Cornwall Football Forum

'Obscene Fixtures' Saltash headline in The Press

Uwdi Krugg

A local journalist in the Cornish Times banged out an interesting headline in their latest edition: Brown bemoans 'Obscene' fixture schedule.

The apparent interview relates to Saltash Manager, Macca Brown calling the Western League fixture schedule 'Obscene' as they completed a 230 mile round trip to Nailsea & Tickenham & some other games inside a 3 week period. Ilfracombe & Brixham included. The rant continues stating Saltash had possibly played more games than anybody in the country! 

There's plenty more quotes in the piece which also highlights "ridiculous fixture scheduling".

A hard hitting interview, but surely everyone by now knows full well about the travelling and higher level of football in the Western League, irrespective of whether it's appreciated or otherwise.

I just find public terminology such as 'Obscene' a little ridiculous when one considers everything else going on in our World at the moment.

Not sure how many Saltash, or Western League punters have seen the rather rash statements made in the article?

2 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

A local journalist in the Cornish Times banged out an interesting headline in their latest edition: Brown bemoans 'Obscene' fixture schedule.

The apparent interview relates to Saltash Manager, Macca Brown calling the Western League fixture schedule 'Obscene' as they completed a 230 mile round trip to Nailsea & Tickenham & some other games inside a 3 week period. Ilfracombe & Brixham included. The rant continues stating Saltash had possibly played more games than anybody in the country! 

There's plenty more quotes in the piece which also highlights "ridiculous fixture scheduling".

A hard hitting interview, but surely everyone by now knows full well about the travelling and higher level of football in the Western League, irrespective of whether it's appreciated or otherwise.

I just find public terminology such as 'Obscene' a little ridiculous when one considers everything else going on in our World at the moment.

Not sure how many Saltash, or Western League punters have seen the rather rash statements made in the article?

The language does seem a bit excessive. Perhaps Saltash might be a bit more at home back in the SWPL?

This last month they’ve had away at Oldlands, (home to Brislington) then Shepton, Nailsea and Brislington on 3 consecutive Saturdays. Ilfracombe away too midweek. Not including Brixham as an hour is easy.

Not really sure my thoughts as other posters have said it’s what the league is. Shepton was put in as free weekend for both. Ideally home away weekends would probably keep any excitement that’s lost (words in article) but they have won 4 of them, that itself should.

From a financial point of view perhaps there is an argument. 

Something I worked out was now they’ve played 6 teams home and away already. And now on 15 games for start of October. I don’t want to use the word bizarre as is it again just what it is?! Now is the time to get games in. Would like a good chunk for after Christmas though. Maybe winter will do that.

16 minutes ago, hills19 said:

This last month they’ve had away at Oldlands, (home to Brislington) then Shepton, Nailsea and Brislington on 3 consecutive Saturdays. Ilfracombe away too midweek. Not including Brixham as an hour is easy.

Not really sure my thoughts as other posters have said it’s what the league is. Shepton was put in as free weekend for both. Ideally home away weekends would probably keep any excitement that’s lost (words in article) but they have won 4 of them, that itself should.

From a financial point of view perhaps there is an argument. 

Something I worked out was now they’ve played 6 teams home and away already. And now on 15 games for start of October. I don’t want to use the word bizarre as is it again just what it is?! Now is the time to get games in. Would like a good chunk for after Christmas though. Maybe winter will do that.

I never understand the argument of moaning about games. Everybody plays home and away. It been like that since football been invented.