Portishead Town   3-2    Bridgwater United
Shepton Mallet    0-2    Brixham
St Blazey   0-2    Nailsea & Tickenham
Street    1-1    Buckland Athletic
Torpoint Athletic   8-0    Welton Rovers
Wellington    2-1    Paulton Rovers

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

St Austell won 2-1.

A superb strike by Matt Searle mid way into the second period settled this hard fought game at windy Poltair Park in front of a meager 137 spectators.

St.Austell took a 2nd minute lead when Liam Eddy scored from a tight angle, Barnstaple leveled soon after and that remained the score untill Matt Searle's winner. The visitors pilled on the pressure in the final minutes but the St.Austell defence held firm.

Final score: St.Austell 2 Barnstaple 1..

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 5 October 2024

St Austell 2 Barnstaple Town 1

A grey, breezy, dog of a football match at Poltair.

Great 3 points bagged for St Austell, especially against a side who were 2nd in the league, but goodness me, it wasn't pretty.

No sooner had I grabbed an exceedingly luke warm coffee, when Mr Eddy managed to avoid some pantomime-horse defending from bumbling Barnstaple defenders to put the hosts in dreamland. A minute gone.. 1-0.

The game never got going as a spectacle. The pitchside vibe wasn't helped by what appeared to be numerous groups of young kids running around, unsupervised, noisily charging past spectators who were trying to watch the match. This went on for around an hour. Think they got tired after that.

What I did manage to gather from the game can be itemised as hoofing, players falling over shouting for mummy, abysmal passing and a fairly good representation of schoolyard-playtime football.

Barnstaple quickly equalised but barely threatened afterwards. St Austell didn't either, they somehow got a rare shot on target in a bleak second half, and that was it, 2-1, game over. No desperate Barnstaple pressure or hint of a fightback, just more aimless wasted passes and players pretending to be injured.

My sympathy went out to the Barmy Barnstaple Army. 1 flag bearer, 2 drummers & a couple of poor souls who sang the Old Trafford back catalogue from when Beckham was plying his trade. Good luck sitting near that lot on the long Mini Bus ride to North Devon.

Worst Western League game I've seen to date.. by some extreme distance.

I was glad to get home.

Match Rating 2.5 out of 10 🤦‍♂️ 

18 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

St Austell 2 Barnstaple Town 1

A grey, breezy, dog of a football match at Poltair.

Great 3 points bagged for St Austell, especially against a side who were 2nd in the league, but goodness me, it wasn't pretty.

No sooner had I grabbed an exceedingly luke warm coffee, when Mr Eddy managed to avoid some pantomime-horse defending from bumbling Barnstaple defenders to put the hosts in dreamland. A minute gone.. 1-0.

The game never got going as a spectacle. The pitchside vibe wasn't helped by what appeared to be numerous groups of young kids running around, unsupervised, noisily charging past spectators who were trying to watch the match. This went on for around an hour. Think they got tired after that.

What I did manage to gather from the game can be itemised as hoofing, players falling over shouting for mummy, abysmal passing and a fairly good representation of schoolyard-playtime football.

Barnstaple quickly equalised but barely threatened afterwards. St Austell didn't either, they somehow got a rare shot on target in a bleak second half, and that was it, 2-1, game over. No desperate Barnstaple pressure or hint of a fightback, just more aimless wasted passes and players pretending to be injured.

My sympathy went out to the Barmy Barnstaple Army. 1 flag bearer, 2 drummers & a couple of poor souls who sang the Old Trafford back catalogue from when Beckham was plying his trade. Good luck sitting near that lot on the long Mini Bus ride to North Devon.

Worst Western League game I've seen to date.. by some extreme distance.

I was glad to get home.

Match Rating 2.5 out of 10 🤦‍♂️ 

Take it liskeard didn’t play today , hopefully you guys finally (after all that money spent ) actually get to the western league 

31 minutes ago, The truth said:

Take it liskeard didn’t play today , hopefully you guys finally (after all that money spent ) actually get to the western league 

My apology for raining on your parade, but I'm a neutral. When warranted, Liskeard gets the same degree of analysis, whether it be negative, positive, good or bad. All dependent on what I see as a non league football supporter. I report what I see, warts & all, I'm not one for crawling for approval.

11 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Ivybridge who I picked to be up in top 3   started the season really  poorly and looked like they may struggle. but are now bang in form and starting to get use to the demands of western league 

Could still be dark horses for the title  

Saw Ivybridge win at Blaise Park recently. I would agree with your sentiments, they look a decent side.