Cornwall Football Forum

With such an vague statement, does smell a little of "lets get something out there before they do!"

Purely speculative, but he's tried higher levels/clubs before...could it be a drop back down to Western or SWPL?

From what has been said previously Falmouth Town have a very stick budget in place, and money talks...we have already seen Cornish leave without kicking a ball, dropping several leagues for a lot more money.

OR maybe just a complete break from Football, family time & work life often take a back seat to sport!

JW

I thought he was probably the best player I saw last season, regardless of where he's played and what level before, centre backs tend to mature and he as far as I'm concerned he's getting better each season. I'd say that's a huge loss for Falmouth, a very good player, a good leader and hard to find a similar replacement.

I hope he's ok, not dropping down a league and whatever happens I see him playing again soon. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Wade said:

With such an vague statement, does smell a little of "lets get something out there before they do!"

Purely speculative, but he's tried higher levels/clubs before...could it be a drop back down to Western or SWPL?

From what has been said previously Falmouth Town have a very stick budget in place, and money talks...we have already seen Cornish leave without kicking a ball, dropping several leagues for a lot more money.

OR maybe just a complete break from Football, family time & work life often take a back seat to sport!

JW

Off topic I know, but did I see that Kai Cornish was playing for Dropship in the St Piran Div 2 West? If it was, that's way below the level he should be at.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Wade said:

JW

James Ward  Falmouth Town debut   27-2-2018 (lost 0-3 at Ivybridge)  

Falmouth Town  278 Appearances--39 Goals.

24 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

A new challenge

Probably money

More professional (I mean that In the nicest possible way)

More likely to challenge for promotion

You may be right F.f. but everyone at Trungle park last Saturday would have witnessed a sea of Amber & Black. Out numbering the home support by about 3 to 1 with the F-Troop giving their team non-stop vocal support. Thats what money cannot buy. Football is full of ups and downs, highs and lows but there's nothing on earth that matches supporting Falmouth Town Football Club.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

You may be right F.f. but everyone at Trungle park last Saturday would have witnessed a sea of Amber & Black. Out numbering the home support by about 3 to 1 with the F-Troop giving their team non-stop vocal support. Thats what money cannot buy. Football is full of ups and downs, highs and lows but there's nothing on earth that matches supporting Falmouth Town Football Club.

Yep don't disagree with you from the support side of things......but maybe he's had that now And is looking for another challenge.......or maybe he's just getting more money

He is probably the best central defender I have seen in Cornish football over the past few years (excluding Truro, who I have not seen much of). 

He will be sorely missed at Falmouth but is, in my opinion, more than capable of playing at a higher level and appears to have more chance of doing that with Mousehole than Falmouth.

Let's hope that's the footballing reason for this move. Money will always play a part, of course, and why shouldn't it? But I think this is a good sporting move for the player, too.

Mind you, it's only September and the season is very young still. If Falmouth end up above Mousehole in the final table everything I have just said is going to look a bit silly!!

Good luck to the player and here's hoping both of these Cornish clubs have excellent campaigns.

Still don't understand the model financially (Seen the campsite and it is not that big!) but Mousehole appear to be a very well run club with lots of good coaches and a lovely playing surface.  Wardy is exactly what they need judging from the three games I have seen them play this season. Despite having more possession against Falmouth on Saturday, Falmouth arguably created at least as many chances, all from crosses. Against Helston, and with a patched up side, Mousehole conceded through set-pieces where they struggled with the physicality of the Bentley Brothers amongst others.

This signing must surely put them as favourites for the league.

Maybe the chance of promotion is the motivating factor for the move.

9 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Still don't understand the model financially (Seen the campsite and it is not that big!) but Mousehole appear to be a very well run club with lots of good coaches and a lovely playing surface.  Wardy is exactly what they need judging from the three games I have seen them play this season. Despite having more possession against Falmouth on Saturday, Falmouth arguably created at least as many chances, all from crosses. Against Helston, and with a patched up side, Mousehole conceded through set-pieces where they struggled with the physicality of the Bentley Brothers amongst others.

This signing must surely put them as favourites for the league.

Maybe the chance of promotion is the motivating factor for the move.

That being said, Falmouth are also extremely well run and well coached, despite them having far less tracksuits on the bench than Mousehole.

Falmouth's model financially looks to be much more straightforward, especially with the support of the F-Troop, and allegedly they have a sensible wage structure in place.  No doubt they will take stock, find some more talent locally and continue on their upwards trend. 

Every season since Westy has been in charge has seen continuous improvement and none of us fans can ask for any more than that.

6 hours ago, The Town Man said:

That being said, Falmouth are also extremely well run and well coached, despite them having far less tracksuits on the bench than Mousehole.

Falmouth's model financially looks to be much more straightforward, especially with the support of the F-Troop, and allegedly they have a sensible wage structure in place.  No doubt they will take stock, find some more talent locally and continue on their upwards trend. 

Every season since Westy has been in charge has seen continuous improvement and none of us fans can ask for any more than that.

It's not the 1rst time Wardys left us.This is the 3rd time by my reckoning.we've done OK without him in the past and we'll  be OK now. We have a fantastic new leader on and off the pitch in Tom Annear.We thank Wardy for his service to the club and for the memories,but now we move on to make new ones.

I can only assume he’s left for financial reasons and can’t blame him. A club with many supporters doesn’t pay the bills at home.

I’d just feel disappointed if I was a Falmouth fan that didn’t do at least one full season at this level with them given how long he’s been there.

With all the lads bought down to Cornwall there will be severe competition for places at Mousehole it seems when all fit 🤔 

Was a shock to us Mousehole AFC fans too.

I very much doubt it will be a financial decision, ask ex Mousehole players about wages.

With it looking like a busy season, a big squad is a must for player rotation, so you can never have too many players.

Thank you F-Troop you are no doubt the most fanatical supporters in the SW, and the envy of many clubs 💚

Surprised Seagulls didn’t delay taking 24:/25 team photo until next home fixture to include James Ward, then again perhaps they also have one eye on Oscar Massey as a replacement for Goldsworthy who I heard won’t be available for the entire season. 

Perhaps a retake of team photo in time for Christmas card production.

is there a time period between being able to sign two players from one club ? 

3 hours ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

I think he's been on a long wish list ever since Jake Ash took over. And assistant manager Charlie Davis (ex Falmouth) also rates him very highly. 💚

Falmouth becoming the feeder club to Mousehole with alsoJack Bray-Evans & Tim Nixon transferring last season joining Ex Town  Jake Ash and Charlie Davis.

It was surprising to see a former player Jamie Devine coming on as substitute-he was at Bickland over  12 years ago

6 hours ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

I think he's been on a long wish list ever since Jake Ash took over. And assistant manager Charlie Davis (ex Falmouth) also rates him very highly. 💚

Mousehole, while undoubtedly a very slick and talented passing side, were always thought of as lacking a bit of physicality last season and being  vulnerable at defensive set pieces. The signing of James Ward certainly addresses that, a few of the other signings also look like, to quote Jake Ash in the CS Podcast last Friday "beasts." Mohammed Konte, Jordan Hackett and Torin Ntege seem to have a bit of speed and power about them.

They look like a squad that can potentially go one better in the Southern Div 1 this time around.

5 hours ago, mattelot said:

It's not the 1rst time Wardys left us.This is the 3rd time by my reckoning.we've done OK without him in the past and we'll  be OK now. We have a fantastic new leader on and off the pitch in Tom Annear.We thank Wardy for his service to the club and for the memories,but now we move on to make new ones.

You are right, but previously he left to test/prove himself at higher standard (which didn't 100% work), and nobody will stand in the way or criticise that.  Similar to Nixon & JBE when they left, as Mousehole were the league above at the time.

This one however will surly leave a bitter taste, and possibly tarnish the solid image he has/had at Falmouth Town FC

JW

18 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Dropship F C  (can not find that place in the Atlas) but I see they play at Roseudgeon=Scoring for fun so far 12-2, 8-0,  8-1, 4-2,  14-1,  2-1.   5-3..

Guess Kai has got a few of those 53 goals

Apart from Money which is obvious!!   This absolute baffles me, why talented individuals decide to chase the dollar instead of testing themselves at a higher standard of football at a prestigious club. This is one of the reasons football has declined over the years. Plus how are Dropship allowed to get away some of the amounts they are paying and have offered players at other clubs.

2 hours ago, Mitchy said:

Apart from Money which is obvious!!   This absolute baffles me, why talented individuals decide to chase the dollar instead of testing themselves at a higher standard of football at a prestigious club. This is one of the reasons football has declined over the years. Plus how are Dropship allowed to get away some of the amounts they are paying and have offered players at other clubs.

As baffled as you are Mitchy 😕.Many moons ago I was offered money to play at that level and it was illegal to pay amateur players and would've resulted in a ban from Cornwall.Unless the Cornwall FA have changed the rules then surely it's the same,begs the question have they looked into it ?

' Up The Town '

33 minutes ago, Son Of Lineker said:

As baffled as you are Mitchy 😕.Many moons ago I was offered money to play at that level and it was illegal to pay amateur players and would've resulted in a ban from Cornwall.Unless the Cornwall FA have changed the rules then surely it's the same,begs the question have they looked into it ?

' Up The Town '

Club's / Team's can pay players a reasonable expense at any level when they're not contracted. This can be travel to/from games/training as well as reimbursement for kit. The CCFA can audit a Club whenever they like.

4 hours ago, Mitchy said:

Daft question, and sorry for not keeping up, but who are Dropship FC?

Do they have an ambitious individual with deep pockets backing them, and might they be appearing at step 6 in a few seasons?

2 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Daft question, and sorry for not keeping up, but who are Dropship FC?

Do they have an ambitious individual with deep pockets backing them, and might they be appearing at step 6 in a few seasons?

Club info here:  https://www.dropshipfc.com/  currently St Piran 2 and 4 West.

Do they have an ambitious individual with deep pockets backing them? - Yes

Might they be appearing at step 6 in a few seasons? - That is their ambition.

2 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Club info here:  https://www.dropshipfc.com/  currently St Piran 2 and 4 West.

Do they have an ambitious individual with deep pockets backing them? - Yes

Might they be appearing at step 6 in a few seasons? - That is their ambition.

I don’t think Dropship’s model is as straightforward as the owner is ambitious and has deep pockets. I believe I’m right in saying he helps with the cost of pitches etc but their payment model also involves players having to work for the company as well. 
I wouldn’t like to elaborate more as I’m genuinely not sure of how it’s done, but it’s a model that clubs higher up the step system have already enquired about. 
They’re definitely ambitious though like Steve has said and their nomadic existence since forming appears to be settled now they’re at Roseudgeon. 
There are people who read this forum who’d do a better job of explaining than me but I think they’re fed up of having to justify themselves so they just let the criticism ride and get on with playing. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Matthews said:

I don’t think Dropship’s model is as straightforward as the owner is ambitious and has deep pockets. I believe I’m right in saying he helps with the cost of pitches etc but their payment model also involves players having to work for the company as well. 
I wouldn’t like to elaborate more as I’m genuinely not sure of how it’s done, but it’s a model that clubs higher up the step system have already enquired about. 
They’re definitely ambitious though like Steve has said and their nomadic existence since forming appears to be settled now they’re at Roseudgeon. 
There are people who read this forum who’d do a better job of explaining than me but I think they’re fed up of having to justify themselves so they just let the criticism ride and get on with playing. 

Absolutely spot on.

We are fed up with explaining how we operate. People don't listen, they speculate. It makes for better reading after all. We quite like the attention though; this is a Southern League post and people are talking about Mousehole, Falmouth, Dropship. 

On 23/09/2024 at 20:18, sportsman10 said:

What’s the attraction of mousehole compared to Falmouth then ?  

Nicer football. Obviously I'm biased.

On 23/09/2024 at 22:25, Jeff Chambers said:

Pop'n of Falmouth = 24000

Pop'n of Paul = 296

Average Crowd as a percentage of population..

Falmouth = 1.68%

Mousehole = 71.62%