Cornwall Football Forum

Why no fixtures this midweek?

Bearing in mind the daft wet weather fixture pile up last season, I find it bizarre that only Truro Reserves will be hosting a midweek game over the coming days.

Be honest, we know what's coming weather wise for Cornwall this winter, it gets persistently wetter every season.

Surely the local league officials should have utilised a decent dry Tuesday & Wednesday this week to get some warmer weather fixtures in?

Just now, The Town Man said:

Falmouth Town in a 22 team league this season and so far only one midweek fixture and 3 league games played only for various reasons. Nothing midweek this week either. Trouble ahead I would say once the rain kicks in.

I don’t know how it works or if it’s allowed but I’m surprised clubs aren’t looking to try and bring fixtures forward. 

Should Bishops Cleeve win their FA Cup replay tomorrow we will have no game on Saturday 14th and would like to think we’d try and play another team without a fixture on that date.

With the fixture pile up at the back end of last season I’m sure clubs would be happy to play more game at the start of the league season.

I find the small amount of midweek fixtures across steps 6-3 mind boggling given how the last few seasons have panned out. 

I know September is traditionally FA competition heavy, with 2 rounds of FA Cup, 2 rounds of FA Trophy and an FA Vase round, save for FA cup replays there is a notable absence of games being played in a midweek evening!

22 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Was this midweek left blank for potential FA Cup replays?

Agree though, you would think there would be a full midweek program of Southern/Western league matches (with them being postponed in the event of the FA Cup taking priority).

Maybe clubs are reluctant to commit to August/early September midweek fixtures as some of the players are on holiday.  Otherwise, who knows?

4 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Maybe clubs are reluctant to commit to August/early September midweek fixtures as some of the players are on holiday.  Otherwise, who knows?

Thought it was the league that scheduled fixtures, not the club's.

We're talking step 4/5 clubs here, not park teams. If they can't put together players and a selection of substitutes who, you know, want to play a game of football in the football season, then you would question why they're operating at Southern/Western League level.

2 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Surely respective League Officials should be switched on regards the wet weather reality down here? Missing ideal opportunities to get some midweek games in, especially September, will almost certainly be regretted when the postponements gridlock arrives late season.

I think Tavistock have Saturday games against Exmouth (home and away) Willand (home and away), Mousehole (home) and one at Easter against Helston (away). You’d think a few of those could’ve been midweek games in September/October.