Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay v Godolphin-Problems for the return match

Now that the Boxing Day dust has settled:and both these Newquay-based starting to push up the table,let there be no doubt that the Good Friday return will just as eagerly anticipated.Who knows ? even a promotion place just might be at stake.For sure the interest in this hotbed of football will be such that the G will have a big money spinner to look forward to.

However,........I fear that the lack of suitable parking facilities at Godolphin Way may discourage several people from attending:and I know that Derek Martin is relishing doing the double and has every right to be optimistic taking on Newquay at home.

I just wonder if the Clubs will agree to switch to Mount Wise to guarantee a bumper pay day: no doubt in the currrent economic climate a chance like this might be an option.

Food for thought!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

It certainly isn't a good enough pitch, let alone a ground to hold a crowd of over 700 in safety and comfort. One entrance is via a small cut through which you have to climb over mud and god knows what else, the other is just a farmers gate over a dirt track.

Parking will be a problem for those who wish to go by car but I would have thought the majority could walk or be dropped off by a willing (or unwilling) partner. For the G v PZ match, most fans just walked in and some 15mins into the match were asked to pay by someone walking round with a book of raffle tickets, which constituted an entrance ticket. This cannot be allowed to happen on such a big match occasion. Furthermore, the tea bar is just not big enough and god knows how many Morrisons pasties they would have to buy, but with nowhere to store them.... what to do ?

The Pub will obviously look for big takings after the match, so that is one reason G will not want to switch, they will also fancy their chances on their own patch, PZ certainly didn't like it.

I hope that the good folk at G sort out the facilities, they have plenty of time to get organised and hopefully there will not be any problems, although getting a decent view of the pitch will cause some problems as we may not see all the revenge goals flying in !!!

I don't think people need to concern themselves too much about our ability to host the home fixture against Newquay.

Certain people have been underestimating our teams ability for a long time (maybe not so much after Boxing Day), and now they are underestimating our Clubs ability to organise and prepare for a big match.

To put peoples minds at rest, we will be speaking to Tretherras School (which is very close to our Ground) in relation to using the school car park for the afternoon. We will have somebody collecting money as people

enter the top car park and the catering will be from the Scout Hut.

The pitch itself will be in good shape, just as it was for Saturdays home fixture with Truro. We have entertained some big Clubs in the past few seasons and had no complaints from any of them including

Truro, Falmouth and Launceston. That said, the playing surface is an area of our Clubs development which is receiving top priority at the moment, and good progress is being made.

We are obviously hopeful that we will get another big crowd for the return match, which will most definately be at Godolphin Way

Whilst we are on this subject i would just like to add that the management and players of Newquay FC have been a credit to their Club in their reaction since the match. Their is obviously a lot of rivalry on the pitch

between the two teams but off it their is nothing but maximum respect, which is superb to see.

Thanks for that,Derek;I have to say that nothing surprises me about your great club.I'm sure that you will have a big money earner on Good Friday.

A couple of questions for you Derek: a) what time is the kick-off, and is Ben Briscoe still around?

Kind regards,

Adlestrop

Guest alex bradley

Thanks for that,Derek;I have to say that nothing surprises me about your great club.I'm sure that you will have a big money earner on Good Friday.

A couple of questions for you Derek: a) what time is the kick-off, and is Ben Briscoe still around?

Kind regards,

Adlestrop

Last i saw he was turning out for Probus but this was late 2007!

Guest Peppermint

I think Derek has summed it up very well and I am sure Godolphin Atlantic will cope very well - lets hope the same numbers are there to watch the match as came to Mount Wise on Boxing Day

I think the League would probably not allow a switch anyway for a league fixture although clubs do seem to be able to switch cup ties.Thanks to Derek for his kind and generous comments regarding Newquay Football Club - both clubs have the utmost reapect for each other and despite the attempts by a very small minority to stir up trouble the Boxing Day match was a great occasion and on the day broke the league record by hundreds. From our point of view the result was not ideal but football won on the day and it is now up to Newquay to bounce back on Good Friday.

It is great for the town of Newquay to have two sides doing really well in the league and both teams recorded good wins at the weekend.

Having missed the Boxing day game, I am really looking forward to the return. I notice the KO time question has not been answered and it should be.

The league website has it at 1100, the Nqy website at 1500

I know it seems a long way off but some of us like to be organised (and maybe get a second game in!).

Guest Peppermint

I have heard of forward planning Baldy but that is impressive - if only Scolari organised his defence at Old Trafford as well!!!!!!!!!

It is Godolphin's home game on Good Friday so I assume they will try and have the kick off time at the most convenient to organise the expected large crowd. The 12 noon at Mount Wise on Boxing Day seemed to work well.