Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Wednesday 4 September 2024

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Wednesday 4 September 2024

Great result for Truro Reserves vs Wendron but they did have the class player Jamie Lowry and the star for the future Rhys Simmonds i bet he ends up playing in Truros 1st team and then onto Plymouth Argyle i saw him come on vs Newquay and i thought this lad is good hes going far and i think he will ,good job he didnt play the full 90mins vs Newquay i hope to see him play again before end of season got Bodmin and Sticker away pencilled in i just think he will be the next big player coming out of Cornwall .RHYS SIMMONDS is going places 

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Highest SWPL attendance so far this season?

No I think Newquay has the highest attendance so far - 294.

However certainly best one for Truro Reserves so far.

14 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Hope you didn't spill your coffee Dave? £££

No fear of that!

20 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Great result for Truro Reserves vs Wendron but they did have the class player Jamie Lowry and the star for the future Rhys Simmonds i bet he ends up playing in Truros 1st team and then onto Plymouth Argyle i saw him come on vs Newquay and i thought this lad is good hes going far and i think he will ,good job he didnt play the full 90mins vs Newquay i hope to see him play again before end of season got Bodmin and Sticker away pencilled in i just think he will be the next big player coming out of Cornwall .RHYS SIMMONDS is going places 

Nothing at all illegal or underhand from City, but having Scott Burgess (who has experience in the Football League and National League) and Pharrell Johnson (on loan from Nottingham Forest) in the starting eleven, must help. At the end of the day, they are a reserve side, and it is up to them how they use it.

No issues from us whatsoever. As much as any reserve side wants to compete in their respective league, the role of one is to provide players for the first team in whatever form that may be - whether is Truro Reserves, Wendron Reserves or any in between. 
With Truro in this league playing players from professional setups is part of the parcel (like when PAFC were in it to an extent) players should relish the chance to test themselves against players of that calibre, not use it as an excuse or hide from it. I think Pharell is at Swindon (but may be mistaken) and Scott Burgess has had the football career that the vast majority of us could only dream of. Jamie Lowry showed his class, Rhys Simmonds looked a player when he came on and I was very impressed with their 7 too. Perhaps the biggest moment came when their ‘keeper made what was in effect a game winning save with ourselves in front at 4-3, which in turn resulted in their leveller. Hoping they put in performances like that against a few others this season - sure they’ll hope for that too. 

Mr Burley and the rest of the officiating team were really good - no complaints and thought they all had steady games. 

Good to see Truro back in Truro - or as close to it as they can get. An impressive facility which will only get bigger and better over the next few years all being well. Surface still isn’t quite as good as Underlane though…

Let's not forget, three 16-year-olds played the whole game for Truro City and scored three of the goals while the two players from the first team squad, who haven't actually made the match day squad yet, came off when the game was at 2-2.

However, I would say that Jamie Lowry is still a class player at this level, even though he's 37 and it's been over ten seasons since he played at a decent level! It's a pleasure to watch him play, although unfortunately it's not very often these days.

What do they say? 'Form is temporary, class is permanent.'

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Let's not forget, three 16-year-olds played the whole game for Truro City and scored three of the goals while the two players from the first team squad, who haven't actually made the match day squad yet, came off when the game was at 2-2.

However, I would say that Jamie Lowry is still a class player at this level, even though he's 37 and it's been over ten seasons since he played at a decent level! It's a pleasure to watch him play, although unfortunately it's not very often these days.

What do they say? 'Form is temporary, class is permanent.'

Regarding Truro's young starlets. Big,big leap from step 6 to their first team at step 2. Would a spell out on loan at a step 4 club (one of the Cornish one's for example) be beneficial?

In time absolutely Ian, but no need to rush them, allow them to get used to the physicality and consistency required at this level, and be nurtured by John, flacky and Gossy with the 18’s. There are a really good crop of 16’s and 17’s out there at the moment not only at Truro, we have a few, Bodmin, Helston, Falmouth, Mousehole, Newquay to name just a few are all bringing them through at various levels where they are allowed to just play, make mistakes and learn. For someone who has watched these lads from a very early age it’s an absolute joy to see them grow and mature and hopefully fulfill their potential but no need to rush them 🙂

Be great to see some of the young Cornish players break through into the Truro first team.  At least  they can  now feel attached to a club playing in Cornwall at highest level. 
 You have to be a brave manager to risk them tho  especially in that league  with pressure of keeping Truro competitive