Cornwall Football Forum

Player suspensions incoming?

Austen Booth currently at Torquay, received a 9 month ban this week for approximately 300 bets made between 2017 to 2021. Think there are a few more national league cases coming up in the next few weeks from what I’ve heard but not my business to say really unless it’s already been confirmed like Austen’s.  You probably remember Ed Palmer, Shane White, and Ryan Brett being in the news for the same thing a couple of seasons ago when they played for City. The FA seem to clamp down on players at National league level around the country quite a bit for some reason 🤔🤔🤔

Does seem hypocritical when football, and football broadcasting, is absolutely awash with money from big gambling. You only have to listen to Talksport or watch ITV4 and Sky Sports for any length of time to find yourself bombarded with ads (usually featuring former players). These all tell us that chucking money away is central to the "big match experience." I find it pretty depressing, especially as I know betting addicts that have had their lives ruined.

Silly boys though, they must know the rules by now. If the rumours are true, we'll see how Truro handles this. They didn't even acknowledge the suspensions handed down to  their players a few years ago.

The trouble with knowing the rules now is that they probably didn't know the rules in 2017 when all these charges start.

To me the only issue that counts is if they have bet on their own clubs.

And also if players haven't bet on games since 2021 they've obviously learnt the rules....why punish then in 2024?

I think to have any betting partners as sponsors is fine as long as you don’t punish players for using said partners , it’s disgusting how they are happy to take money from them but then go to the moral high ground when it’s suits them hopefully a big personality will be brave enough to call bullsh*t soon and to hold the fa to account 

On 24/08/2024 at 06:34, St Darren said:

Probably because those players don’t have the finances to defend themselves!

yet the Premier League and The FA continue to allow Betting companies to sponsor shirts and grounds.  

Betting companies are soon to be stopped from being a shirt sponsor. That’s why Chelsea didn’t have a sponsor for their shirts at the start of last season. Not sure of the finer details but it’s being phased out. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

Betting companies are soon to be stopped from being a shirt sponsor. That’s why Chelsea didn’t have a sponsor for their shirts at the start of last season. Not sure of the finer details but it’s being phased out. 

Banned from the start of the 2025/26 season. Although tellingly, the wording is a ban on "front of shirt sponsorship."

• 3 weeks later...

Austen Booth now released (or sacked) by Torquay after receiving his 9 month suspension.  Reading the details of his conviction by the FA, he actually bet on his side losing matches that he played in. In my opinion, very lucky to get away with 9 months. A superb player, but this and effectively going on strike at Taunton last season, seriously tarnishes his reputation.

On 21/09/2024 at 16:59, Footy follower said:

Betting on random games and betting against your own team are totally different......one is unforgiveable and the other is "a normal male pastime"

Shouldn’t be allowed to play again, how’s he not been charged with match fixing?

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, swjoduk said:

If you look here you will see a few more naughty boys caught out for betting. If you read the reports you will see what they were charged with

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/written-reasons

Third drop down box down, select E8 failure to comply with betting rules

Am I reading this correctly? Looks to me like a current Truro City squad member is appealing a 6 month suspension. 

To be honest they were all young lads betting a few quid on football matches . Bit stupid but most probably didn’t understand the severity of it. 
banning someone for 6-9 months for 10 quid here and there 4 years ago seems a bit excessive 

you can go out and deliberately injure a player or break his leg and get 3 game ban 

but put a bet on in 2017 on Stoke v Wigan and get 6 month ban. 

a fine and attend a discussion on dangers of gambling would have been more suitable. But this is the FA 

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

To be honest they were all young lads betting a few quid on football matches . Bit stupid but most probably didn’t understand the severity of it. 
banning someone for 6-9 months for 10 quid here and there 4 years ago seems a bit excessive 

you can go out and deliberately injure a player or break his leg and get 3 game ban 

a fine and attend a discussion on dangers of gambling would have been more suitable. But this is the FA 

The game is happy to take all the sponsorship money from the gambling websites but then come down hard on players who get drawn in.

I am sure football is an attractive enough product to appeal to other sponsors, so as not to have to rely on gambling sites, and all the problems with addiction they bring.

10 hours ago, The Town Man said:

The game is happy to take all the sponsorship money from the gambling websites but then come down hard on players who get drawn in.

I am sure football is an attractive enough product to appeal to other sponsors, so as not to have to rely on gambling sites, and all the problems with addiction they bring.

The gambling industry is being phased out of shirt sponsorship at top level but it’s already too late. There’s an epidemic on the horizon. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

The gambling industry is being phased out of shirt sponsorship at top level but it’s already too late. There’s an epidemic on the horizon. 

The exact wording is that all gambling company logos will be removed from the "front of their playing shirts" by season 2025/26.

Still leaves the back of shirts, sleeves, tracksuits and warm up kit etc, etc.

I agree though, we are on the verge of an epidemic. Lack of action by government (not just the FA and other sporting bodies) has brought us to this.

20 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Betting on your own team is a bit suss though 

3 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

Betting on your own team is a bit suss though 

True but you’re talking about 20 year old lads who see thier team on an app and put 10 quid on here and there. Just immaturity rather than any bigger money match fixing operation. Just heavy handed from the Fa as usual. 

In effect a suspended sentence 👍

28)Considering the documentary evidence provided by the Parties, as well as the aggravating 
factor above, but also the Player’s clean disciplinary record, co-operation with the 
investigation and other mitigating factors as outlined, the Commission concluded that a 
reasonable and proportionate fine shall be in the sum of £500 (Five Hundred Pounds 
Sterling) with a six-month suspension from all football and football related activity. That 
suspension shall be suspended until the conclusion of the 2025/26 football season. In the 
event of any such similar breach the suspended period of suspension will be activated with 
effect from the date of the final determination of the proceedings before the Regulatory
Commission dealing with the new breaches, in addition to any penalty for the new 
breaches imposed by that Regulatory Commission.

On 09/10/2024 at 10:17, Ian Pethick said:

The exact wording is that all gambling company logos will be removed from the "front of their playing shirts" by season 2025/26.

Still leaves the back of shirts, sleeves, tracksuits and warm up kit etc, etc.

I agree though, we are on the verge of an epidemic. Lack of action by government (not just the FA and other sporting bodies) has brought us to this.

That’s exactly the issue. With the exception of Austen Booth’s betting on his own sides, you can’t exactly blame players for betting when, even after this ban, you’ll see the Sky Bet Football League Championship fixture between Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion at the Bet365 Stadium.

18 hours ago, tfenlon said:

That’s exactly the issue. With the exception of Austen Booth’s betting on his own sides, you can’t exactly blame players for betting when, even after this ban, you’ll see the Sky Bet Football League Championship fixture between Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion at the Bet365 Stadium.

There’s an epidemic coming. There’s betting everywhere and every club’s got a betting partner. All you need is your phone to call or use the app. I’ve got a friend who was a data analyst for a betting company and he told me that if someone is making good money they cancel their account. I’ve got another mate who actively looks for people who’ll allow him to use their name to bet as they won’t take bets from him as he makes too much money. 
To balance this, a family member and another friend have lost huge amounts betting and I’ve never placed a bet in my life. 
It’s coming but that’s just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Matthews said:

There’s an epidemic coming. There’s betting everywhere and every club’s got a betting partner. All you need is your phone to call or use the app. I’ve got a friend who was a data analyst for a betting company and he told me that if someone is making good money they cancel their account. I’ve got another mate who actively looks for people who’ll allow him to use their name to bet as they won’t take bets from him as he makes too much money. 
To balance this, a family member and another friend have lost huge amounts betting and I’ve never placed a bet in my life. 
It’s coming but that’s just my opinion. 

Betting companies only exist for one reason, to take everyone's money. Punters aren't meant to win. That is how they can afford to sponsor Premier League clubs for instance. The returns are huge.

So true gents, spot on really! Last year I paid for 2 holidays from what I’d won in my gambling accounts mainly on football and darts! Only Turkey for a week and a 4 day city break in Krakow but very nice. I had a £920 win with Betway, drew out the £900 left about £20 in there and like Tom said they cancelled my account the next day! Tried getting my other £20 back for about a month and gave up! They’re based in Malta and impossible to get hold of!! This year I was £300 down just betting on the euros!! It’s a mugs game really!! I just do fun bets now after that, couple of quid here and there but you’re better off not betting at all really unless you’re a very disciplined person and don’t go chasing your losses! My grandad used to do the horses every day and I’d ask how he was getting on and he’d say “you never see a bookie on a bicycle boy” think that sums it up perfectly really!!! 👍