Cornwall Football Forum

It's good to hear that a professional opinion of what the sport is lacking at this level is being listened to, and although professional football is a world apart, there is a lot to be learnt by those who are prepared to listen.
Perhaps Neil is prepared to impart his advice at a seminar organised by the league, it would soon identify the clubs who are really keen to improve their set ups.

As usual, Neil Price hits the nail on the head regarding the football scene in Cornwall.

Had to rewind and listen again to the part where he said that that he's heard about some players getting "£200 or even £300" per game to play step 6 football. If there is any substance in that, then I find it staggering (and almost reckless).

Neil at Launceston and a few other clubs are now moving away from paying experienced players high wages and are instead bringing the youngsters through which is far more sustainable for the clubs.

It may take two or three years for the young players to gain the experience needed to compete with the old guard but it is surely the way forward for football in Cornwall?

10 hours ago, We Two said:

It's good to hear that a professional opinion of what the sport is lacking at this level is being listened to, and although professional football is a world apart, there is a lot to be learnt by those who are prepared to listen.
Perhaps Neil is prepared to impart his advice at a seminar organised by the league, it would soon identify the clubs who are really keen to improve their set ups.

Played 25 professional games about 40 years ago

Agree with some of the stuff he said and agree clubs need to be sustainable but he also sounds as if he's blaming the money for being the reason they can't compete? I don't think Wendron pay very much, someone said on here that Callington don't pay at all, Holsworthy won't be chucking money around and all are competitive and have picked up results against some of the more renowned 'big spenders' already this season.

The club is doing very well by all accounts and hopefully they can continue to progress but hopefully if they eventually finish at the right end of the table, the league won't have lost all it's merit and become known as a youth league which is what he is almost suggesting it should be.  For years it's been the highest attainable standard of football in the county until very recently and he just seems to want to devalue it because he can't beat the teams that pay a bit more money. 

7 hours ago, The Governor said:

Neil at Launceston and a few other clubs are now moving away from paying experienced players high wages and are instead bringing the youngsters through which is far more sustainable for the clubs.

It may take two or three years for the young players to gain the experience needed to compete with the old guard but it is surely the way forward for football in Cornwall?

Which other teams have you seen that are focusing on youth?

8 hours ago, Dom Baxter said:

Agree with some of the stuff he said and agree clubs need to be sustainable but he also sounds as if he's blaming the money for being the reason they can't compete? I don't think Wendron pay very much, someone said on here that Callington don't pay at all, Holsworthy won't be chucking money around and all are competitive and have picked up results against some of the more renowned 'big spenders' already this season.

The club is doing very well by all accounts and hopefully they can continue to progress but hopefully if they eventually finish at the right end of the table, the league won't have lost all it's merit and become known as a youth league which is what he is almost suggesting it should be.  For years it's been the highest attainable standard of football in the county until very recently and he just seems to want to devalue it because he can't beat the teams that pay a bit more money. 

Bude, holsworthy, dobwalls from the games I have watched this season and maybe penzance?

I enjoyed listening to Neil. And why wouldn’t we listen, he has played at the highest level of the game. 
I do however feel he is being rather naive in thinking football clubs in the SWPL want to or should be part of a collective to feed higher standard, incidentally which will be outwith the county apart from 4 or 5 clubs. So actually where is the benefit for the county he talks about. 
His point on paying wages which are unsustainable, my first reaction was, ah so it was him undercover on here that constantly had a pop at Bude for their player budget of £250k 😉 for the past couple of seasons.  My genuine response was, this is the world we live in, if someone is prepared to spend that money, then really it is up to them. I’d also add, are clubs really spending £300 on a player? He’ll know better than us 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can see from the progress Launceston are making, he is a good coach. I do hope he continues to build a good squad and can start pushing into the top 6. What he has done for Launceston is how I see the journey for Bude going over the next couple of seasons. 

20 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Played 25 professional games about 40 years ago

I don’t know if you’re being disrespectful with this quote or not , but to make it as a pro is the hardest part . Neil came through Watford youth set up which back then was very forward thinking and ahead of its time. 

He has also managed higher than any other manager in our league and feel he deserves all our respect .

i also come from football outside this region and money down here is way ott at step 6 level 

fully endorse and agree with all Neil said and launceston is progressing really well good luck to them 

Its really good Listening to Neil Price on the Podcast he talks so much sense and is genuinly truthful unlike some managers who say we dont pay there players nothing .Neil should do a talk about his career and maybe write  a book but he can leave the bit out when he passed to John Barnes to run down the wing at Villa Park and put over the cross with which George Reilly headed the goal that took Watford to Wembley instead of my Plymouth team .

Me and the Mrs at the time was shouting at Someone to stop Barnes Leigh Cooper should of kicked Barnes over the stand but no one could catch Barnes he was class .

That was the nearest i will ever get to see a FA cup final inolving my team Plymouth 

I wonder if Elton John Watford Chairman would go into the changing rooms and sing to them before the match i can see it now him singing Sacrifice or Dont go BREAKING MY HEART . I bet Elton rewarded the team for that win and getting Watford to Wembley but losing to Everton 

Elton John and Graham Taylor where sitting right opposite me and the wife ELTON had a straw boater hat on with the Watford Colours wish i had the camera i got now just had a pocket camera then .

One last thing thought Plymouth where brilliant today vs QPR battled right to the end just like Rooney did when he was playing 

ould catch Ba

I kinda get it but the league has been getting worse standards wise due to clubs with ambition going up etc… it comes off as he wants everyone to copy him so he has a chance , everyone is different, the money is a massive issue but I will never tell someone how to spend there money nobody has the right to do that, FairPlay to launceston club has always been a good club with good people I just hope the preachy tone is turned down a bit 

3 hours ago, Brummie Simon said:

I don’t know if you’re being disrespectful with this quote or not , but to make it as a pro is the hardest part . Neil came through Watford youth set up which back then was very forward thinking and ahead of its time. 

He has also managed higher than any other manager in our league and feel he deserves all our respect .

i also come from football outside this region and money down here is way ott at step 6 level 

fully endorse and agree with all Neil said and launceston is progressing really well good luck to them 

Nope...not being disrespectful...just pointing out it was a long time ago

9 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Nope...not being disrespectful...just pointing out it was a long time ago

I don’t get your point , does it matter how long ago it was .

Pele played the game along time ago still one of the best to do it . 

As a nation we all clutch to 1966 World Cup winners 

I feel how long ago it was is Irrelevant. 

It wouldn't have mattered if Neil only played 5 games. It's just being around proper environments

Fact is the man was a professional, played the game at the highest level , fa cup final too , managed step 2/3 I for one admire him and like to talk football with him.

He has  knowledge of the game and it’s refreshing to listen to . Agree or not I personally felt your comment was ill judged and pointless . 

On 23/08/2024 at 23:03, Dom Baxter said:

Noticed a fair few already

Bodmin,Millbrook, Saltash, Launceston, for Starters

• 3 weeks later...