 45), F. Chapman, C. Holder, J. Pope, L. Vooght (K. Berry 76), T. Ramsey, L. Cloke, M. Elliot.

Subs not used: S. Rutter

Yellow Card: H. Jeffery, M. Edwards.

Torpoint Scorers :M. Elliot 16, L. Cloke 90.

Referee: Mike Lazarus

Att: 189

MOM: Josh Pope (Torpoint Ath)

Impressed with Barnstaple when they don’t have a actual out and out striker chances were made and misses will be punished against more footballing opponents, I still think the Cornish sides once the winter kicks in will pick up a lot of points