Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 27 August 2024

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 27 August 2024
21 minutes ago, Paul said:

A very open league this season. Could be a very intresting run in for the title come the end of the season. 

I'll leave it to others to say if that is because the general standard has levelled up or downwards, but it would be great going into the last month with several teams involved . A very short, 30 game league season doesn't leave much margin for error if you have a spell of poor results though.

You hear that all the time about how good leagues are. With so many cornish and devon clubs moving up to higher leagues, the players with ambition, talent etc will want to test themselves. However, it maybe suited to the younger players with less commitments rather than players that bit older who have families etc. They will tend to play more local but still very good players. So maybe not such a bad standard after all. Callington and Elburton pulling off great results in the Vase on Saturday as well. 

To be fair you only have to look at St Austell this season. Struggling massively in the league above.  But put St Austell back in this league and they walk it without breaking sweat.  The standard above have improved massively but below it’s getting left behind.  

It’s not even the end of August!!!! My mate from Bridgwater text me yesterday and said “see your teams doing well, all 4 Cornish teams and Ivybridge all in the bottom 6”. Told him to text me back in March and talk about it then because that won’t be the case in 6 months!! Don’t think we should be judging teams after 4/5 games of a 30/40 game season just yet!!? 🤔😀

11 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

The standard above have improved massively but below it’s getting left behind.  

The Western League is also seeing their better teams promoted, so don't really understand how the standard has improved massively. The standard at Step 5 is expected to be better than Step 6 - that's how a pyramid system is meant to work.

With a more limited pool of experienced players available, there are now a large number of very talented youngsters who are getting earlier opportunities than they would have had previously; they are the future!

2 minutes ago, John Mead said:

The Western League is also seeing their better teams promoted, so don't really understand how the standard has improved massively. The standard at Step 5 is expected to be better than Step 6 - that's how a pyramid system is meant to work.

With a more limited pool of experienced players available, there are now a large number of very talented youngsters who are getting earlier opportunities than they would have had previously; they are the future!

It was more a point if you look at teams of the past. They normally win the league then almost instantly challenge at top of western league. See parkway , tavi, helston  Falmouth etc . That isht happening now  

St Austell can’t find a win yet would still walk  the league below   . I just think the standard got bigger . It is good  the youngsters are getting a chance now but who do you honestly see in this league making a go of it in western league ?   

17 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

It’s not even the end of August!!!! My mate from Bridgwater text me yesterday and said “see your teams doing well, all 4 Cornish teams and Ivybridge all in the bottom 6”. Told him to text me back in March and talk about it then because that won’t be the case in 6 months!! Don’t think we should be judging teams after 4/5 games of a 30/40 game season just yet!!? 🤔😀

I’m still convinced ivybridge will be up near top 6 .  not convinced on the others yet. 

Managed to get to 9 games so far this season, a mix of SWPL & Western League stuff. No disrespect intended but I've yet to witness a decent game. 

Hopefully the 100mph headless chicken approach may just be an early season trait. Things may calm down a bit during September and we'll see less of the freak results & get some proper Football.

Can't see the Liskeard blip lasting long.

Perhaps some of our younger players are struggling to get Boardmasters out of their systems.

Slightly disrespectful to those playing at Step 6 when a few say how poor the standard is. As alluded to above, we see so many of our Clubs playing the highest level we've seen across football in Cornwall. There's still plenty of talent in the SWPL that Step 5 Clubs would love to have and the pool of players isn't any bigger.

Just take a look at the predictions league; no-one, including me, had Bodmin down for a win last night (only 2 draws). Think it's fair to say it's a great result for Bodmin who clearly executed a game plan. Players like James Lorenz, Dan Jennings, Matty Andrew etc. have proven their worth over the years and have the success to back it up. It may not be the case of Liskeard being poor on the night but Bodmin being better and riding the storm when needed. It's great to see the competition in the League and every side feeling like they have something to play for!

To echo what @Ian Pethick said, it's a small League and the margin for error is so small now. Very early days but the pressure will start shifting around those making a play for the title.

Camelford and Callington held each other to an entertaining 1-1 draw last night with both  teams having chances to take all three points.

With reg introducing a few new youngsters to Camelfords line up last night, who brought energy and excitement to their play—something they’ve been missing so far this  season. 

Camelford, who haven’t really gotten started yet this season and are still awaiting their first win, took the lead after 10 minutes. The ever-impressive Cardiff went on a jinking run from wide, ending with a powerful strike from 12 yards, slotting into the bottom corner.

Camelford were slightly on top in the early period, but after half an hour, Callington started to take control and pressed the Camelford goal. They put Colwill into action after a deep cross found a free header, leading to Colwill making a point-blank save with his body.

Five minutes later, Callington deservedly got their equalizer with a classic center-forward’s goal. Pinning the defender with his back to goal 10 yards out, he managed to turn and get his shot off, finding the bottom corner. Callington were firmly on top and looked likely to get their second, but Camelford defended well throughout the team and reached the half-time break at 1-1.

The second half saw both teams having an even amount of play and creating plenty of chances to take the lead, but both keepers were inform  making a few impressive saves to keep the game level.

A draw was a fair result, but it would have meant more to Camelford after an extremely slow start to the season.

The game was extremely well reffed which helped to an entertaining game of football. 

7 hours ago, RAPPO said:

See that Bridgwater parted company with their joint managers today. They almost made it to September. 

Wonder how many managers they will have gone through when he texts you in 6 months time.😁

Just watched a very good, well disciplined and promising Bodmin team beat Liskeard and Newquay struggle to break down a well organised Truro, two good games of football and thought this league will be very competitive this year. Some promising youngsters and was entertained in different ways at both games.

If you are comparing this league with previous seasons, I'd very much argue that the standard has improved if you remove the top two in previous years. Last season top two and Blazey from the previous season had players that had dropped down or were capable of playing at a higher level which in itself brought plenty of moaning. Now due to Cornish clubs playing at a higher level it has supposedly dropped. So what, look what's above it, but look at some of the youngsters and enjoy what your seeing. Future to me looks good, in fact looks very promising. 

11 hours ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

Just watched a very good, well disciplined and promising Bodmin team beat Liskeard and Newquay struggle to break down a well organised Truro, two good games of football and thought this league will be very competitive this year. Some promising youngsters and was entertained in different ways at both games.

If you are comparing this league with previous seasons, I'd very much argue that the standard has improved if you remove the top two in previous years. Last season top two and Blazey from the previous season had players that had dropped down or were capable of playing at a higher level which in itself brought plenty of moaning. Now due to Cornish clubs playing at a higher level it has supposedly dropped. So what, look what's above it, but look at some of the youngsters and enjoy what your seeing. Future to me looks good, in fact looks very promising. 

I will have to agree there are a lot of young lads going under the radar what I have seen of Bodmin they are a young team with one or two experienced older heads watched them play Camelford they will surprise a few but a great result against liskeard by the sounds of it