Cornwall Football Forum

Ruining The Lower Leagues...

As the title says, this issue is starting to plague the lower leagues. 

I'm talking about clubs fielding numerous first team players from higher leagues, in reserve team games in division 4 E/W

Not only is this giving said clubs a major advantage on the day, but it's turning division 4 into a league way harder than it should be, and it's starting to feel like a waste of a Saturday to a lot of players.

What can be done about this?

You've got clubs who struggle to field an 11 every week, playing against teams who decide to drop 7 first team players down to division 4 for the weekend. How on earth is this fair? It completely ruins the integrity of the game.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts about this subject, as from my point of view it's ruining the lower leagues completely, and making it even harder for already struggling clubs to keep players motivated to play.

If you're playing a reserve team and their firsts haven't got a game that weekend, it's over before it even begun. 

There’s also the fact that by dropping so many players down you’ve basically told the reserve lads they aren’t good enough and then will struggle to keep them.

meaning a team will fold again just cos teams want the three points on the board early doors 

Iv been playing local football for over 20years and as frustrating as it is it’s always happened .

I remember playing a game end of season about 13 years ago where we needed to win to get promoted but the opponents turned up with 2 1st team players who made the difference by scoring the goals they needed so we lost . 

the local game has lost a massive amount of players when I was 18 playing down dracena in Falmouth you had Falmouth Albion 1st and 2nd Falmouth athletic 1st and 2nds and Falmouth town 3rds all playing at dracena playing fields and none of them teams struggled for players . also up Penryn they had 4 teams . 

It’s just the way it was,is and will continue to be unfortunately.

In 40 seasons of involvement in local league junior football the rules have been tweaked on many occasions over the years but clubs(and smart secretaries) have found ways around this.I have admittedly seen both the good side of this(loading up) and on the opposite side(when opponents have done the same).Maybe it’s not in the spirit of the game but no rules were broken and ultimately a manager is judged on his success unless the remit is to develop young players

.The banning of dual signings has helped the lower leagues but the current set up does favour the clubs with multi teams within the St Piran leagues.There is no easy remedy to suit everyone.The one club village sides will continue to struggle until extinction.Whist the bigger clubs will swoop up the commited players who wish to continue.The leagues can be won or lost in the first 3 weeks and last 3 dependant on how the fixtures fall.If anyone thinks they have all the answers then bring it up in advance of the next AGM I’m sure Chippy will be happy to hear your thoughts

IMG_1409.thumb.jpeg.844ba6865083e605b8d527f00ffccc9a.jpegFrom 1st Sept it’s max 3 from league(s) above. Probably frustrating for a few sides now before that date but in some cases due to cricket, weddings, Boardmasters, holidays and still shopping with the Mrs etc it could be the factor between fulfilling the fixture or not getting a side together

Sorry @Pitty but I think you've fallen for the terminology trap.  I think @Spiritoftheblues means divisions not leagues and that's covered by Rule 18o which I'll grant you is broadly the same.  I and others around the country have been in discussions with the FA Grassroots Manager about both of these rules, but in particular 18l, and there is a review of SCOR underway which I and other League Secretaries have an input to.  We'll see what comes of that towards the end of this year.

This is a long way from being a new rule and really the nub of it is how to define a first team player without penalizing the genuine reserve team players and in this respect both 18l and 18o have to be essentially the same.  How do you define a first team player in the first few weeks of the season?  The reserves playing up to get the games played could be one of many scenarios.  There was only one minor tweak to 18o this year to align with 18l but if any clubs wish to put their proposals forward (from the club Secretary) they will of course be put to the AGM next year.

One thing not to do is ask what the rule is on here or, as I saw yesterday, on Facebook.  Most of the replies to that FB post were plain wrong and if you take the advice from there and fall foul don't come crying.  Read the League Rules which are available on the Full-Time site and if you're still unsure get in touch with me.

I may well be in the minority and I am not saying it's the ideal solution but I think a manager has the right to pick whatever team he wants to. For the reasons outlined above, anything else can be construed as messy and unnecessarily complicated. If player X is registered, he's eligible (unless suspended or cup-tied of course). Nobody complains when their opposition is weakened by players called into their opponents' higher league side.