Dorking Wanderers    2-1    St Albans City
Enfield Town    0-1    Hemel Hempstead Tn
Farnborough    0-2    Tonbridge Angels
Hornchurch    0-0    Welling United
Maidstone Utd   0-1    Weston-super-Mare
Salisbury    2-1    Boreham Wood
Truro City    5-0    Worthing
Weymouth    0-1    Eastbourne Borough

1,500+ again, third game in a row. Some of those will be people who carried on following Truro 'in exile', some will be holidaymakers and/or away fans, some will be people that wouldn't otherwise have gone to a football match.  

BUT many (most?) of those must be people who would have been watching their football somewhere else today (and last Saturday, and a couple of weeks ago).  So which clubs are seeing their attendances negatively affected by Truro's return to the Duchy? 

37 minutes ago, Gary Hocking said:

1,500+ again, third game in a row. Some of those will be people who carried on following Truro 'in exile', some will be holidaymakers and/or away fans, some will be people that wouldn't otherwise have gone to a football match.  

BUT many (most?) of those must be people who would have been watching their football somewhere else today (and last Saturday, and a couple of weeks ago).  So which clubs are seeing their attendances negatively affected by Truro's return to the Duchy? 

I think the attendances will drop to around a thousand, maybe less when it settles down. I spoke to a few people that came down from up county, because they wanted you see a new non league ground. 

When it's raining and people are playing themselves, how many will attend then?

Just now, Football not soccer said:

I think the attendances will drop to around a thousand, maybe less when it settles down. I spoke to a few people that came down from up county, because they wanted you see a new non league ground. 

When it's raining and people are playing themselves, how many will attend then?

I'm sure you're right, but even 1,000 people going to a game in Truro rather than to A N Other fixture is bound to have a financial impact on those other clubs. Defo not saying this is either a good thing or a bad thing, but interesting nonetheless, and there must be a Treasurer or two around the Duchy who's currently waking up in the middle of the night worrying about how Truro's return will affect their Club.  1,500+ at Truro didn't seem to impact attendance at Helston vs Mousehole today - the last time the two clubs played (which was also on a bank holiday) attendance was 416 and today it was 387, but those 1,500+ Truro spectators must have come from somewhere. 

10 hours ago, Gary Hocking said:

I'm sure you're right, but even 1,000 people going to a game in Truro rather than to A N Other fixture is bound to have a financial impact on those other clubs. Defo not saying this is either a good thing or a bad thing, but interesting nonetheless, and there must be a Treasurer or two around the Duchy who's currently waking up in the middle of the night worrying about how Truro's return will affect their Club.  1,500+ at Truro didn't seem to impact attendance at Helston vs Mousehole today - the last time the two clubs played (which was also on a bank holiday) attendance was 416 and today it was 387, but those 1,500+ Truro spectators must have come from somewhere. 

Looking at the average attendances for the clubs that contended at the top of the NLS last season, regular gates of 1500 are what you need to compete in this league financially. It looks like John Askey and Alex Black have been very astute in their signings, but I would think the wage bill will be up on last season. It will have cost money to relocate the new players (and manager) down to West Cornwall. There was even talk from Salisbury recently that Truro are effectively full time (as others are in this league).

As others have mentioned, will be interesting to see how the gates hold up as we go deeper into the season, and the weather changes. I'm wondering as well whether we'll see a slight dip this Saturday for the 3rd home game in quick succession, it might be beyond the pockets of the casual floating support (especially with a full program of SWPL and St Pirans matches with far lower prices to get in).  I wonder what level of paying customers the club based their budgets on, and whether they are up on this currently.

Regarding where they have come from, hope that 1,000 supporters (whether new or returning) could be found in Truro, a city with a population of just under 19k. This would be something that the marketing people should be all over, and spreading the word locally. 

Something I would say though, and it will be very controversial on here, is to watch the Falmouth figures. Will be interesting to see if they dip with City being back on the scene locally. The boom in their attendances, while undoubtedly due to their revival and string of recent successes under Andrew Westgarth, also coincided with the local rivals being out of the picture.

I'm ducking for cover as I hit the "submit reply" box...

2 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Looking at the average attendances for the clubs that contended at the top of the NLS last season, regular gates of 1500 are what you need to compete in this league financially. It looks like John Askey and Alex Black have been very astute in their signings, but I would think the wage bill will be up on last season. It will have cost money to relocate the new players (and manager) down to West Cornwall. There was even talk from Salisbury recently that Truro are effectively full time (as others are in this league).

As others have mentioned, will be interesting to see how the gates hold up as we go deeper into the season, and the weather changes. I'm wondering as well whether we'll see a slight dip this Saturday for the 3rd home game in quick succession, it might be beyond the pockets of the casual floating support (especially with a full program of SWPL and St Pirans matches with far lower prices to get in).  I wonder what level of paying customers the club based their budgets on, and whether they are up on this currently.

Regarding where they have come from, hope that 1,000 supporters (whether new or returning) could be found in Truro, a city with a population of just under 19k. This would be something that the marketing people should be all over, and spreading the word locally. 

Something I would say though, and it will be very controversial on here, is to watch the Falmouth figures. Will be interesting to see if they dip with City being back on the scene locally. The boom in their attendances, while undoubtedly due to their revival and string of recent successes under Andrew Westgarth, also coincided with the local rivals being out of the picture.

I'm ducking for cover as I hit the "submit reply" box...

My understanding from those close to the club is that we still have the smallest budget in the league, but this will grow if a number of conditions are met. Namely crowds continue to be above expectations, and more commercial partners come forwards. The club itself is really happy with the initial engagement from the fans.

I understand that the money is already in place for the stadium to move to 5,000 next year and 10,000 the following year - you'd therefore think there must be some science behind continuing to grow and invest in the ground that links directly to rising attendances. Else why do it?

Honestly, this is the first time I've started to believe that one or two more promotions could be possible, but only going to be so if attendances get close to 2000 in this league and double that in the league above.

I think if Truro can average 1000 this year they’d do well.  They’ve been fortunate having Dorking first game with the attention that they bring.  There’s been a thousand drop off since then.  There were lots there yesterday that would normally be playing themselves , then there’s the fair weather supporters. 

I think for games through December to march, crowds will be around the 600-800 mark which would be good. 

I admire your optimism Craze, but for Truro to get 2 promotions the investment will be massive, you’re talking millions both off the pitch and on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

I think if Truro can average 1000 this year they’d do well.  They’ve been fortunate having Dorking first game with the attention that they bring.  There’s been a thousand drop off since then.  There were lots there yesterday that would normally be playing themselves , then there’s the fair weather supporters. 

I think for games through December to march, crowds will be around the 600-800 mark which would be good. 

I admire your optimism Craze, but for Truro to get 2 promotions the investment will be massive, you’re talking millions both off the pitch and on the pitch. 

City's average NLS attendance in their last full season at Treyew (2018/19) was 441. So I would say that getting 800 upwards on a regular basis would be a real achievement, and give the club something to build on. Getting promoted out of, or even consolidating within, the National League would take serious external investment, and I'm not sure that Truro would want to go down that road again. An incredible job has been done in getting a step 2 ready ground up and running from the barely started building site that was there 12 months ago, and also getting a serious step 2 manager in to oversee a successful (so far) squad overhaul after the reports of them only having 9 players back in June.  I do wonder though as to where  the new owners see the club in 5 years time, and how they plan to get there.

Read stories on various forums claiming that Chesterfield's current owners put £2m of their own money into getting them promoted back into the Football League, and that several players were on multi year contracts worth £5k plus a week. That's the type of air that City would be breathing at that level.

In my view, a bit of drama free, mid table safety, would be quite pleasant this season.

Ian Pethick.... just for your information the 2021 census gives Truros population as 23,000+ and Kenwyns population as 7,000+. Kenwyn is effectively part of Truro- Langarth, Truro college and even Truro hospital are all in Kenwyn so Truro's real population is 30,000+.

Cornwalls population is about 550,000 roughly the same as  Bristol sustain 2e they manage to sustain 2 EFL clubs and a whole host of non league clubs.

I think there potential to grow Truro's attendances without impacting on other Cornish clubs.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Bank Holiday Monday 26 August 2024
54 minutes ago, Graham Martin said:

Ian Pethick.... just for your information the 2021 census gives Truros population as 23,000+ and Kenwyns population as 7,000+. Kenwyn is effectively part of Truro- Langarth, Truro college and even Truro hospital are all in Kenwyn so Truro's real population is 30,000+.

Cornwalls population is about 550,000 roughly the same as  Bristol sustain 2e they manage to sustain 2 EFL clubs and a whole host of non league clubs.

I think there potential to grow Truro's attendances without impacting on other Cornish clubs.

Interesting take.  Bristol is only 90 minutes from London. Hour from Birmingham therefore the pull of players that they can take from those areas is much greater then what any team in Cornwall would be able to do. Bringing in better players and better names would then encourage more spectators to go!!

Cornwall has always been a predominantly rugby county.  I bet there were a few rugby supporters that would go to watch Truro or the pirates instead of football. 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Interesting take.  Bristol is only 90 minutes from London. Hour from Birmingham therefore the pull of players that they can take from those areas is much greater then what any team in Cornwall would be able to do. Bringing in better players and better names would then encourage more spectators to go!!

Cornwall has always been a predominantly rugby county.  I bet there were a few rugby supporters that would go to watch Truro or the pirates instead of football. 

The closest comparison in Cornwall is probably the Cornish Pirates. Playing in the 2nd tier of English club rugby union, their average attendances over the last 3 seasons have been around the 1500-1600 mark. Truro City would be probably be very happy with that.

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

Can I ask what car you're driving to get from Bristol to London in 90 minutes?🤨

Also, as a very mild factor to this , is Truro reserves. 

Maybe ,with the league they are in, some of the supporters from the Cornish Clubs, will want to visit the new ground.

What is the charge for entry..£5 ..for the reserves..?

You may get, a few coming along, for their games, all adds to the coffers! 

Just to help the club along , in general.

All positives, in my opinion.