Bodmin Town    1-4   Newquay
Sticker           2-2   Penzance

WEDNESDAY 11 SEPTEMBER 24

EAST
Bovey Tracey     0-1     Teignmouth
      
WEST
Wendron United   1-3    St Day

You can read our match preview versus St Day here:

https://www.wendronunitedafc.co.uk/news/Match-Preview-St-Day-AFC-WCP-Peninsula-League-Premier

It has been 10 years since our first teams have met - the two sides have made progress on and off the pitch massively in that time. In that fixture, current manager - Michael O’Neill - hit 4!

19 hours ago, WendronOfficial said:

You can read our match preview versus St Day here:

https://www.wendronunitedafc.co.uk/news/Match-Preview-St-Day-AFC-WCP-Peninsula-League-Premier

It has been 10 years since our first teams have met - the two sides have made progress on and off the pitch massively in that time. In that fixture, current manager - Michael O’Neill - hit 4!

Wendron Official. This is Wednesday evening only no date attached I can see & it says 3 pm of course it’s not is it a 730pm or 745 pm 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to FIXTURES & RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 10 & 11 September 2024

Watched the bodmin Newquay game on veo app as I'm away working n the England game was far less entertaining!!

Cal mcconie is different class his first goal was an absolute gem.

Bodmin look tidy as well,they r well drilled and have shown they r more than capable of scoring goals and upsetting teams,well done to both teams this evening.

STICKER 2 PENZANCE 2
Sticker were denied their first win of the season when Charlie Young struck a late goal – his first in black and white – to extend Penzance’s unbeaten run to four games. 
Magpies manager Mark Vercesi made two changes to the side that had ground out a point at Dobwalls on its previous outing, Jacob Trudgeon replacing Ryan Townson in midfield and Will Trenoweth taking over in goal from Mikey Flores. And it was his charges who made the brighter start, Curtis Smith feeding Charlie Young to stretch Ethan Elwell into an excellent fifth minute save. 
The Sticker keeper was again called into action to deny Darryl Richards, set up by Charlie Willis, before his side began to threaten themselves. Connor Wharton soared to head home a Noah Holmes free-kick but his celebration was curtailed by an offside flag. He then fired into the side-netting when well placed, and Charlee Summers curled a shot on to the cross-bar, as the home side concluded the first half on top.
Bundling the ball over the line at the second attempt from a corner, Silas Sullivan gave Penzance the lead shortly after the interval. However, within ten minutes, Sticker had turned the match on its head. From a corner of their own, Mickey Rowles-Jane glanced a header past Trenoweth. Then captain Tom Guest bounced off a succession of challenges to muscle his way through the heart of the visiting defence before applying a cool finish.
The visitors regrouped. From 25 yards out, right-back Archie Reynolds forced Elwell into an excellent tip-over save shortly before Charlie Young threaded a low shot through a forest of legs and just inside the far post for the equaliser. And, deep into stoppage time, the former Porthleven and Wendron hitman could have stolen all three points with a powerful header that passed just over the bar.
Penzance: Will Trenoweth, Archie Reynolds, Silas Sullivan, Sam Young, Liam Andrew, Tyler Tonkin (Captain), Jacob Trudgeon (Jude Tripconey 62), Charlie Willis, Charlie Young (Ewan Trevains 90), Darryl Richards (Ryan Townson 56), Curtis Smith. Unused subs: Mikey Flores, Mark Vercesi
Sticker: Ethan Elwell, Connor Cooke, Jake Chafer, Ewan Warren-Wright, Lewis Clapham, Mickey Rowles-Jane, Sol Wilson, Charlee Summers. Tom Guest (Captain), Noah Holmes, Connor Wharton. Subs: Jack Ham, Alex Hamley, Dan Hocking, Andy Avery, Finn Nancarrow
Referee: Dale England
Assistants: Alan Howells, Graham Rickard

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday & Wednesday 10 & 11 September 2024
23 hours ago, Dave Grose said:

Watched the bodmin Newquay game on veo app as I'm away working n the England game was far less entertaining!!

Cal mcconie is different class his first goal was an absolute gem.

Bodmin look tidy as well,they r well drilled and have shown they r more than capable of scoring goals and upsetting teams,well done to both teams this evening.

How does that work then that you’re able to watch games on the app. I always just assumed it was used to record games for training purposes? 

Wendron 1 St Day 3

Well this was an interesting match to watch , the first half consisted of how many Wendron would score as they wasted chance after chance partly due to some sloppy defending from Saints & poor finishing from Wendron .

To be fair if it was 4-0 at ht i don’t think Saints could of complained , I heard Harry Salmon played well in the win on Saturday at home for Saints let me tell you he was outstanding tonight for a 17 yr old.

Regardless of all the possession Wendron never capitalised on the score aside of a Ryan Reeve goal .

Ht 1-0

Second half & not only were Saints better balanced at the back with the (in my opinion ) correct right back the work rate from Saints was absolutely class every challenge was won every ball fought for,  at times Wendron struggled to string two passes together completely different from a first half of excellent football from Wendron who made the ball glide along the excellent surface.

10 into the second half & Taylor Packenas drove into the Wendron box with a lovely bit of skill to be brought down by the Wendron centre half resulting in a blatant no argument Pen.

After a little bit of banter from the keeper towards Kyle Marks which resulted in a yellow for the keeper Marks smashed home the penalty 1-1 game on .

At this point we still seem to be waiting for Wendron to come out & put on a display of football but credit to Saints they never produced it due to Saints workmanship & after a substitution for Saints young Ollie Tomlinson comes on & within a minute or so smashes a worldie in the top right corner .

Taylor Packenas scores a third late on but Wendron have to ask themselves not only where there second half display went but also how a game of two halves is exactly what they say it is.

Credit to Saints slow start in this league with players missing but two wins on the bounce players coming back & a second half with the right balance on the pitch proved a worthy 3 pts 

9 hours ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

How does that work then that you’re able to watch games on the app. I always just assumed it was used to record games for training purposes? 

I downloaded the veo app and typed in Newquay mate and was able to watch the game as they filmed it,wasn't bad quality for it either tbh

1 hour ago, Marksy Senior said:

Wendron 1 St Day 3

Well this was an interesting match to watch , the first half consisted of how many Wendron would score as they wasted chance after chance partly due to some sloppy defending from Saints & poor finishing from Wendron .

To be fair if it was 4-0 at ht i don’t think Saints could of complained , I heard Harry Salmon played well in the win on Saturday at home for Saints let me tell you he was outstanding tonight for a 17 yr old.

Regardless of all the possession Wendron never capitalised on the score aside of a Ryan Reeve goal .

Ht 1-0

Second half & not only were Saints better balanced at the back with the (in my opinion ) correct right back the work rate from Saints was absolutely class every challenge was won every ball fought for,  at times Wendron struggled to string two passes together completely different from a first half of excellent football from Wendron who made the ball glide along the excellent surface.

10 into the second half & Taylor Packenas drove into the Wendron box with a lovely bit of skill to be brought down by the Wendron centre half resulting in a blatant no argument Pen.

After a little bit of banter from the keeper towards Kyle Marks which resulted in a yellow for the keeper Marks smashed home the penalty 1-1 game on .

At this point we still seem to be waiting for Wendron to come out & put on a display of football but credit to Saints they never produced it due to Saints workmanship & after a substitution for Saints young Ollie Tomlinson comes on & within a minute or so smashes a worldie in the top right corner .

Taylor Packenas scores a third late on but Wendron have to ask themselves not only where there second half display went but also how a game of two halves is exactly what they say it is.

Credit to Saints slow start in this league with players missing but two wins on the bounce players coming back & a second half with the right balance on the pitch proved a worthy 3 pts 

Who was the correct right back in your opinion 🤔

Wendron 1 St Day 3

Ht 1-0

Feel like I should ask for a refund, I took both grandkids (6&8) to watch this and had to leave after the hour ish mark! Despite moving where we were stood the language coming from the management and rest of the benches (mainly away!) was disgusting!

it’s no wonder footballs dying at this level if you can’t take kids along to watch a game without having to leave it through this type of thing!! Very disappointed!

Wendron 1 St Day 3

Ht 1-0

Hi Marksy,

good report. I didn’t go as late back from work, but wish I had as sounded like it had everything, from goals, worldies, physicality, numerous cards, tactical substitutions and excitement.

As Saint and Greavsey used to say…It is a funny old game 👍

42 minutes ago, Sijames said:

Feel like I should ask for a refund, I took both grandkids (6&8) to watch this and had to leave after the hour ish mark! Despite moving where we were stood the language coming from the management and rest of the benches (mainly away!) was disgusting!

it’s no wonder footballs dying at this level if you can’t take kids along to watch a game without having to leave it through this type of thing!! Very disappointed!

Mmmm unable to hear any of that from the Stand end however I know the ref booked Joff first half unsure why & then booked Lee second half with a yellow then red as mistaken identity as Joff told him he was the one booked he then proceeded to tell Joff that he can have a red too. 
Again I can only go on what I saw & heard after the game .

Si James you won’t be getting a refund as you know & it’s not justified to say don’t take the grandkids but if you can find a game without any swearing involved please let me know .

It’s irrelevant also to put (mainly away ) for the swearing if both dug outs were at it . 
I presume you must of stood by the entrance as it’s difficult to stand dugout side so you would really of only heard the away dug out as the home one is three quarters of the way down the side.

I swore & did lots more when managing its not right but it’s part & parcel of every game whether you want to hear it or not I’m afraid.

16 minutes ago, Marksy Senior said:

Mmmm unable to hear any of that from the Stand end however I know the ref booked Joff first half unsure why & then booked Lee second half with a yellow then red as mistaken identity as Joff told him he was the one booked he then proceeded to tell Joff that he can have a red too. 
Again I can only go on what I saw & heard after the game .

Si James you won’t be getting a refund as you know & it’s not justified to say don’t take the grandkids but if you can find a game without any swearing involved please let me know .

It’s irrelevant also to put (mainly away ) for the swearing if both dug outs were at it . 
I presume you must of stood by the entrance as it’s difficult to stand dugout side so you would really of only heard the away dug out as the home one is three quarters of the way down the side.

I swore & did lots more when managing its not right but it’s part & parcel of every game whether you want to hear it or not I’m afraid.

That doesn’t make what he said wrong. Why should his young grandkids have to listen to it . It doesn’t need to be part and parcel of any game.  

That reads as a remarkably impressive result for St Day 👏 

As regards the swearing debate. I would agree there is far too much of it, from players & coaching staff. I can understand the odd f-word as an isolated reaction to an obvious controversy, but recently, far too many in the game use bad language in continual ongoing conversation. You wouldn't hear it if it occurred at a Premier League game but you certainly will at Cornwall Football level. 

3 hours ago, Marksy Senior said:

Wendron 1 St Day 3

Ht 1-0

Great write up Marksy, couldn’t agree more. Your boy was on fire last night along with Taylor Packenas. Absolute brilliant goal from Ollie. Was good catching up last night, hopefully see you Saturday mate 👍🏼

19 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

That doesn’t make what he said wrong. Why should his young grandkids have to listen to it . It doesn’t need to be part and parcel of any game.  

Well you let me know when you’ve eradicated it alright & whether you like it or not it is part & parcel of every game find me a manager / player that hasn’t sworn very very few 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

If the club dugout members were booked for foul language, well done the referee, lets hope more officials follow suit and help reduce some of the vile retorts coming from some areas.        It is a bookable offence according to the rules of the game but until the F.A. remove the marking system that is made by club officials, it will continue.

It beggars belief that the F.A. insist on Referees and Lines men and women to be qualified to officiate in a game, and then are happy to accept the opinion of someone who often has no qualifications whatsoever and may never have kicked a ball in anger, to assess their performance and not have to give a reason for their mark unless it's below a certain level.
As a matter of interest it would be good to know how many referees are marked below that level in a season, not many I would guess.

5 hours ago, Marksy Senior said:

Wendron 1 St Day 3

Ht 1-0

Accurate report Marksy. 

Apologies to Wendron as this is the 3rd game of theirs that I have watched this season and they have lost all of them!

Each game they have started excellently and dominated  but they have been unable to capitalise on their superiority, despite having their talented forward players such as Brodie Kemp, Ryan Reeve and Josh Wood (who could play a level or two higher imo). 

As each game wore on, either they tired or got sussed out (or a bit of both) and the opposition got on top and won the game.

Would also say that there doesn't appear to be a Plan B which may be linked to the strength of the bench which was mainly young and inexperienced last night.

That being said, they play lovely football which is a pleasure to watch and their youngsters will surely develop given time.

St Day fielded a good blend of experience and youth with Joe Cooper and Kirk Davies marshalling the defence, and young Ollie Tomlinson coming off the bench and scoring a screamer.  They will definitely hold their own this season.

4 hours ago, We Two said:

It beggars belief that the F.A. insist on Referees and Lines men and women to be qualified to officiate in a game, and then are happy to accept the opinion of someone who often has no qualifications whatsoever and may never have kicked a ball in anger, to assess their performance and not have to give a reason for their mark unless it's below a certain level.

You're a bit of touch with how officials are marked at Step6. They don't get a mark from a club official.

18 minutes ago, justanopinion said:

Apologies, I thought a mark was generated through the MOAS report.

They are. 

Perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant by they don't get a mark from a club official? 

Essentially a club official rates the referee on a number of competencies and this then generates a mark. 

8 hours ago, Marksy Senior said:

Well you let me know when you’ve eradicated it alright & whether you like it or not it is part & parcel of every game find me a manager / player that hasn’t sworn very very few 

Why have I got to eradicate it ? Surly a manager can set an example and the team will follow.  Yes I know players and mangers swear  my point is be better. Why do kids at 6 and 8 need to think that normall behaviour ? . 

Here’s our match report in yesterday’s entertaining fixture versus St Day: https://www.wendronunitedafc.co.uk/Matchreport.aspx?id=741548

Some pretty accurate and fair reports in above posts. 

SiJames, fair comments and one we’ll pass on for the future. Yourself and your grandkids are always welcome. If you Inbox us to let us know when you’re next up we will put a couple of Fruit Shoots for the grandkids and a drink for yourself behind the bar for you.   🤝

Foul language may be ‘part of the parcel’ to an extent and often said in frustration - but to use it towards an official (or the like) is wrong and we don’t want to put the youth off attending fixtures, especially when you get games like last night’s. 

IMG_6843.jpeg

8 hours ago, We Two said:

If the club dugout members were booked for foul language, well done the referee, lets hope more officials follow suit and help reduce some of the vile retorts coming from some areas.        It is a bookable offence according to the rules of the game but until the F.A. remove the marking system that is made by club officials, it will continue.

As a matter of interest it would be good to know how many referees are marked below that level in a season, not many I would guess.

The marks do though mean a lot less than previously. It used to count 50/50 with observer marks, now its 60% Observer, 15% Laws of the Game, 15% CPD and only 10% Clubs so club marks count hardly anything towards a referees promotion.

So referees should all be dealing with poor behaviour and removing themselves from the ego massaging that happens when they receive their mark still as it stands. Hopefully that is now changing though.

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

Maybe if referees booked players and managers accordingly for foul and abusive language rather than the inconsistency that goes on at present, this could reduce those misdemeanours as the punishment will always be the same

Agreed, and now that the club marks things is so much less promotion effecting there isn't really any excuses now.

10 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Agreed, and now that the club marks things is so much less promotion effecting there isn't really any excuses now.

@bighairydave although it only makes up 10% of the final merit table position algorithm, where referees are close in the other areas (observer merit table, laws of game and online learning modules) then the club mark could still be the determining factor in the referees promotion. It's better that it has less of an overall impact but it's still needs to be looked after, so to speak. I'd be interested to see, and I'm sure we will, how big a factor it can be.

For example if referee A is number 1 on the observer merit table. Referee B is number 2. 

If both referees have 100% laws of the game and 100% CPD it will be interesting to see how far apart the club merit table position would need to be for Referee B to then finish above referee A in the final merit table.

I'm using 1 and 2 for ease, 1 and 2 it won't affect but let's say 2 referees either side of the cut off line.

Saw a bench last season swearing at a decision they didn't get, referee went over and kept his distance, said to the bench, think about the example you are setting to the younger players and those around you. Manager kept on going, referee sent him off five minutes later. Thought excellent refereeing, explained to him, gave him a chance which he then ignored, simple.

Have to confess, love to stand between the dugouts, some I just don't bother, especially listening to the language and their views of the game, however Paul Rowe at Wadebridge and Matt Cussack at Helston are good examples of how to behave and there are others around.

Interesting debate though.

10 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

@bighairydave although it only makes up 10% of the final merit table position algorithm, where referees are close in the other areas (observer merit table, laws of game and online learning modules) then the club mark could still be the determining factor in the referees promotion. It's better that it has less of an overall impact but it's still needs to be looked after, so to speak. I'd be interested to see, and I'm sure we will, how big a factor it can be.

For example if referee A is number 1 on the observer merit table. Referee B is number 2. 

If both referees have 100% laws of the game and 100% CPD it will be interesting to see how far apart the club merit table position would need to be for Referee B to then finish above referee A in the final merit table.

I'm using 1 and 2 for ease, 1 and 2 it won't affect but let's say 2 referees either side of the cut off line.

How would a referee be assessed if he sent off 4 or 5 players for foul and abusive language?  Would be potentially be marked down for not ‘managing the game’ properly? 

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

How would a referee be assessed if he sent off 4 or 5 players for foul and abusive language?  

Would be potentially be marked down for not ‘managing the game’ properly? 

No he would be marked down for being incorrect in law. There is no offence of "foul and abusive language" in the laws of the game.  

The offence relating to language and/or gestures is "offensive, insulting and/or abusive language or gestures". Firstly the observer would seek to clarify what was said and a judgment made as to whether it was indeed Offensive, insulting and/or abusive and a supported or development given based on observer opinion of clarification. If indeed all were correct the referee should be rewarded for dealing with it.

9 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

No he would be marked down for being incorrect in law. There is no offence of "foul and abusive language" in the laws of the game.  

The offence relating to language and/or gestures is "offensive, insulting and/or abusive language or gestures". Firstly the observer would seek to clarify what was said and a judgment made as to whether it was indeed Offensive, insulting and/or abusive and a supported or development given based on observer opinion of clarification. If indeed all were correct the referee should be rewarded for dealing with it.

Thanks for that.  That’s interesting. 

It is legally an offence to use obscene and profane language in a public place to the annoyance of others.

This is entirely seperate from the rule on a football field where the referee can deal with abusive language used by a player or dugout member if it is directed at a person or about a situation that  has evolved.

Off field misdemeanors  are normally dealt with by stewards in the professional game, or by club officials in the lower leagues.
If the miscreant continues with their abuse and refuses to leave a premises when asked to do so, the officials are within their rights to call the police and have them removed.

On 13/09/2024 at 13:50, Railwayman in Exile said:

Have to confess, love to stand between the dugouts, some I just don't bother, especially listening to the language and their views of the game, however Paul Rowe at Wadebridge and Matt Cussack at Helston are good examples of how to behave and there are others around.

Interesting debate though.

Wendron manager Mike O'Neill also very controlled in the dugout and expects and demands similar from his assistants.