AFC Totton    4-0    Wimborne Town
Frome Town    1-2    Tiverton Town
Gloucester City   2-1    Hungerford Town
Marlow    2-2    Bracknell Town
Plymouth Parkway    2-2    Taunton Town
Swindon Supermarine       1-5    Merthyr Town
Walton & Hersham    2-2    Hanwell Town

Parkway 2 Taunton 2

Listened to this in Crete via Peacocks on line commentary. Pretty good listen, and enjoyed them going round the grounds and keeping us up to date with what was happening in the night's other Southern Prem South fixtures.

Sounded like a late onslaught for Parkway against 10 men Taunton (they had a player receive a straight red for a "challenge" on Carlo Garside), but Chris McPhee's side were unable to force the first win of the season. Goals from Ryan Brett and Mikey Williams in each half recovered an early 0-2 deficit.

Due to work commitments I also missed this game. Following on social media parkway were unlucky not to snatch a win at the end after going 2 down early on.  The red card changed the game. ( awful leg breaker of a challenge I believe ). 
still it’s another point on the board but they desperately need a win asap . Home form isn’t great and with Tiverton wining  it going be a massive ask to go away and pick up wins. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 10 September 2024

The scream from Carlo Garside was audible from the other side of the ground. Absolute disgrace of a tackle.

Parkway, as usual, playing some lovely football but players making an additional pass when they’re in a shooting position, and losing possession. This did improve once the Taunton man was sent off, but former Parkway players Adam Parkes and Toby Down made several fantastic blocks to keep it at 2-2.

Seemed to be some discontent amongst the players as well, at one point after a failed attack Matt Wright and Dylan Jones were tearing strips off each other.

1 hour ago, tfenlon said:

The scream from Carlo Garside was audible from the other side of the ground. Absolute disgrace of a tackle.

Parkway, as usual, playing some lovely football but players making an additional pass when they’re in a shooting position, and losing possession. This did improve once the Taunton man was sent off, but former Parkway players Adam Parkes and Toby Down made several fantastic blocks to keep it at 2-2.

Seemed to be some discontent amongst the players as well, at one point after a failed attack Matt Wright and Dylan Jones were tearing strips off each other.

Picked up the scream from Carlo Garside on the commentary. Also, unfortunately, the bickering between the Parkway players (which was remarked upon by the Peacocks Radio people) was audible. The loud reception from the Parkway faithful for Jack Crago when he came on was very noticeable, no doubt Chris McPhee also heard this. 

In his post match interview, it was the first time I have seen McPhee look down and frustrated. He believed it was 2 pts dropped, and spoke about players not learning or understanding their roles and what is being asked of them. Fear it's going to be a long and hard winter in what is realistically a relegation battle already. 

The bickering creeping in again isn’t good.  Definitely not what the team needs when it’s struggling at the bottom. .
Both Dylan and Matt are probably frustrated they are struggling for league goals  ( none in 7 for wright and only 1 in 7 for jones   ) 

Need 1 of them to goal scoring run and very soon  

the crago situation is a strange one. I believe he gone back to Helston again on loan . 

Parkway 2 Taunton Town 2 - Match Observations

I don't get to see Parkway much these days since crossing the Tamar and upping sticks to just outside Dartmouth, but I did see a very enjoyable game. Overall probably a fair result, with both teams having good opportunities to claim the three points. Parkway played some lovely football at times, but in my view over-played at times and were guilty of not mixing up their patterns of play enough. In the first half in particular we had a plethora of tedious sideways and backwards passes, although in part this was due to poor movement from those further upfield.

A basic error, with Rio Garside caught in possession and Corrick racing through and finishing well on 13 minutes put Taunton in the lead. This was after the Yellows had earlier had an effort come off the crossbar. On 20 minutes, a greal goal from a Peacocks point of view, but avoidable from a Plymouth perspective! A corner came  to Jayden Nielsen unmarked just inside the box. He then with power and precision and with a swerve on the ball too crashes a shot into the back of the net! 0-2 and all to do. Critically a smart move down the left on 38 minutes was adeptly finished by Ryan Brett. An excellent team goal and Brett doesn't get too many. 

The second half saw Parkway dominate and midway through the second half a brilliant turn and finish by the wizard that is Mikey Williams had the home side deservedly on level terms. It was mostly one way traffic from then on, although Town should have taken the lead, but a point blank save from the home 'keeper rescued them. At the other end a good Parkes flying save and a questionable goal being chalked off illustrated the home threat. 

Overall, the second 45 was a good deal better. More tempo, the ball was moved around more quickly, better movement also evident. No lack of commitment or desire either. However, my view that Parkway have some good players but a squad lacking in depth remains. Matt Wright is about as mobile as the heavy duty wardrobe in my bedroom. Dylan Jones was poor all evening. I still wonder where the requisite goals will come from to keep Parkway comfortably away from the drop zone.

Of course, it should be said, the players are adjusting to a possession based style of football from the more frantic method of play under Lee Hobbs. It will take time. I did think too that some players already looked short on confidence. A friend of mine remarked that each season that passes the squad - in the round - gets weaker every year. It feels that way I must say, but those who frequent Bolitho Park more often than I are better judges of that. Right now my feeling is a couple of back to back wins could (and must) kickstart the Parkway season. I hope this happens.

The sending off was richly merited. A horror gtackle on Carlo Garside. It could have been a leg breaker. Absolutely senseless from the Taunton No9 [Ferris].

On a silly note, the visiting number 8......wow a ginger mullet and a 'tache..... a fashion crime if ever there was one!

Finally 405 on a horrible evening with Parkway struggling and an England game on Live TV seemed a decent crowd to me!

The ginger mullet is Tom Smith. A brilliant player even if he doesn’t look the part. Taunton very lucky to have him he could easily play a few levels above.  
I do agree on your point of the football. There an awful lot of sideways passing and walking around. Some of the fans have mentioned it is quite boring not the exciting football served up in previous seasons and the players are struggling to adapt. 
dylan jones and Rio Garside seem to be the legs and energy and Matt wright does spend a lot of time walking around moaning unfortunately 

They could desperately do with a finisher  but where do you get one from ? 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

The ginger mullet is Tom Smith. A brilliant player even if he doesn’t look the part. Taunton very lucky to have him he could easily play a few levels above.  
I do agree on your point of the football. There an awful lot of sideways passing and walking around. Some of the fans have mentioned it is quite boring not the exciting football served up in previous seasons and the players are struggling to adapt. 
dylan jones and Rio Garside seem to be the legs and energy and Matt wright does spend a lot of time walking around moaning unfortunately 

The cheer when Crago came on was quite instructive. Town's 'Mullet Man' is a decent player as you say. The obsession of coaches to play the Man City way is a fad and few non league teams can pull it off. Mousehole are easy on the eye, but don't quite play that way - they mix it up a bit.

The irony was I chose Parkway ahead of the England game on TV, but a times PPFC resembled Southgate style passivity. Grrr. At least under Hobbs they were mostly a good watch! 

What would you say to the claim that the squad gets weaker each season? Has the budget been trimmed at all? Mark the Chairman doesn't seem to be as high profile as before, although I know he wasn't well at some point. A regular fans take would be interesting!

ATB to Parkway moving forward!

12 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

The cheer when Crago came on was quite instructive. Town's 'Mullet Man' is a decent player as you say. The obsession of coaches to play the Man City way is a fad and few non league teams can pull it off. Mousehole are easy on the eye, but don't quite play that way - they mix it up a bit.

The irony was I chose Parkway ahead of the England game on TV, but a times PPFC resembled Southgate style passivity. Grrr. At least under Hobbs they were mostly a good watch! 

What would you say to the claim that the squad gets weaker each season? Has the budget been trimmed at all? Mark the Chairman doesn't seem to be as high profile as before, although I know he wasn't well at some point. A regular fans take would be interesting!

I think the budget been an issue for years. And take in the fact cost of the  pitch being  been re done  with no income in during pre  season ( argyle games often bring in a fair chunk ) money is going to be very tight. 
looks like they won’t too-focus on youth links with Exeter etc one of the reason Chris McPhee was brought in . 

17 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

19 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Tom Smith wasting his time at Taunton, far too good for this level. Parkway looking to be in trouble early on, Crago should bring back some needed quality? 

8 hours ago, yeww said:

Tom Smith wasting his time at Taunton, far too good for this level. Parkway looking to be in trouble early on, Crago should bring back some needed quality? 

Jack Crago, as hard working and honest player as you would find, but not exactly prolific last season. He didn't score in the final 20 games.

Perhaps it is as Chris McPhee said, he just didn't fit with how he wants the side to play. It happens. More concerning for Parkway is that Dylan Jones, for all his obvious talent and potential, isn't scoring.

Apart from the Winchester game, it has been fine margins in the results and not some of the hammerings that Parkway were taking in the opening month of last season. Have to believe it will click sooner rather than later.

6 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

You and mattelot absolutely obsessed by neighbours Helston. Always the sly dig! 😉

Sorry Bagman. Hands up, it was a sly dig but no harm meant.  Got to admire Mr Massey for what he has done for the club. Managed to secure a great coach and a team full of winners. What he does with his money is his business. No point in having it if you don't enjoy it!

Best of luck for the season as long as you don't do better than the mighty Town.

On 11/09/2024 at 18:36, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

From what I've heard, the playing budget has largely been taken up by the pitch renovations over the summer, with a view taken that staying in the league is success this season and making a push for it next.

With regards to the quality of the squad, I don't think the team is objectively worse than what's come previously, the issue is that it's no better either and we're now in a higher division and that there is a larger skills-gap between the best and worst players in the squad, with certain outliers.

The problem for me has been downright bizarre transfers in key positions (or lack thereof in some cases). Cory Harvey and the Adam Carter saga last summer, only for the latter to be solved by the singing of Matt Wright. Much as I have really liked the look of Joe Wragg since his signing last week, its been clear to everyone that we need a striker, and we sign an attacking midfielder who has ended up playing out wide; to me that's like getting sick on your shoes, so you go out and buy a new hat. We look to have avoided the mass-exodus of playing staff after 4 league games this year, which is an improvement on previous seasons, but its no good having numbers if you don't have the quality ready to go in the numbers, and the squad at the minute is very young, very raw, and hasn't yet learnt how to apply their quality.

An interesting perspective. Thank you!

Matt Wright is very poor these days for SL Premier. I'd go for Crago ahead of him. Dylan Jones was off it in midweek too. On the plus side commitment was excellent. I'm just not sure McPhee has the players for the style he is trying to adopt.

Great to see Mikey Williams still had some wizardry left on Tuesday too!