Cornwall Football Forum

Player suspensions incoming?

Austen Booth currently at Torquay, received a 9 month ban this week for approximately 300 bets made between 2017 to 2021. Think there are a few more national league cases coming up in the next few weeks from what I’ve heard but not my business to say really unless it’s already been confirmed like Austen’s.  You probably remember Ed Palmer, Shane White, and Ryan Brett being in the news for the same thing a couple of seasons ago when they played for City. The FA seem to clamp down on players at National league level around the country quite a bit for some reason 🤔🤔🤔

Does seem hypocritical when football, and football broadcasting, is absolutely awash with money from big gambling. You only have to listen to Talksport or watch ITV4 and Sky Sports for any length of time to find yourself bombarded with ads (usually featuring former players). These all tell us that chucking money away is central to the "big match experience." I find it pretty depressing, especially as I know betting addicts that have had their lives ruined.

Silly boys though, they must know the rules by now. If the rumours are true, we'll see how Truro handles this. They didn't even acknowledge the suspensions handed down to  their players a few years ago.

The trouble with knowing the rules now is that they probably didn't know the rules in 2017 when all these charges start.

To me the only issue that counts is if they have bet on their own clubs.

And also if players haven't bet on games since 2021 they've obviously learnt the rules....why punish then in 2024?

I think to have any betting partners as sponsors is fine as long as you don’t punish players for using said partners , it’s disgusting how they are happy to take money from them but then go to the moral high ground when it’s suits them hopefully a big personality will be brave enough to call bullsh*t soon and to hold the fa to account 

On 24/08/2024 at 06:34, St Darren said:

Probably because those players don’t have the finances to defend themselves!

yet the Premier League and The FA continue to allow Betting companies to sponsor shirts and grounds.  

Betting companies are soon to be stopped from being a shirt sponsor. That’s why Chelsea didn’t have a sponsor for their shirts at the start of last season. Not sure of the finer details but it’s being phased out. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Betting companies are soon to be stopped from being a shirt sponsor. That’s why Chelsea didn’t have a sponsor for their shirts at the start of last season. Not sure of the finer details but it’s being phased out. 

Banned from the start of the 2025/26 season. Although tellingly, the wording is a ban on "front of shirt sponsorship."