Cornwall Football Forum

Philpy resigns at St Blazey!

Guest Peppermint

How sad - obviously no support from players. With what would have been a much lower budget than Trevor Mewton had he and Phil Lafferty did a good job and deserved another chance this season.

Hopefully Philpy will be given another managers position elsewhere and his enthusisam will give a club a good manager.

Best wishes to Dave Philp in whatever he does next season.

There you go again Chairman!!!

I cant speak for the other players but I could not do the travelling for St Blazey and as for signing for St Austell to be in a 'comfort zone' you couldnt be further from the truth! I live 2 mins from the ground and my work is also only 2 mins away and if there are exciting times ahead for St Austell and I want to be part of that

Nanks, glad to hear a st austell player talking of a great future ahead, Personally and professionally.

Daryl Stamp, the Chairman of St.A is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet, and i hope personally he and St. Austell with the incomers like yourself and Glyn really rocket the Lilywhites up where they belong.

No one could ever in a million years acuse people of heading to St. Austell to play in a comfort zone.

correct me if you think im wrong but is dave philp not showing a certain lack of respect for st blazey by walking away instead of trying to reasemble the squad with his own players?

Fair enough he might be annoyed at key players leaving but would he not earn more respect by toughing it out and trying to replace those players with others.

John mitchell at goonhavern has used countless players trying to assemble a squad when he could have walked away when players left.

I just think it is a bit off to criticise players for leaving when it seems the manager has just left instead of trying to rebuild the team.

I just think it is a bit off to criticise players for leaving when it seems the manager has just left instead of trying to rebuild the team.

Believe me, it wasn't a decision taken lightly by Dave, and he didn't "just leave".

Dave and Stuart Henderson had to build a new team at Newquay for season 2006/07. Likewise a season later Dave had to do the same when he and Phil Lafferty took over at St Blazey for 2007/08. On a smaller budget and in the path of the most succesful manager that St Blazey has ever seen.

He was therefore looking forward to not having to repeat that process again for 2008/09, but instead build on the squad with the addition of a small handful of new faces.

But that's difficult when most of the existing players fail to return calls! The word "respect" was used above, but where was there any respect from the players shown towards one of best set-ups in Cornish football?

There's only so much a manager can do!

Guest john

i agree with Dave. I feel sorry for Dave Philp. St Austell get abit of money and the so called loyal St Austell players return to their home club. If they were loyal to St Austell they would have played for them the last few years and seen them through the tough times. But its the same scenario a bit of money comes along and players go. Trust me there aint no loyalty out there. these six or seven players gone to St Austell show wat its all about.

So good on you Dave Philp. You dont deserve that treatment.

Loyalty and respect rarely exist in the game today as too many people want instant success. Players follow money and managers and those clubs who try and build struggle and fade away. You say that Dave philp had to build a new team at newquay. He had lots of local players at the club but brought in better players ( better technically not neccessarily better results wise) as he was pushing for peninsula premier league. At the end of the season the commitee got rid of him and he got his job at st blazey taking half the newquay squad ( hardly rebuilding!!) and now it seems that those players have got once more, how ironic. At the end of the day it will always be the clubs that suffer as people need money and clubs will always find money to over play over-rated players for a season or two for what prize? Poor St Blazey, but you've never moaned when players have left their clubs for the lure of your money or success. Football is a cruel game. Good luck to all next season, Im won't be playing!!

Guest ECPL Supporter

It is a fickle game. And i completely agree, where were these local boys when times were hard at st austell, they didn't mind travelling to other clubs then

Guest crosser

Poor St Blazey, but you've never moaned when players have left their clubs for the lure of your money or success.

great comment :clapper:

Guest john

Good on ya Chairman. The players that have left wouldnt have got in the teams that Dave played in the over the years. One of the best shot stoppers and characters of the game. These players should be ashamed. If you read the forum Dave you are a great guy. Best of luck to the future.

Guest Peppermint

With all these players rushing to joinSt Austell - there is obviously money going to be available. With great respect is some of that money going to bring the infrastructure of the Club up to some sort of decent standard. A Clubhouse etc is important and the updating of the grandstand and other improvements.

If I remember correctly St Austell has been down the road of splashing money around and ended up with no Clubhouse and the infrastructure in a poor state.

Finally I have to agree with John, The Chairman and Dave Deacon and say that Dave Philp and Phil Lafferty are two people who deserve better support and I wish them both well wherever they are next season.

Guest john

where were the likes of Nanks wen the club were in dire situation. its only two minutes up the road. they all coming back now.

With all these players rushing to joinSt Austell - there is obviously money going to be available.

If I remember correctly St Austell has been down the road of splashing money around and ended up with no Clubhouse and the infrastructure in a poor state.

Money is not the draw for anyone to come and play at Poltair Park this season. FACT.

What maybe available in the future is a different matter.

As one half of the development company, I can tell you that exciting times are ahead for St Austell and hopefully the football community throughout Cornwall will enjoy the return to sorts of a once great club.

The Club and its new players have been asked to remain tight lipped, as although preliminary plans have been given to the council, we are awaiting the rubber stamp.

Also, please dont ensure that the current infrastructure is in poor condition.

Every club suffers the same issues as the next and the current crop of officers have done extremely well to ensure the club has survived a tough era.

I know that Newquay are one of the clubs that have wished St Austell well in the past, when their unfortunate circumstances have been discussed on this forum.

I only hope that we dont fall foul of the usual negativity shown towards any club in this County that shows a bit of ambition.

This should probably have been put in a different thread, so apologies for ranting on everyone!

Well where do i start

MONEY at ST Austell :- this is not the case as a member of the committee at St Austell i can offically say there is No playing budget for this season or for the for seeable furture.

The players whom have signed for St Austell have done so with the prospect of playing on 1 of the best pitches and facilities in the county (when finished ).

We at St Austell have worked very hard for the past 3/4 years to get to this point in time, recuriting a local manager has a lot to do with the players decision to move clubs as most of you know players like playing for a particular manager which has been shown time and time again in local football.

We are looking forward to this coming season with all what is going on at the club at this present time, i'm sure when you see what is happening at St Austell you will all be very impressed indeed and would like this to happen to your club in the future.

If any of you have any queries regarding this posting then pm me and i will explain to you in more detail.

Lets look at this another way.

Its all very well people coming on here laughing about how St Blazey didnt complain when players left other clubs to join St Blazey, and now a group of players have decided to leave and a few may not be to happy. Thats their opinion. But not everyones!!

For me, its easy come, easy go. Ill support St Blazey and who ever wears the green shirt 100% while they are at the club. The football club has been around for many a year, won many a trophy, and will do so again. Take Liverpool for example, and clubs before that, to win trophys year after year is very hard, and it has to end sometime.

Last season we finished 7th, in a new league, alot of new players, far to many coming and going and then back again. Never really new who would be there one week to the next. A factor as to why St Blazey didnt finish any higher.

Philpy and the players gave it a good shot and there were some great wins, for example, Falmouth away, 2-0 down with five minutes left and winning 2-3. Winning at Saltash. A 1-1 draw in the F.A cup at Paulton. Sadly a few games where if chances had been taken, 3 points were ours but we were punished for sloppy mistakes.

Crowds ( up until the last couple home games when there was very little to play for) never dipped below the 100 mark. The boxing crowd at home to Bodmin being the highest in the league. 300+

For me, although we didnt win anything, I enjoyed the season following St Blazey just as much as when we were winning trophys for fun. And to top it off, all the players joined the hardy few who travelled to Cullumpton on the final day and made it a beach party theme and dressed up to mark the occasion.

So.....although the outsiders love to see the bad, it clearly wasnt for all of us within.

If the same players were to stay with us, the question is, would we have improved next season. The answer.....probably not. Maybe, but probably not. Maybe things arnt quite set up for the next big push for honours. Things happen for a reason, so maybe a fresh start wont be such a bad thing. A big thankyou to Philpy, Laffs and the players for giving their all. All the best for the new season.

Today, we hear the sad news of Smithy and all this is put into perpective really. Very hard to imagine someone who just a few weeks ago was wearing the green shirt and fighting fit. RIP to a former green.

Heres to the future, good health to everyone, weve won some trophys, were preparing for more!!

Refreshing to read Paul's comments, which would speak for any true Supporter of any Club.

There are no sour grapes at Blaise Park towards the Players who have left us, just the way they treated Philpy.

St Blazey will finish with the front runners this Season.

lets get things straight here.theres no budget at st austell and money wasnt a question when signing.having spoke to commitee,manager etc and seeing the plans for the future,theres exciting times for st austell and we want to be part of it.i can speak for a number of players and say falmouth (3 seasons ago) was the most enjoyable season to date and to get a core of players from that side in our local team would ensure us a good playing team and socially.a number of players including myself couldnt commit to the travelling in the premier division due to work commitments.

chairman,having spoken to philpy prior to presentation night i said i was thinking of stepping down a league(due to work commitments and a few other issues) and didnt receive anymore phone calls.if you want an in depth conversation than pm me and il will sent you my number.

so to dave deacon,chairman and everyone else on here you couldnt be further from the truth.rant other